How would you rebuild this 318?

-
No, AJ gave you his opinion of why.
Bingo
None of us has a crystal ball and can tell you exactly what will work and what won't through the internet. Remember that.
Double bingo
I would refresh what you have.
I agree that is the best route.
If the engine needs to be bored out, replacement pistons are the cheapest route. More compression is a low return on power output.
There are other, MUCH less costly ways to make what you have run and run really well. There's no way in heck I'd spend the dough on different pistons and or boring if it's not needed.
Triple bingo
Some of these guys are real good at spending other peoples money. You seem to have bought the bill of goods and kool aid so good luck! I hope you get what you want.
If the OP wants more power, there’s cheap and expensive.

This should be in your sig!

RustyRatRod's Guide To Hot Rod Bliss

IMHO If you are going to spend significant time out on the highway (60 - 80 mph) even with the OD 4 speed I would bet you will find the rpms a bit much Remind me what gears you have in it now...

Are you happy with the power output now? If so, All I would do is put a crank kit in it. You don't bore one "just cause you want to", you bore it if it needs it. Does it smoke now? Use any oil now? Those compression numbers IMO are pretty good with a non stock cam. That tells me rings and valves are sealing good. If you pull the whole thing out and go to boring and buying pistons, new cam and such, you're almost justifying finding a 360. I hate bein "that guy" cause I never am, but honestly, how much more power do you think you'll get with just an over bore and maybe a cam change? You ain't addin 100 HP. You could with a 360. I'm just saying that because I don't know what your expectations are. If all you want is something to cruise around in and have fun with, just repair what you have.
just the difference in cost between repairing what you have now and a stroker kit is probably going to be $1500 min.

if it needs to be bored and the crank turned, and new rods, at that point I'd probably put the engine in the corner, and see if you can find a running junkyard 360 magnum. roller cam regrind/swap and a 4bbl intake and you're looking at a very streetable 350+ HP.

I don't think you will find a stroker kit for a 318 anywhere near $1500. With both the 340 and 360 kits you can find inexpensive ones with hypereutectic pistons and cast cranks. I have never found those hypereutectic stroker kits available for the 318. Many 318 stroker use the quality/expensive diamond piston, so the kits tend to start at $2400 and up.
Pay for the balanced kit if you decide to go that route.The forged crank is your friend to balance.

I don't think you will find a stroker kit for a 318 anywhere near $1500. With both the 340 and 360 kits you can find inexpensive ones with hypereutectic pistons and cast cranks. I have never found those hypereutectic stroker kits available for the 318. Many 318 stroker use the quality/expensive diamond piston, so the kits tend to start at $2400 and up.
Pay for the balanced kit if you decide to go that route.The forged crank is your friend to balance.
no, it's probably closer to $2k, but I'm just saying if his rods need to be resized or if he needs new rods, that subtracts from the cost of the stroker kit differential.....

Could be a cracked hub on your harmonic balancer. I had one that cracked in the keyway and sounded like a rod knock.

Are you sure it's not:
A loose converter bolt?
Cracked flex plate?
Loose balancer bolt?
Loose lower pulley bolts?

How many miles are on it? if it has a bad rod or main bearing why would it need bored out again.

Must take apart and know what's wrong first.

Check that first, cheap and easy fix.
if you want more oomph, consider lower gears. I wouldn't go lower than 3.91's. I have 4.10's in my car, and I am hitting 4k on the tach at 70 on the freeway. Great in town, or on the back roads where you have a lot of twisties to accelerate out of. It sucks on the freeway, a LOT.

No need to change the heads to a 2.02 intake
While repairing bottom end. Change compression and quench with new pistons.
Consider 833OD and 3:73 gears to perfect the combination.

If I've got this wrong, please tell me.
I like this plan. AJ' s post convinced me on the 833od and 3.73 or 3.55.

I like this plan. AJ' s post convinced me on the 833od and 3.73 or 3.55.
A route I’m preparing to take. I’ll use 3.55’s w/245/60/15’s and a small cam. 220@050. The math on the 1st and OD ratio works out well for what I’m looking for.

The first gear ratio is a slight high @10.96 while the OD (.71 - truck OD trans) comes to 2.52.

While not the ideal ratio set up, the 2.52 will be best for interstate traveling and the first gear ratio for traffic driving is good.

A route I’m preparing to take. I’ll use 3.55’s w/245/60/15’s and a small cam. 220@050. The math on the 1st and OD ratio works out well for what I’m looking for.

The first gear ratio is a slight high @10.96 while the OD (.71 - truck OD trans) comes to 2.52.

While not the ideal ratio set up, the 2.52 will be best for interstate traveling and the first gear ratio for traffic driving is good.

I like my cam (222/224 @.050, irc) but the 1:1 on my 3.21 rear gear is just not quite doing it for interstate travel. With the OD I’ll be able to be comfortable with the posted 75 mph interstates.
I can also cruise 1st gear in parking lots without lurching!

Check that first, cheap and easy fix.
if you want more oomph, consider lower gears. I wouldn't go lower than 3.91's. I have 4.10's in my car, and I am hitting 4k on the tach at 70 on the freeway. Great in town, or on the back roads where you have a lot of twisties to accelerate out of. It sucks on the freeway, a LOT.
I think that 3.55s are good enough for in town driving, they will get you good acceleration from a stop. I had 3.73's in my '73 dart and the
I like my cam (222/224 @.050, irc) but the 1:1 on my 3.21 rear gear is just not quite doing it for interstate travel. With the OD I’ll be able to be comfortable with the posted 75 mph interstates.
I can also cruise 1st gear in parking lots without lurching!
Do you remember what the lift is for your cam? The duration at 0.050 looks good to me

Do you remember what the lift is for your cam? The duration at 0.050 looks good to me
.468. 224/[email protected], SFT. Low compression ‘73 340, stock bore, 273 rockers, stock heads/manifolds, LD340 intake.
I would like to optimize the iron heads and use a different piston and head gasket.
It’s my cruiser so I don’t want to tear it down yet.

-
Back