Engine Paint Job

-

BadAssDodge

Reaction score
hey guys, I was just wondering whats the best way to paint a engine block? Is it as easy as going to Kragen and buying 2 bottles of spray paint, mask the block, and spray, or should it be primered or coated? I know some people just paint over the metal, but is there better ways to do this? :joker:

and one more thing, the block was covered but outdoors, and some rust began to form. I pretty much cleaned out the cylinder bores with wd40 and a synthetic scuff pad, one cylinder might need steel whool because the rust is a little rougher, but should come off. Is there something that will keep the rust from coming back?

if you really want a good finish on your block ,bare metal it ,use an etch primer ,and then use two pack paint , as for the rust ,if it is in bits make sure it is nice and dry ,clean it up and greas it and thro it in a bin bag and keep it dry ,

Painting your engine is easy. If the block is clean and has a factory coat of paint on it already, you don't need to prime. Just make sure it clean and oil free. If you have a bare block, I would prime it. As for the paint itself, that is up to you. If you dont want to spend too much money, rattle can is the way to go. Now, if you want a good high quality paint used an automotive paint. Single stage paint would be best. No need to use a base coat/clear coat on an engine. :)

As for the rust, clean the area good. Get all the surface rust off. Then coat the area with WD-40. If you are planning to store it outside for a while, then I would cover it with greese and wrape it up good with plastic. :thumrigh:

Larry G.

Hey Bad ***:
If you can handle that thing you've got in your hands to the left of your post i'm sure you can handle a little o paint job there dude. That's my favorite color of red too. High heat engine enamal.

:lol: yah, the block is bare right now, but ive never done a paint job, and the rust kinda concerened me. I dont want to paint it and then have the rust come through, even though its not a lot.

BadAssDodge said:
:lol: yah, the block is bare right now, but ive never done a paint job, and the rust kinda concerened me. I dont want to paint it and then have the rust come through, even though its not a lot.

If you sand all the rust spot off, then clean the block with denature alcahol the rust will not come back. If you keep the block bare with out the paint to seal and protect it. Rust will come back.

thanks for all the replies guys, I wish i could say this is for a 440 i have for my next project, but its actually a Chevy motor, a small block 400, that I bought years ago for really cheap. Just didnt want to get a Chevy, so im going to put it in a 70-73 Datsun 240 Z. Wont start this until late 2005/Early 2006, but it should be fun.

-
Back