How many of you grease your own trailer axles?

-
I'd be worried about failure. Normal styles can tolerate a little misuse as long as you check them at the beginning of the season. If you lose a seal in an oil bath.....You've got nothing. I suspect that we wouldn't get the same quality set up that you'd see on a semi. I'd carry a spare hub and hope that a bad bearing wouldn't take out the spindle.......I do like the idea though.
Works on semis with the 10s of thousands of miles they put on in a year. We had a couple that both drove their Freightshaker, 100k in 4 months. There was a few others that were similar.

Works on semis with the 10s of thousands of miles they put on in a year. We had a couple that both drove their Freightshaker, 100k in 4 months. There was a few others that were similar.
I agree. My thoughts.......Most semis have a great maintenance schedule and most of the small stuff would be caught before it became big stuff. If folks can't keep their bearings greased, they would probably miss a weeping seal. Hit a rock, the sight glass breaks unknowingly.....stranded.

Ii
Did you pull the hubs off to clean and repack the bearings and relace the axle seals, or do you have dust caps with grease fittings? I do not like the grease fittings. If you pumped a full grease tube in each hub, they are totally full. There is a grease well in the center of each hub that holds grease. As the hub warms up driving down the road the grease melts a little and some can flow into the bearing as it requires it.
When you pump it totally full the grease rotates in like layers with friction which heats the grease. Eventually it can get hot enough to be like gear oil. It can get hot enough to be like a torque converter in stall for an extended time, big heat.
Semis trailer bearings run with gear oil. The hub caps have a clear center so you can see the oil level and the center has a rubber bung to add oil. There is an "embossed" area to indicate the full level.
I do not know why there is not an equivalent for car and RV trailers.
Truck and vans, one ton and HD3/4 tons with the Dana 60's also use the rearend oil as a lubricant, not grease. Whenever you turn a hard left or right the oil is sent to the bearings.
Yes - two things from China u DONT want
Bearings or Condom

Ex stepdaughter would break a glass or bowl and respond "**** happens". Drove me nuts when the ex bought glass bowls and her daughter broke all six in 6 days nuking eggs to make an egger sandwich for breakfast. You would have thought after the first 2 she would have caught on but nope. **** happens.
Just have to keep a close eye on things. I like to pull into every rest atea with the car trailer just to check tie downs, tires and bearings for getting hotter than normal and that the lights are working. Usually about an hour of driving between checks. MT trailer I will drive at 110kph which is about 70mph. With a car or my subcompact tractor on I keep it down to 55mph. The people that blast down the highways at 90mph are generally the ones that have the problems.

Ii

Truck and vans, one ton and HD3/4 tons with the Dana 60's also use the rearend oil as a lubricant, not grease. Whenever you turn a hard left or right the oil is sent to the bearings.
Most 1/2 trucks and cars use splash lube gear oil to the bearings. Those trucks are all built with full floating axles like the big boys. The older Fords with the 9" used sealed bearings with the bearings pressed on the axle.

Ii

I hate chinesium socks as they wear holes way too fast. They get a verbal darn way faster than it is possible to do the mend darn.
I really do not trust Chinesium skivies. After the lead paint children's toys and melanine in milk BS, I have no faith in what may be in the dyes. The C19 load of lies, with nano lipid graphine oxides and mRNA jab scam, I developed an even greater aversion to the recycled Yak turd ****. Those in the WEF, WHO and UN should all be in jail.

Ex stepdaughter would break a glass or bowl and respond "**** happens". Drove me nuts when the ex bought glass bowls and her daughter broke all six in 6 days nuking eggs to make an egger sandwich for breakfast. You would have thought after the first 2 she would have caught on but nope. **** happens.
Just have to keep a close eye on things. I like to pull into every rest atea with the car trailer just to check tie downs, tires and bearings for getting hotter than normal and that the lights are working. Usually about an hour of driving between checks. MT trailer I will drive at 110kph which is about 70mph. With a car or my subcompact tractor on I keep it down to 55mph. The people that blast down the highways at 90mph are generally the ones that have the problems.
I backhand the rims and check for abnormal heat.

Need to watch how hard you backhand them. You could hurt your knuckles. :)
Just my goofy sense of humous getting out. That is what I do as well. 2 hours driving max and it is time to get out and stretch the legs, so checking tire and bearing temps, tiedown straps and lights is a good idea. Usually due to drain the crankcase and get another coffee for the road.

I understand the concern about the oil bath rearing conversion. From what I have found from local boat and rv trailer shops the oil baths are more reliable and easy to check for oil level thru the cover and can be filled easily. If you have questions contact ETrailer they respond fairly quick and seem honest.

The other issue with trailers these day are Chinese brakes. On long down hills on high passes mine over heat and begin to chatter and vibrate. I am also going to converting to these brakes since my trailer has parking brakes disc conversion are another option. Additionally, I will buy a extra hub and bearing setup.

For me and my application bearing or brake failure in the middle of nowhere [Death Vally] is not how I want to spend my vacation.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter/T2351300-200.html

-
Back