Is 20W-50 too heavy for my 340?

-
I ran 20-50 (30 years ago) and only 10-30 now. The funny thing is I went to a thinner oil and build my engines looser than I ever did back then.

That’s one of the things I keep in my vault but it starts with thrust clearance. I’m not getting into a spot where I have to defend what I do but it works for me.
That is exactly the answer I was hoping you wouldn’t give.

What you do works and you can't give up too many tricks, only the one's everyone already know.
Some you have to keep to yourself, except for food recipes.
I'm hungry what's for Sunday dinner.

lol there are no tricks or speed secrets with bearing clearance.

That’s one of the things I keep in my vault but it starts with thrust clearance. I’m not getting into a spot where I have to defend what I do but it works for me.

There’s not one place I used the word “trick” in this statement. I just said I didn’t want to defend what I do. And I’ll add explain why I do it. On this site some guys ask or expect for an answer and when you give them one want to jump on you and say, ohhhh no that will never work and you shouldn’t do that. Well I do and it works. No special secret just maybe a little different.

What you do works and you can't give up too many tricks, only the one's everyone already know.
Some you have to keep to yourself, except for food recipes.
I'm hungry what's for Sunday dinner.

I think I’ve given out several tricks and tips in porting and pictures to explain. I know I’ve helped a few guys have a little more confidence and actually pick up grinders and make some chips. As far as Sunday lunch and dinner after church I used my cell phone to call in a medium pizza and a hot sausage hoagie to pick up on the way home. I wiped out six pieces of pizza and took a nice nap. Now it’s shop time and I’m
Sure more pizza later.

So This is my take away from asking if 20W is to heavy for my 340.

1. The question is application specific.
2. It depends upon the bearing clearances which is a function of engine set up and wear (mileage).
3. Depends upon ambient and operating temperatures.
4. Depends to a small degree on how you drive and what your looking for.
5. Depends upon what your oil pressure is and what you’re currently using (oil weight).

If I left anything major out above feel free to add it.

BUT in general 20W-50 is commonly being used in the 70’s small block Mopars and I am sure in 327’s and many other engines across the board.

In my case it’s probably what I used to run and what I had in the shop. I have it now in my car and when I am up to the task in getting it running will assess the oil pressure and go from there.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys!

If

So This is my take away from asking if 20W is to heavy for my 340.

1. The question is application specific.
2. It depends upon the bearing clearances which is a function of engine set up and wear (mileage).
3. Depends upon ambient and operating temperatures.
4. Depends to a small degree on how you drive and what your looking for.
5. Depends upon what your oil pressure is and what you’re currently using (oil weight).

If I left anything major out above feel free to add it.

BUT in general 20W-50 is commonly being used in the 70’s small block Mopars and I am sure in 327’s and many other engines across the board.

In my case it’s probably what I used to run and what I had in the shop. I have it now in my car and when I am up to the task in getting it running will assess the oil pressure and go from there.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys!

If
How is it for ZDDP content? I'm assuming you're running a flat tappet camshaft?

How is it for ZDDP content? I'm assuming you're running a flat tappet camshaft?
I believe he's using VR1 20/50, my oil of choice, plenty of zinc.
I've used Valvoline racing oil for many years, I'll never switch, it's never failed me. not one flat cam, zero failure.

Brad Penn recommended 20w-50
Year round for my 340 with Factory Tolerances and a flat tappet cam.
I also live in AZ.

Just trying to give what an oil company said.

Vr1 20w-50 is what I use now mainly for convenience, both are Good oils with plenty of zddp For flat tappet cams.
To the OP, that is what I'd recommend for your 340...

-
Back