Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
1716204536446.png

Yesterday I had to sort out a gentleman that failed on the FBI qual. When he got here I did a pre shoot interview to figure out how to communicate with him, then took him to the range. He was indignant that I made him literally start shooting from a sitting position on a bag, clearly not part of the FBI shooting qualification! But you really can sort out bad mechanics far faster that way. Once we got some basics refined a bit we stood up and then got pretty serious about it. By then I had earned his trust and we did much better. The qual forces you to shoot one handed both strong and weak side. Plus timed reloads etc. stuff he had really never practiced, all with some pretty short timed standards. Long story short we got him squared away and he rocked the qualifier. He was very happy. Being a Coach, mentor or instructor there is just no better feeling than watching a student actually apply the input corrections then see the dramatic results. He left one very (qualified) happy guy, and I got the satisfaction of knowing I made a positive impact on another guy willing to stand in the gap and protect good people. A good day on the range.

I hadn't received alerts for this thread and eventually lost track of it. It took me a while to catch up on all the posts that I missed. I've been working on conserving a couple rifles since my last posts.

I purchased this George Gibbs Steyr 1893 rifle chambered in 6.5x53 Rimmed last year. The bluing was in excellent condition. The original oil finish had degraded to a sticky, black goo that needed to be completely stripped and refinished.

Rifle was finished and I spent time at the range working up an accurate load. I took the old girl deer hunting last year. Made a 100 yard open sight shot on this 7-point buck. The buck rolled down the mountain and broke off his right antler. Needed a coup de grace neck shot.

IMG_6178 (3).jpg

Just completed this project. This is a Remington-Lee 1899 sporting rifle in 30-40 Krag. Remington made a total of about 1440 of these sporting rifles in all calibers combined. I purchased the rifle off of an auction site and it was in need of love. The bore is rough but I am getting excellent groups with reloads. This will be my deer rifle this year.

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

Finally, this is my current project. A Swedish rolling block in 8x58 Rimmed that I'm going to make into a proper sporting rifle. The bore is excellent condition. Should be a fun project.

IMG_6514 (1).jpg

Finally, this is my current project. A Swedish rolling block in 8x58 Rimmed that I'm going to make into a proper sporting rifle. The bore is excellent condition. Should be a fun project.

View attachment 1716252818
Wow, just wow. Amazing work. I simply do not have the patience for restoring the old rifles. The guys that do the restoration thing like you are doing always amaze me at the shows. Each rifle is like a work of art. Well done good Sir. Love the falling block. I compete with a sharps in 45-70 custom Pedersoli. It is basically a modern recreation but she is beautiful to me. I really like the falling blocks.

IMG_7286.jpeg

Sublime, your Sharps are beautiful. The one picture on the left has gorgeous wood. Single shot rifles are alluring. I have a Japanese Winchester 1885 in 45-70 that is a tack driver. It's a heavy rifle to carry around in the woods.
I only recently became interested in the rolling blocks. The simplicity of the design is brilliant.

Sublime, your Sharps are beautiful. The one picture on the left has gorgeous wood. Single shot rifles are alluring. I have a Japanese Winchester 1885 in 45-70 that is a tack driver. It's a heavy rifle to carry around in the woods.
I only recently became interested in the rolling blocks. The simplicity of the design is brilliant.
Agreed, one of the Sharps is 45-70 and the other is 45-110. We were dialing in for a long range match. I was experimenting with some hand loads. This was during the Covid crazy times and no powder was to be had so I worked up a load using Unique which I had on hand. We were shooting at 800 yards. Bright no wind sunny winter day. It was just a great day. I am still using Unique to this day for the 45-70 as ultimately the recipe I ended up with really preformed. And yes the rifle weighs in at about 500 pounds! No way I would want to lug it around for very long!

So yesterday I had the pleasure of helping out our local LEO K9 trainer. He and his Father are both K9 military LEO trainers. The son decided to bail and make a go of it as an independent business. So he can now work with multiple PDs and have a wider reach. Thus far he has been doing pretty well. And yes of course I am angling for a new pup! Hemi is deteriorating quickly and this guy has moved away from GSDs and focuses more on Mals and Mal crosses. We burned a lot of rounds yesterday and talked dogs non stop. He likes my Mal pup! Man did he get a training discount!

So in preparation for a big event next month I have decided to throw up a shelter pavilion type structure. I am utilizing material I have on hand so it might be a bit ugly! I bet my shooters won’t care. Having a bit of shade on a sunny hot day can make a real difference. Or rain of course. Gracie the Mal pup was helping me till she decided to find a shady spot! Reminded me of that meme showing the construction workers under the back hoe self suspended by bucket and back hoe! It will be 21ft long by 11 ft wide.

IMG_1571.jpeg

IMG_1570.jpeg

IMG_1573.jpeg

IMG_1568.jpeg

Still a long way to go but the shooters shelter is actually starting to look like something. Weekend is upon me so back to the grindstone. I have students all weekend.

View attachment 1716256793
thinking-face.png
Perhaps you could put them to work. Tell them it's an exercise to improve their manual dexterity and warm up before the physicality of the class. :thumbsup::elmer:

View attachment 1716256871 Perhaps you could put them to work. Tell them it's an exercise to improve their manual dexterity and warm up before the physicality of the class. :thumbsup::elmer:
Make it a role playing scenario, to see how quickly they can be at arms

They are the settlers and you and an undisclosed amount of Indians will attack them
(Of course, the attack doesn't take place untill after the shelter is finished)

-
Back