Sanden A/C Compressor to fit a 273

-

Bossanova5

Reaction score
Hello All,
Doing a Slant Six to 273 swap. I have a Sanden A/C compressor currently on my Slant Six.
Does anyone know where I can find a Sanden A/C compressor bracket that will fit a 273?
Thanks in advance.

If you have U pull junk yards you could look for an 80's 5th Ave.

That will have a sanden bracket for a 318, which will work.

A small block truck is a possible option, too.
Up until 91 I think.

If you have U pull junk yards you could look for n 80's 5th Ave.

That will have a sanden bracket for a 318, which will work.

A small block truck is a possible option, too.
Up until 91 I think.
that's a possibility, and yeah the bracket set up from late 70's thru 91ish would work with a little futzing about.

the support struts attach to the intake manifold, so you'd need an aftermarket or a stock 318/360 from that time. the alt mount is different and frequently takes a different style (GM) alternator, that's 50/50 there.

then there's the timing cover/waterpump/pulley/radiator considerations. i *think* it might work with a stock cover and pump, without the timing mark being too obscured. but unless you want to run that whole set up wholesale, you'll definitely run into some compatibility issues.

Thanks. Wow they are pricey!

Makes me want to buy a water jet table.
I recently installed a Classic Air kit and was shocked how much the brackets were.
They even come all scratched up.
They told me they all do from their supplier.

IMG_4151.jpeg
As somebody who has PS and AC and headers on a 273 in an early a body with the factory cast iron water pump the classic auto air brackets for a 318 be prepared for cutting and modifying ALOT! Best to do this on a stand and 360 degree views to keep the pulleys aligned so you don’t throw belts.
You need to make a lot of spacers and most of the bolts in the kit don’t fit the cast water pump. If you swap over to the aluminum water pump then the front cover needs to be swapped along with the proper pulleys. It can be done. Just be patient and take your time.
Syleng1

Very nice
Can you post a few more photos of your setup so I have a better idea of what to do?
Thanks

So-is the 273 in a 69 or earlier car with the cast iron water pump? If so, all above suggestions are for the 70 up aluminum setups, everything is different. Vintage Air has a kit for the 69 and down, part number 161004.

If you have an angle grinder and a mig welder, just get some small block brackets and cut and marry some brackets.

The Classic Auto Air brackets come from Bouchilon (BPE) so don't pay CAA's mark up. (my brackets had Bouchilon printed right on the bracket). If you are using factory AC pulleys DON'T use the Classic Air/Bouchilon brackets that put the AC compressor and the Alternator on the same belts. The grooves are misalligned and you will only be able to use one belt instead of a pair - squeal city!!! I spent a lot of time finding pulleys and spacers to move the crank pulley, the alternator and the power steering forward (while keeping the fan in the same place to use twin belts on mine. You can't move the compressor back since it's already right up to the thermostat housing, so everything else has to come forward.

Last edited:
-
Back