Mopar mopar forum
 HOME  FORUMS  MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY  HOW TO ARTICLES  REGISTER  
 TODAYS POSTS  MEMBER CLASSIFIEDS  VIN DECODER  VIDEO GALLERY
Our Network:  B BODY MOPAR FORUM  C BODY MOPAR FORUM  E BODY MOPAR FORUM  FMJ BODY MOPAR FORUM  PICKUP TRUCK FORUM  FOR JEEPS ONLY

Go Back   For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum > Automotive Technical Forums > Mopar General Discussions

1968 Barracuda Fastback 340 Formula S?

Mopar General Discussions

Forabodiesonly.com is the premier Classic Mopar forum on the internet. Registered Members do not see the above ads. Click Here to Join - It's Free!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
70 mopar

70 mopar's Flag is: United States
1968 Barracuda Fastback 340 Formula S?

I've found a '68 Formula S w/ 340, 4 speed trans. Seriously thinking of grabbing this one. Everything is there, and all original, and it will run and drive. Have a few questions though. It has rust, bottom of doors, under the lip of the trunk lid (not on the edge), quarters (new ones included with the car), and I a bit on the front fenders (not too bad). Common rust areas for this car? Any places unique to this car that I should be checking? Frame rails are solid as are the floor pans and trunk pan. Wondering what would be a fair price to pay for something like this? I have no pics to post unfortunately. Any input would be helpful.
70 mopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
BB-Dave

BB-Dave's Flag is: United States
Car have fender tag and build sheet? Place to check for rust on the front frame rails is in between the 2 welded on tabs where the upper A-arm bolts to. There is about a 6" or so pocket inbetween the tabs where dirt just gathers and sit in the pocket. Then stays wet and rots out the top of the frame rail. I think you could fix it if need be. Price??? What's he asking? Doesn't sound like the car is to bad. Westlake NY?
BB-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
70 mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB-Dave View Post
Car have fender tag and build sheet? Place to check for rust on the front frame rails is in between the 2 welded on tabs where the upper A-arm bolts to. There is about a 6" or so pocket inbetween the tabs where dirt just gathers and sit in the pocket. Then stays wet and rots out the top of the frame rail. I think you could fix it if need be. Price??? What's he asking? Doesn't sound like the car is to bad. Westlake NY?
The fender tag is there. No idea about the build sheet yet. I can get the car for $2000.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
cudaspaz

cudaspaz

cudaspaz's Flag is: United States
Buy it, an S car 340, 4 speed for $2-k with minimal rust and no major unibody damage or rust..you need to jump on that especially if it's all intact.
cudaspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
70 mopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaspaz View Post
Buy it, an S car 340, 4 speed for $2-k with minimal rust and no major unibody damage or rust..you need to jump on that especially if it's all intact.
The paint is bubbling (rust issues) on the fenders behind the tires, quarters are kinda bad (hence the replacements). Bottom of the inside of the doors also where the skin rolls over and crimps down (explained well enough??) All of the car is there, absolutely everything. I'm a little nervous cause I've ended up with the dreaded rust bucket more than once. I fell in LOVE, and we know love is blind as can be sometimes. Trying to keep a cool head this time, LOL. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
4spdragtop
WTH YOU LOOKIN AT??

4spdragtop

4spdragtop's Flag is: Virgin Islands
I agree a complete "S" for 2k....whaddya waiting for??
4spdragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
BB-Dave

BB-Dave's Flag is: United States
WOW, i was thinking $3-4-5-6k before you said 2k. What are the colors? I too wouldn't think twice on that car/price. It would have been in my driveway before i posted here. My post would have been "Look what i found for only $2k!!!!!" You could likely sell the complete motor/trans for that kinda $$. I'm looking at buying a complete '69 340 motor, air cleaner to oil pan, exhaust manifolds, with #'s matching auto trans for 3k and i gotta drive 15 hours 1 way to get it!!!......OH did i SAY i was crazy???????
BB-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
73AbodEE
The Anti-Virus

73AbodEE

73AbodEE's Flag is: United States
buy it
73AbodEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
krazykuda
FABO Gold Member

krazykuda's Flag is: United States
Check for rust on inner fender wells, door striker, and on the frame near the torsion bar mounts. Also check floor boards and spare tire well and sides of trunk near bottom of rear quarters.

$2k If it is nice and you pass, let us know...
krazykuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
CudaChris67

CudaChris67

CudaChris67's Flag is: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykuda View Post
Check for rust on inner fender wells, door striker, and on the frame near the torsion bar mounts. Also check floor boards and spare tire well and sides of trunk near bottom of rear quarters.

$2k If it is nice and you pass, let us know...
+1

Just be prepared to actually change the quarters to get the car the way it should be (and probably some other metal in the wheel well, truck extension, rocker)

Its do-able with some determination and lots of welding! not for the weak at heart!
CudaChris67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
70 mopar

Looked again today. Took a pic and will try and upload later. Fenders could end up with issues. Hopefully i can dig up somw if needed.....
And....I heard it crank and run today! I'll update later. Ill pass it on if i pass on her, but i may have a keeper for me. Thanks all!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
70 mopar

Looked again today. Took a pic and will try and upload later. Fenders could end up with issues. Hopefully i can dig up somw if needed.....
And....I heard it crank and run today! I'll update later. Ill pass it on if i pass on her, but i may have a keeper for me. Thanks all!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
69CudaFan

69CudaFan

69CudaFan's Flag is: United States
Unless this is a deal worked out between friends, I would give him some good faith money first, and ask questions later! 2k for that car condition that runs would be a find, especially if it is all there. Just be patient and do the car up right.

Waiting patiently for pics. Nice find!
69CudaFan is offline   Reply With Quote