Mopar mopar forum
 HOME  FORUMS  MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY  HOW TO ARTICLES  REGISTER  
 TODAYS POSTS  MEMBER CLASSIFIEDS  VIN DECODER  VIDEO GALLERY
Our Network:  B BODY MOPAR FORUM  C BODY MOPAR FORUM  E BODY MOPAR FORUM  FMJ BODY MOPAR FORUM  PICKUP TRUCK FORUM  FOR JEEPS ONLY

Go Back   For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum > Automotive Technical Forums > Mopar Body and Trim
Forgot Your Password? Join Us!

Removing Lower Valance

Mopar Body and Trim

Forabodiesonly.com is the premier Classic Mopar forum on the internet. Registered Members do not see the above ads. Click Here to Join - It's Free!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
jhdeval

jhdeval

jhdeval's Flag is: United States
Removing Lower Valance

Okay so apparently my Barracuda has been hit on the passenger front side at some point in the past. Well rather then fixing it they hid it and now that I am trying to replace my lower valance I am finding how far the damage goes. Turns out the person who "fixed" it used a bolt and nut to attach several of the mounting points. On top of that the bolts/nuts seems as though they were used and rounded. I can not get any power tools in there I have tried a metric wrench slightly smaller and it won't grip the head. I have tried heat and that allowed me to snap the head off of one. Any ideas one the other 2? Options for breaking them or griping or anything?
jhdeval is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Badart
dillingerchassis.com

Badart

Badart's Flag is: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeval View Post
Okay so apparently my Barracuda has been hit on the passenger front side at some point in the past. Well rather then fixing it they hid it and now that I am trying to replace my lower valance I am finding how far the damage goes. Turns out the person who "fixed" it used a bolt and nut to attach several of the mounting points. On top of that the bolts/nuts seems as though they were used and rounded. I can not get any power tools in there I have tried a metric wrench slightly smaller and it won't grip the head. I have tried heat and that allowed me to snap the head off of one. Any ideas one the other 2? Options for breaking them or griping or anything?
can you get a long bolt in there and tack it to the bolt head with a mig. Works like a charm.
Badart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
RedFish

RedFish

You wont find many lower valance bolts that aren't extremely rusted. I have 2 here and both now have slotted holes.
RedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
jhdeval

jhdeval

I wish i have on the outside edge where the bolt head is about 4 inches and the inside I am pretty open.

There are three bolt holes the one I am having a problem with is the center one.

And then this bolt hole which is directly under the headlight here I have almost no room.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
jhdeval

jhdeval

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFish View Post
You wont find many lower valance bolts that aren't extremely rusted. I have 2 here and both now have slotted holes.
I totally expected this but had they continued to use the correct hardware i could snap it and the just remove the bolt body.

Either way at this point I don't know what to do. I need to remove them but I don't want to destroy my fender in the process.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
green1

green1

grinder.
green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
jhdeval

jhdeval

I ended up using a dremel on these small bolts it worked like a champ but when it came to removing the 1/2 bolts used on the fender itself it was a bit less effective. Still worked but took for-freaking-ever.