10" drum auto adjusters?

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
OK, I installed the brakes on my 76 8 1/4 yesterday and did the drivers side first. Came out perfect and seems to be just like the book. Did the passenger side and the auto adjuster seems to centerline too high to engage the adjusting star. Messed with it for a couple hours and gave up. Double and triple checked everything, to no avail. Who has an idea of what the hell? TIA----DR:coffee2:

How about a few pictures so we can see what's going on... It can help us help you....

You know that the adjusting bar has different threads for each side. One side is right hand thread, the other is left hand thread. I can't remember which is which at this time, but that could cause an issue.

Also is the cable properly wrapped around the 1/4 round bracket and not behind it? Is the end properly hooked into the adjuster lever?

Are you sure that you have the proper parts and someone didn't slip in a mickey???

Here you go! Had all existing hardware that come out of original brakes and new rebuild kits from Rock Auto as well. Photos are of problem passenger side.

Attachments

• Brake1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Brake2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 130
OK I don't see much wrong other than arrangement at upper post.
T washer goes on first, then the cable with flat side to washer. Then the cable guide has a little neck that needs to stay in the hole while spring is attached holding it there. Finally the other upper return spring.
If the cable guide wasn't in the hole the adjust paw would sit too low.
To check threads and orientation rotate the adjust from bottom up just as the paw should turn it. The adjuster should get longer.

I had that issue before, and I just wiggled everything and it settled into place. Maybe it's that simple for you?

Just a wild guess here... the upper eye of the cable guide may have a large enough hole to let it onto the larger step of the post. That would indeed hold the paw up a tad.
the large hole isn't for fit. It's for freedom of movement and cable alignment

I think Redfish nailed it. Thanks to all, I know what to do now. On both sides I placed the upper cable attachement over the large post. I need to re-do both sides removing the upper cable eye, install the Tee retainer over large post, install cable eye onto small post and re-attach return springs. Thanks a ton all for your input. Will advise.:prayer:

Just a wild guess here... the upper eye of the cable guide may have a large enough hole to let it onto the larger step of the post. That would indeed hold the paw up a tad.
the large hole isn't for fit. It's for freedom of movement and cable alignment

Nice.
Now I don't have to write all that. :D

Well its going to be a GOOD day! I made the changes Redfish suggested and problem solved. Once again proving that FABO makes it possible for us to build A-body Mopars much easier than without FABO. Thanks All!:cheers:

-
Back