1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project

-
Today's chapter: Oiling the Tin Man

I could hear the car groan, "Ahhh, that's the spot! A little more to the right!", as I sprayed WD40 onto the hinges, and silicone around the dash's push buttons. The hood now pops up when the primary release is pulled. No more creaks from the hood or door hinges. The hood even lifts evenly now.

Door latches are working much more freely. I need to go into a couple doors and lube the mechanisms.

The accelerator pump on the Carter BBD was shot, so I rebuilt the carb yesterday. The kit was less than $20 and they had it on the shelf at Autozone. Can't beat that! Something is leaking pretty good under the car. Must either be a rear main, front pump seal on the tranny, or a leaking tranny line. The car is on dirt right now, and it just rained, so I haven't been able to get under there.

ab, very nice score. That thing is a cream puff. I'm not sure I'd even call that a project. Other than carpet and seats, it looks great. Congratulations!

Wow ab, that is a way cool project you have there! I think it will be awesome to open the hood and see dual quads on top of the poly 318 that would be very period correct. When I was a little kid my dad had a 1959 Desoto Golden Adventurer with a 383 w/ 2-4bbls and it was cool to open the hood and see those 2 oval gold colored air cleaners. The only down side of the car was whenever he would step on the gas too hard the gas guage went down as fast as the speedometer went up.
:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Interesting project.. you won't see two of those at a car show! Might still be able to find a 2X4 setup from Offenhauser....

I'm guessing we won't be seeing this one get a Dana 60 and mini-tubs then...

Or will we?

Alan

Congrats on the find AB! I would have replied sooner, but am in the middle of a move and am currently leaching off my tenants internet till I get my own net access installed.

I will say, I am green with envy. You have SUCH a nice start on a great driver. I'm sure the wife will appreciate dual quads on that Polly :D What color combo do you plan on going with? If you were closer, I would probably try and talk you into one of my 440s as I will have no indoor storage for a while. Might just have to see if my tenant wants to convert his D 350 over to a 440. If not, I have a 360/727 combo for him. He has done a lot for us since we moved in...

Congrats on the find tho!

:happy1:

j

I used to hide a key on top of the gasket in the master cylinder.

Nice car, keep us posted on progress.

Would a cross-ram intake fit this ? That would be cool.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6QFuFtvPY"]COMMERCIAL FOR 1960 DODGE DART-As Aired On "The Lawrence Welk Show" (ABC-October 10. 1959) - YouTube[/ame]

"First completely new car in the low priced field in 32 years"

Is it wrong that I think this is sexy??? :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k4LBzwO_0g"]Marie Pumping and Cranking the 1960 Dodge Preview - YouTube[/ame]

What's funny is that is exactly how mine acted until I replaced the accelerator pump!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny. I really think the '60 is a good looking car with a lot going for it. Apparently not many have shared the thought as there is very little resto info and parts available:dontknow:

I bet there isnt many left of them old B bodies.

The b-body was introduced in '62 models. This Dart is bigger.

About thinking a girl in heels pumping the accelerator is sexy...I remember in the '60's Mopar owner's manuals there was always a drawing of a high-heel on the pedal....

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 183
Wow, that is gawdy, tacky...its perfect! That grill and dash are awesome! My '65 seats were the same, seat buns turned into the stuff you stick flowers into at a florist, just compressed powder.

ab, I happen to know where a 2x4 intake is for that poly motor if you are interested. It's cast iron and I don't remember if it is OEM or after market. PM me you email address and I'll get some pictures to you.

Bill S.

Bought a gas pump yesterday to go with the car;)

The pump isn't quite as old or classy, the design first came out in '68, but it was the pump used to fill countless muscle cars during their heyday. I actually used this very pump 20 years ago when I used to ride my motorcycle through New River on weekend cruises.

Article about the station where the pump came from:

Outdoor museum lures tourists

by Tucson Citizen on Aug. 19, 1999, under Tucson and Arizona

PHOENIX – Maybe it’s the rocket that catches the eye, or the fins of a vintage Cadillac targeting the endless desert sky, or gas pumps that go back to a time when a gallon of gas was a dime.

Then again, it could be the sign peaking above the Black Canyon Highway that lures travelers. ”Jack *** Acres,” it reads.

Some roll into Jack *** Acres for a cold soda, water for a dry radiator or air for a flat tire.

But many come to look. From France, from Germany, from Japan and Toledo, Ohio. Posing in front of this scrappy outpost, shaking hands with the bearded, bespectacled owner, Joe Airdo.

They come to Arizona, says Airdo, for the same reason he came as a teenager, steering his ’63 Bonneville from his home in Chicago across Route 66: to see the West.

Life, of course, was different in the desert around New River 20 years ago when Airdo came to stay. Down the road on the old Black Canyon Highway, the owner of one watering hole used to fire shots into the ceiling – a wild, wild West gesture signaling the bar was closed. If you wanted to get to Cave Creek, you had to be willing to drive a dirt road.

The old saloon has been torn down. Nearby, an outlet mall trying to disguise itself as a Spanish mission hugs the desert. And then there’s Anthem.

New River claims to be the gateway to the Sonoran Desert, but now Del Webb has a stake here with a master-planned community that includes a school, country club and a community center with a rock-climbing wall.

Even an exit with a ”nice Western name,” Airdo says – Desert Hills exit – has been changed to Anthem Way, calling out to American dream chasers.

”What,” he asks, ”are they going to see . . . if the West is gone?”

In a way, Jack *** Acres answers the question, even though Airdo never intended to become a sight to see.

At 19, he owned his own print shop in Chicago. Before he turned 30, the rat race got to him.

He remembered Arizona. After floating through the state in his Pontiac as a teenager, then on his honeymoon with his wife Pamela, he dreamed of living in the West.

”They were very slow here. The banks didn’t even open until 10 a.m. Everybody was still in yesterday – which I liked.”

Airdo has his father to thank for Jack *** Acres. Years ago, the two of them visited a farm outside Chicago called Hawthorne Melody. It had wooden walkways and dirt roads, cows, a stagecoach, a train.

Jack *** Acres was a working gas station and Airdo a mechanic when he bought the place. That’s when he thought of Hawthorne Melody.

The reason he loved that old farm is the same reason some are drawn to Jack *** Acres. It’s a place unlike anything in the big city.

Things to touch, to see, to buy: trunks and wagon wheels so splintered and rusted they look as if they flowed west with the Gold Rush; a ’63 Cadillac Superior Royale ambulance with stretcher; a plastic cactus topped with a cowboy to stick on a car antenna.

Scraps of wood with hand-painted warnings line up on a haphazard fence: ”Keep out – scorpions.” ”Keep out – Gila monsters.” ”Keep out – snakes.”

They pull off the highway with hopes of filling their empty tanks but the pumps might as well be a mirage – they’re dry. They stop anyway, to see this outdoor museum in the West splayed across dust and rock. They buy postcards of Jack *** Acres. Some of the cards never make it to Michigan or Virginia. They are returned to Jack *** Acres, and Airdo keeps every one of them on a shelf behind the cash register.

One greeting written from the desert outpost reads: ”Yes, this is for real folks. I’ve been there. And I have the photos to prove it. Our rental car started flipping out just about in the middle of nowhere and here we landed. The view was worth the crazy company.”

They’ve never seen anything like this before. Neither have the fashion photographers from Elle and Seventeen magazines. The April ’98 Elle used the rocket and one of Airdo’s old Cadillacs as props for a ”Frontier fashion” spread. This April, a Seventeen magazine fashion feature titled ”Cactus Flowers” was shot here, too.

Now, the land he leases is up for sale, and Airdo has plans to move Jack *** Acres – rocket, fins and old gas pumps, tiny vials of fool’s gold, beef jerky and his 15-year-old cat, Bruce – to land he owns along the frontage road winding from New River to Anthem. He’s got the blueprints, a zoning application and a computerized sketch of the new Jack *** Acres. He doesn’t intend to change it much.

I met Joe Airdo yesterday when I bought the pump, before knowing his ties to Jack *** flats. I emailed him last night to tell him that he used to live in the same Chicago neighborhood that I came from!! He called this morning and we BSed for awhile. It's really amazing how similar our background stories are. The closest link is our love for what Arizona was 30 years ago and how sad we are at the way it's turned out. Another close link was our childhood love for the Hawthorne Melody Farm in Illinois, which helped spur our interest of antiques, and all that is old and well preserved;)

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 158
  • pump2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 145
  • pump3.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 209
  • pump4.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 194
  • pump5.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 155
Funny how fast things can change:D

I never got anywhere with the 4 door. Couldn't find any of the door moldings and a bunch of other stuff that this car absolutely needed.

Over the past year or so I kept seeing a Dart Seneca two door up for sale in Arizona. He started at 24,900 then went to 19,000, to 14,000, and finally to 13,000. I picked it up for 12,500.

181040_10151478686204197_595918664_n.jpg

Today at lunch in Wickenburg

480944_10151475538164197_288031153_n.jpg

Fins 'n things

208505_10151462366659197_2022478546_n.jpg

148867_460096009196_2421708_n.jpg

Turbocharged Slant 6 pumps out 10psi of boost

149526_460095994196_756132_n.jpg

Classic!!

-
Back