1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-
Glad to hear it arrived safe and sound - it will be perfect for your wagon!

More progress tonight. Both UCA is in place including the spindle. Left front is done but the right lower ball joint was fpr early (60-62) a-bodies! Meed to get that one and find a new potman arm!

DSC_2046.JPG

DSC_2047.JPG

DSC_2048.JPG

DSC_2049.JPG

I might have a single right lower ball joint and possibly an extra pitman arm since I am only going to do the wagon. I will check when I get home.

Started with the steering column. Took off the connection for the wiring harness and pulled the turn signal switch.

The lower part of the steering column is the tricky part. Specially to take off the wires for shifting. Vent ok.

DSC_2075.JPG

DSC_2075.JPG

DSC_2076.JPG

DSC_2077.JPG

DSC_2078.JPG

DSC_2079.JPG

Started with the steering column. Took off the connection for the wiring harness and pulled the turn signal switch.

The lower part of the steering column is the tricky part. Specially to take off the wires for shifting. Vent ok.

View attachment 1715105199

I find it interesting that your coupler used a split pin. I am getting ready to pull the column out of the Barracuda and it used a bolt! The other 65 columns I've pulled all used a bolt to secure the coupler to the input shaft of the steering box.

Mine's a late 65. Assembled June 26th 1965.

Interesting! My wagon was assembled 7/19 in LA had the same PS steering column as yours but had the bolt. The Barracuda I'm parting out was assembled 3/23 in Detroit and also used the bolt.

Next thing to finish up is the drivers side air outlet. It looked tired but after a good cleaning and some new paint and a new gasket it will do a good job on the car!

DSC_2000.JPG

DSC_2083.JPG

DSC_2082.JPG

DSC_2092.JPG

Interesting! My wagon was assembled 7/19 in LA had the same PS steering column as yours but had the bolt. The Barracuda I'm parting out was assembled 3/23 in Detroit and also used the bolt.
Can it be different assembly line at the same plant? I know that sometimes they had problems with one supplier and got parts from another one. Can be the story in this case!

Next part that needed some attention was the parking brake lever. After a good cleaning and some polishing the handle bar was ok. Next was the stop mecanism. Sanded down the brackets and have the a new shot of paint. The sluminium pin eas not so good but I found an assembly line pin. Bolted in place it looks good.
Now I just need the parking brake handle.

DSC_2107.JPG

DSC_2108.JPG

DSC_2109.JPG

DSC_2112.JPG

I think the one in the 65 Barracuda is not cracked and I know the one out of my wagon isn’t because i’ve Already removed it along with the first cable - have to remove the intermediate cable and both rear cables to make a complete E Brake system

Today the last NOS mouldings showed up from Brad's NOS. Both quarter panel and right front fender moulding. The mounting was a blast. Now the body is completed.
Next was the steering column. I sanded all the parts and painted it Ruby red with clear coat.
Started to assemble the column but felt too tired.

DSC_2122.JPG

DSC_2124.JPG

DSC_2126.JPG

DSC_2125.JPG

DSC_2127.JPG

DSC_2128.JPG

DSC_2129.JPG

I'm doing just the opposite with my wagon - removing all the 270 side trim and welding the holes closed!

Any update poctures on the bodywork Don?

No, i’ve Temporarily stopped on the wagon since I boughtt the 47 and now parting out the Barracuda.

Did you ever find an E Brake handle in your spare parts? Here’s the one still on the Barracuda - gotta find time to get the handle out!
687B90E6-8AFC-438B-A512-071C7227B12D.jpeg

No, i’ve Temporarily stopped on the wagon since I boughtt the 47 and now parting out the Barracuda.

Did you ever find an E Brake handle in your spare parts? Here’s the one still on the Barracuda - gotta find time to get the handle out!View attachment 1715108337
Yeah, sorry I forgot about that!!!
Re the E brake, it's funny! I tslked with Johan last night and he found the E brake handle gor his four door sedan. Exact as yours. Mine's different. I have ribs in mine and the hole face is towards the driver. The one you and Johan have are from 1966 and up.
Or did Chrysler used them earlier due to one bad supplier. Then one else jumped in...?
Facinating and interesting.
Today I was sble to assemble the steering column. The only part left is to connect the wires!

But I'm missing the pin for the back-up light switch! Anyone out there for sale?

DSC_2133.JPG

DSC_2135.JPG

DSC_2135.JPG

DSC_2136.JPG

Yeah, sorry I forgot about that!!!
Re the E brake, it's funny! I tslked with Johan last night and he found the E brake handle gor his four door sedan. Exact as yours. Mine's different. I have ribs in mine and the hole face is towards the driver. The one you and Johan have are from 1966 and up.
Or did Chrysler used them earlier due to one bad supplier. Then one else jumped in...?
Facinating and interesting.

Fascinating and interesting to say the least! The Barracuda build date was Mar 23, 1965 in Detroit. Here is the one from my 65 Dart wagon, build date late Jul 65 in LA. It would be interesting to know the build date of Johan’s sedan and where it was made.
95754CD2-0A51-47B7-A617-6870E0EDD5F8.jpeg

It could be the factories starting getting the new for 66 handles in mid year and started using them when the old supply was exhausted or could yours be a leftover from 64? We will never know!

-
Back