1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-
Fascinating and interesting to say the least! The Barracuda build date was Mar 23, 1965 in Detroit. Here is the one from my 65 Dart wagon, build date late Jul 65 in LA. It would be interesting to know the build date of Johan’s sedan and where it was made.View attachment 1715108625

It could be the factories starting getting the new for 66 handles in mid year and started using them when the old supply was exhausted or could yours be a leftover from 64? We will never know!
Johans Dart is assembled in October i Detroit! My DC convertible December 13, 1964 and my DC hardtop January 27, 1965 are both assembled in LA and my Dart 2 dr sedan in June 1965 in Detroit!! Nothing make sence!
Your idea of left over might be an idea. I guess they didn't want to stop the line with cost, extra work etc.

Today I was able to get the shifting wires in place. I understand why the change for 1966!!
Me and Gunilla to our new 1989 Voyager stuffed with the dog and front and rear seat for my interior guy Hans in Lycksele. Man what great job he perform. Next will be to order the material from SMS!

DSC_2138.JPG

DSC_2139.JPG

DSC_1686.JPG

After a good cleaning and sanding the splash shiels were ready for the gasket kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies. Adding it was like a walk in the park.
Next will be to make the small isolation strips on the backside!

DSC_2141.JPG

Today was Fathers Day! Great to have all kids home.
When they left after dinner I was able to mount the isolation in the roof and figure out the springs.

DSC_2151.JPG

After the sides are installed a hair dryer will be your best friend to remove any wrinkles. Did you buy your headliner locally or was it one of those pre-made ones I see advertised on eBay?

After the sides are installed a hair dryer will be your best friend to remove any wrinkles. Did you buy your headliner locally or was it one of those pre-made ones I see advertised on eBay?
I bought it from Ebay. They were good to deal with and had fast service.
Since my skills in mounting the headliner is poor my friend Mattias who did my DartCharger will do this one too.
I will get some info and pictures for you. Have you bought one for your wagon?

I bought it from Ebay. They were good to deal with and had fast service.
Since my skills in mounting the headliner is poor my friend Mattias who did my DartCharger will do this one too.
I will get some info and pictures for you. Have you bought one for your wagon?

I found on eBay selling the pre-made early A wagon headliners for $169. Is that the one you used? I have not ordered/bought one for my wagon. Reason is I might do some custom work on the roof which would require the wagon going to an upholstery shop to have the work done. I will PM you if you want to know more!

I found on eBay selling the pre-made early A wagon headliners for $169. Is that the one you used? I have not ordered/bought one for my wagon. Reason is I might do some custom work on the roof which would require the wagon going to an upholstery shop to have the work done. I will PM you if you want to know more!
Let me know your tricks Don. Just love them!
Today I restored the covers for the C and D pillar post. Tricky to cut out parts from old one and glue together.

I found some strange changes. There seems to be two different styles. Any input from other early A wagon owners?

DSC_2157.JPG

DSC_2156.JPG

DSC_2179.JPG

DSC_2180.JPG

DSC_2181.JPG

1510772200432503869372.jpg

I’ll have to look at mine to compare to yours. I would think they would be the same since both wagons were assembled in LA. I do know that my A pillar post covers are identical to the 65 Barracuda I’m parting out.

I’ll have to look at mine to compare to yours. I would think they would be the same since both wagons were assembled in LA. I do know that my A pillar post covers are identical to the 65 Barracuda I’m parting out.
They should be but I've learn that Chrysler didn't always stick with one supplier!

Tonight my friend Mattias showed up and started doing the headliner. When we stopped for the night it looks great. Can hardly wait until next week.

DSC_2182.JPG

DSC_2183.JPG

DSC_2184.JPG

I question for all FABO members!

On all 1965 Dart GT the door knob for locking the doors was chromed. But what about the Dart 270 series? I had a dark blue Dart 270 4 door sedan with blue interior and the door knobs was blue. The Dart 270 2 dr sedan I have with blue interior has black door knobs. The ones that was on the wagon was black. What color was availible for the 270 series? I think chrome would look great even if it would look like a hot rod!!:lol:

I suspect the knobs were color coded to the interior for the most part; maybe on your wagon with the red interior they didn’t offer red knobs so it got black. After 52 years a lot can happen with different owners! Personally I like the chrome; it adds a bit of bling!

I suspect the knobs were color coded to the interior for the most part; maybe on your wagon with the red interior they didn’t offer red knobs so it got black. After 52 years a lot can happen with different owners! Personally I like the chrome; it adds a bit of bling!
I agree Don!
Today I painted the interior stuff a last time. Next will be clear coat. Then it's just the steering wheel and the C pillar post cover on passenger side left.
The cover on A pillar post on drivers side looks like someone took a chw out of it! I need a new one!

DSC_2187.JPG

I’ll take a look at mine to see if any damage (it certainly won’t be new lol!)

Both of my extra driver’s side A pillar covers are damaged- sorry!

A friend (member FWDLK Frank) found a set when he was at Desert Valley Auto but it's got a small piece missing at the very top. And if my windshield removal helper had not got in a rush with pulling the rubber, he wouldn't have broken a piece off the original A pillar cover where it covers the weatherstrip. My only saving grace is the 65 Barracuda's A pillar covers are perfect and are identical to the wagon's!

Last edited:
Today the armrest bases got some sandning and a new coat of paint. Can hardly wait to add the right side NOS armrest pads!! But wait, where is the left side pads??

Yesterday a new Goodyear Power Cushion show up from a garage sale in Michigan. Will work great as a spare tire!

DSC_2190.JPG

DSC_2191.JPG

-
Back