1966 3 speed manual trans problem. Help!

-

Prince V

Reaction score
Having another mystery to solve on my 1966 Valiant 2 door post I just purchased from California. It's a three on the tree and after I got it running after many years of sitting I pushed in the clutch and went trough the gears. Its got reverse, 2nd and 3rd gear easily but when I try to put it in 1st it either goes in but it don't feel like its all the way in gear. If I try to go, it pops out of gear. If I put it back up in reverse and then try 1st again it grinds lightly, push it back up then it goes in but not enough to hold it in gear when I try to go. Anyone know what to try first? I should mention, its a bit sloppy on the column and the clutch pedal doesn't come all the way up without a little nudge from my foot. I'm really hoping it could be a linkage and bushing issue. Also does anyone know what transmission it is? Not sure, I just got the car a few weeks ago. Thanks in advance!

Seems like you have a couple issues, clutch adjustment. Or a worn out clutch.
Trans needs to come apart, a bent shift fork at the very least.

The 66 Factory Shop Manual has a comprehensive section on all the transmissions, troubleshooting, adjustments for clutch and shifting linkages, etc - way more than could be covered in this thread! MyMopars has quite a few of the FSMs available for download - maybe the 66 is among them.

It should stay in gear but as far as shifting and grinding, That transmission doesn't have a synchronized first gear. At least my 65 Dart didn't. Like Dartman mentioned, there might be a linkage adjustment too. The clutch may get better with some use.

FIRST THING I'd do is do THIS:

Jack it up (safely) after getting the car "pointed" lol

Unhook the shift linkage from the 1/R lever and put the trans manually into first, leaving the linkage unhooked. Now do a short test drive and see if it actually pops out. If not you have a linkage problem.

If it does you certainly have a gearbox problem, and may or may not have a linkage problem

Unhook the shift linkage from the 1/R lever and put the trans manually into first, leaving the linkage unhooked. Now do a short test drive and see if it actually pops out. If not you have a linkage problem.

If it does you certainly have a gearbox problem, and may or may not have a linkage problem

That's a smart test.

Seems like you have a couple issues, clutch adjustment. Or a worn out clutch.
Trans needs to come apart, a bent shift fork at the very least.
Thanks but I hope not! Probably going to disconnect the 1st gear linkage and put in in gear by hand and see if it stays in gear. If not I will go from there. Thanks for your input!

The 66 Factory Shop Manual has a comprehensive section on all the transmissions, troubleshooting, adjustments for clutch and shifting linkages, etc - way more than could be covered in this thread! MyMopars has quite a few of the FSMs available for download - maybe the 66 is among them.
Thanks Dartman! I have a factory service manual on the way! I looked at MyMopars FSM's and downloaded it too. Really appreciate all your help! This is a great forum and everyone so helpful!

I had a 68 chevy pickup with worn out linkage. It was a challenge to drive,especially if you never drove it before,worked like a theft deterrent.
I was going somewhere with this- oh ya
If it is worn linkage, sometimes the problem moves with the adjustment, as by getting 1st to work you lose reverse.

It should stay in gear but as far as shifting and grinding, That transmission doesn't have a synchronized first gear. At least my 65 Dart didn't. Like Dartman mentioned, there might be a linkage adjustment too. The clutch may get better with some use.
Thank you toolmanmike! Yes that's what I'm hearing that it doesn't have a synchronized first gear and this gives me hope that it could be something really simple! Clutch seem to be grabbing good. When I started going in reverse it grabbed with the pedal about 1 1/2 inches from the floor and easily spun the tires a bit. We have some bad weather on the way so I put it in the garage gently using 2nd gear. Thanks again for your help!

I paid $50 for my 65 FSM probably 25 years ago when I spotted it at the Mopar Nationals. At the time I don’t think they were being reproduced. My wife’s comment at the time - “ $50 for a book! Are you crazy!”
I use that book at least 2-3 times a week - best $50 investment I made for my Dart’s!!

I had a 68 chevy pickup with worn out linkage. It was a challenge to drive,especially if you never drove it before,worked like a theft deterrent.
I was going somewhere with this- oh ya
If it is worn linkage, sometimes the problem moves with the adjustment, as by getting 1st to work you lose reverse.
I was thinking the same thing! Reverse, 2nd and 3rd work so good I'm hoping for the best! I brought this car back to life so far and it has been a pleasure mostly because it was simple things and neglect of the previous owner/owners. Thanks for your help!

I paid $50 for my 65 FSM probably 25 years ago when I spotted it at the Mopar Nationals. At the time I don’t think they were being reproduced. My wife’s comment at the time - “ $50 for a book! Are you crazy!”
I use that book at least 2-3 times a week - best $50 investment I made for my Dart’s!!
I agree Dartman! I also own a 1956 Plymouth 2 door that I needed some help on and the service manual bailed me out several times! It doesn't even have a fusebox! Everything has its own in the switches themselves! Yes they are well worth every penny!

Yes 67Dart273! This is what I'm going to try first! Hoping for the best and thank you so very much for your suggestion!

You can download shop manuals FREE at MyMopar. Some of them over there came from the guys on this forum

You can download shop manuals FREE at MyMopar. Some of them over there came from the guys on this forum
Thanks 67Dart273! I did go to MyMopar and downloaded a manual that covered many 1966 mopars. It was very long. I have to go through it to see if it has what I need. Really appreciate the suggestion and all the help!

I have the 65/66 FSM reprint if you need some assistance ASAP.
Awesome pishta!! I'm waiting on one I ordered but I sure will take you up on that when I get back on the car if my FSM is not here yet and even if it is I still may need some advise! It really is refreshing to have people that really like to help! I haven't worked on any Mopar 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions for quite some time so any help I can get is truly appreciated! My other car is a 1956 Plymouth 2 door with a push button transmission, flat head six. Hope I can help some of you at some point too. I'm mechanically inclined but my real expertise is show quality paint work and graphics on cars and motorcycles. :)

Thanks 67Dart273! I did go to MyMopar and downloaded a manual that covered many 1966 mopars. It was very long. I have to go through it to see if it has what I need. Really appreciate the suggestion and all the help!

Here's how I do those: Start at the front and find the contents and what chapter you want AKA electrical is chapter 8. Then go up to the page no. box on your viewer and "make a stab." For electrical I usually "try" page 350 or 400, if that is wrong I add 100 or subtract 50 or 100, etc. Does not take long to get into the ball

You will want to start at the front of the transmission section, as it has an addtional table of contents for "just that section."

A few of those manuals use the "correct" page no's (IE electrical page 8-2) but most do not

here you go, get your magnifying glasses out. I believe this basically says shift to N, remove control rods from column and adjust eccentric bushing to make sure both rods line up with holes on the shifter, then hook back up. If there still is disengagement, it could be something internal. I can post more pages if needed.

20171023_180618.jpg
20171023_180724.jpg

Here's how I do those: Start at the front and find the contents and what chapter you want AKA electrical is chapter 8. Then go up to the page no. box on your viewer and "make a stab." For electrical I usually "try" page 350 or 400, if that is wrong I add 100 or subtract 50 or 100, etc. Does not take long to get into the ball

You will want to start at the front of the transmission section, as it has an addtional table of contents for "just that section."

A few of those manuals use the "correct" page no's (IE electrical page 8-2) but most do not
Thank you 67Dart273! I will see if what I'm looking for is in the manual that is posted looking it up as you have suggested. pishta posted some photos of the correct section I need that is in the FSM that is much appreciated. Hope to figure this out soon and really hoping the transmission don't have to come out!

here you go, get your magnifying glasses out. I believe this basically says shift to N, remove control rods from column and adjust eccentric bushing to make sure both rods line up with holes on the shifter, then hook back up. If there still is disengagement, it could be something internal. I can post more pages if needed.

View attachment 1715103295 View attachment 1715103297
Thank you so much again pishta! Yes this looks like the correct section and I really appreciate you taking the time to post this! I will start there and see what happens. I'm really hoping the transmission don't have to come out but I'm optimistic because the other gears work well other than some slop in the column shifter. Also thanks for offering to post more if needed! I have the car in the garage now because we are getting 4 or 5 days of straight rain, wind and getting cold here in Indiana. I will try all this when I back it up outside and have more room and light after this rain lets up. Also if this don't cure it, I want to take the 1st and reverse linkage off and put it in 1st by hand and try to go and see if it pops out of gear.

also mentions "second or direct (3rd) gear synchronizer clutch teeth worn.." But if it pops out of first that may not apply.

Last edited:
-
Back