1967 Cuda FB project

-

SNKEBIT

Spending $$ on Mopars
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. I was able to get one of my long lusted after projects. It's just a plain, leaning tower of power-auto-bench seat fastback but it's from Cali and its reasonably clean. And besides the carpet and headliner, it's all there. This is the only pic I have at the moment but there will be plenty more.
vbpgimage.php

I have a 5.7 Hemi out of a Durango that I plan on installing with a 4 or 5 speed manual.
Contemplating suspension parts pirated from a Viper for turning. :burnout: Maybe a narrowed dash from an E body, (I like the looks better.)
Hopefully be able to get started shortly on it!!!

Should have more pics after the weekend.

When I get some more pics of the condition, you'll see why I'm gonna just take it apart and rebuild "my way". LOL
The car has been sitting for 13+ years since it came from Cali. The mice took over the inside and what rust was there got worse.
More pics this weekend!:cheers:

So fortunate to have a car from a relatively 'dry' climate. If you wanna see what headaches you may be avoiding, check out my Biohazard thread, lol. Seriously, car's shell looks awesome and, hey, bench seats are cool. Its like hubcaps - you're the "unique" one for having them. (*biased opinion)

So fortunate to have a car from a relatively 'dry' climate. If you wanna see what headaches you may be avoiding, check out my Biohazard thread, lol. Seriously, car's shell looks awesome and, hey, bench seats are cool. Its like hubcaps - you're the "unique" one for having them. (*biased opinion)

I sat a read your entire thread the other night. Awesome job!!! I am quite confidant that I don't have to rebuild mine with a hazmat suit tho. :prayer: Altho, the mice have made a minor smell which I'm sure will come out.

Time to go get some more pics!:cheers:

Well, I pushed the Cuda in the shop today to see if I could get it running just to move around under it's own power until I get the room to tear it down. Found something right away that didn't look good.

Then I put a battery in and hit the key, it turned over!!! Short lived enjoyment.... pulled dipstick, found this.......water in the oil and over full.........

Engine is junk. Just gonna pull it out and store in pole building.
Did get some more shots of the car, etc.
Oh, and a pic of some of the other projects in the shop.

More to come.:burnout:

View attachment WP_20141019_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_005.jpg

Decided to start taking the grille out after finding dead engine. Came out fairly easily except for 3 studs that just spun in the aluminum grille.:banghead: Cut them off with a cutoff wheel.
Found a few other oddities while looking the car over. Someone made a wing window out of plexiglass and installed on dr side.:wack: Crappy pass mirror install.:wack:
p.s. couldn't find the build sheet under rear seat. Anywhere else they put them?
More pics.

View attachment WP_20141019_017.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_007.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_008.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_011.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_020.jpg

View attachment WP_20141019_016.jpg

Going to pull the engine and trans next weekend. Car will be on lift so I can evaluate how bad the rust is in the trunk area.
After that, start collecting parts!!!:cheers:

Well, got antsy and started pulling drivetrain out tonite. Took a lot more pics of underneath this car,,,, holy ****!!! This thing is clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad the window channel rusted and let water in the trunk, otherwise this thing would have been pristine!!! Only rust areas are the right trunk extension, right lower quarter, tire well and maybe the left trunk extension. You tell me!:blob:

View attachment WP_20141021_005.jpg

View attachment WP_20141021_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20141021_006.jpg

View attachment WP_20141021_007.jpg

View attachment WP_20141021_009.jpg

I have been studying which way to go on this project. I would like it to handle like a newer car so I will have to go with some kind of disk brake, rack and pinion, and coil over set up for the front and some kind of independent rear set up. (Having been in Vipers the last ten years has really spoiled me.)
The engine combo is also a "back and forth" for me. I like the idea of a late model hemi with a 5-6 speed behind it. But I keep looking at the fuel injected 340 that's already set up for the Viper 6 speed behind it.
So, I guess I am asking for a little direction to go with this project, and what would be the best way to go.
Thanks all for any help!!!:cheers:

-
Back