1968 barracuda s from Mexico

-

jakeborg69

Reaction score
hey guys I have a few questions about this car I’m going to buy, I was hoping there might be someone on here more knowledgeable then I am. I’m buying a 1968 formula s barracuda but it was an AUTOMEX car so it was made for the Mexican market. Are there any difference between it and a standard barracuda. I noticed the vin and fender tag are different I’m not sure if it’s original or it was because the car was imported to America. Basically from what I was told it’s an original formula s 383/4speed car. He said it was the closest thing that the Mexican market could get to a super stock barracuda. If someone could lay down some basic knowledge I would really appreciate it.

22C86A8E-543E-451F-82EE-8904B7D09032.jpeg

Be careful with that.

Mexican Mopar performance cars are typically 318 4 bbl, or even a six.

there is a smallblock in it now . it's sure a pretty one tho .

I agree that the 318 was probably the largest engine available in Mexican built Mopars.

hey guys I have a few questions about this car I’m going to buy, I was hoping there might be someone on here more knowledgeable then I am. I’m buying a 1968 formula s barracuda but it was an AUTOMEX car so it was made for the Mexican market. Are there any difference between it and a standard barracuda. I noticed the vin and fender tag are different I’m not sure if it’s original or it was because the car was imported to America. Basically from what I was told it’s an original formula s 383/4speed car. He said it was the closest thing that the Mexican market could get to a super stock barracuda. If someone could lay down some basic knowledge I would really appreciate it.

View attachment 1715101753
VIN and fender tag will not match in 1968. Sequence number is what you will find as the last six digits of the VIN. Eight digits of the VIN will be stamped on the block if it is original. Check the number on the top of the core support.

Please post pictures of dash.

Does it have KPH speedo and heater block off plates?

VIN and fender tag will not match in 1968. Sequence number is what you will find as the last six digits of the VIN. Eight digits of the VIN will be stamped on the block if it is original. Check the number on the top of the core support.

Automex fender tags are completely different. Not many codes and I've never heard of anyone that knew how to decipher them.

IIRC, vin is different as well as plate and location?? Can't remember exactly.

I figured at least post pics of it in hopes that someone can decipher them possibly. Cant decipher squat with the pic posted, but it is nice looking.

***EDIT*** Looks like 67 grill to me.

Automex fender tags are completely different. Not many codes and I've never heard of anyone that knew how to decipher them.

IIRC, vin is different as well as plate and location?? Can't remember exactly.

It would most likely have torque boxes if it was a big block car, although not all big block barracudas had torque boxes.

well, maybe the Mex 383 had the distributor in the rear....I still like it.

Yes that is interesting looking LOL

That car is/was original paint. It sure looked like FE5 red. So maybe that E5 is the exterior color.

The seats and door panels are white and rest of interior is black. Possibly that is XW ???

The rest... good luck with that !

The guy has the original engine he built this small block I’ll post more pics now thanks for all the help everyone

It's not a original Hurst car.

He needs to provide you with some proof it was originally a 383 car. It's his burden of proof. Where's the orignal k-frame?

The car does seem like an Automex car. I see the KPH dash too. I'm pretty sure the biggest motor was a 318 4bbl.

Be careful, most Mexican built cars are/were EXTREMELY hammered and cobbled together!! And in the craziest of places too. Expect the unexpected. Chicken wire, fence post tube, you name it. This one looks it's been very messed with other the years.

I would not add very much value to this car over another 67 or 68 Barracuda in same condition. The automex Barracudas aren't that unique: 318 emblem, KPH speedo, and heater delete. The heater delete block off plates seem to be missing. Check passenger vent box that looks sorta like a driver side.

Last edited:
Those Hurst emblems are available everywhere. Now, that doesn't mean it may not be a valuable car. It's certainly got the cool points.

I think the top center of the radiator support has been replaced or bolted in for removal. Also I think the drivers grill insert/chrome surround/parking light is missing one of the three support bars.

Guys I can’t tell you how great full I am for all the knowledge you’ve given me. I’m getting the car at a stupid crazy deal 10,500. From what I understand the original owner was his neighbor he drive the car from Mexico to Connecticut in the 70s and raced it till the engine blew in the 80s the guy bought it in 2008 and just puts it around. I plan to just keep racing it.

-
Back