1969 Dart GT Convertible

-

71autoxr

Reaction score
Well after years of spending time in the garage cutting, welding, grinding, fitting, blasting, priming, sanding, painting, cursing and drinking beer.....I finally have some noticeable progress. I have documented the progress along the way. I don't think any of you want to look through the thousands of pictures of minutia so I'll spare those details.

In April 2008 I made my first post and introduced the car and it's story:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=34153

Since the first post I have spent countless hours cutting out all the rust and replacing with sheet metal from the blue rust free dart. The color I decided on is 1969 Q4 Light Turquoise Metallic. The car now has zero rust, no plastic filler and very little poly glaze. I used lead where I could and general hammer and dolly work to straighten each panel. Along the way I added the laser cut to the floor sub-frame connectors, and the XV Motorsports front radiator support. The torque boxes are factory for the convertible. The car went from bare steel to PPG epoxy primer (blue), to PPG K36 primer surfacer (white), and it's final coats of Acrylic Urethane Q4.

Over the years I have collected nearly every part I need to finish it up, save for some parts that are easily scored. Thanks to many FABO members for the deals and the many posts that I have read and learned from over that time. Within the next few weeks the car should come off the rotisserie with a temporary front and rear suspension, have all the body panels put on and aligned, then final paint. I am fortunate to have the space and tools as well as the know how to do everything I have done. It is not the first car I have done. But it sure is the most elaborate work I have ever done along with the most thorough. With the car having been torn apart at the spot welds, nearly every inch has been blasted and put in epoxy primer.

If I have it my way this car will never see anything more formal than a cruise night. From the minute I get the license plate I plan to drive the wheels off of it. It's first road trip will be from AZ to CT in the late summer/fall of 2011 as a tribute to it's rightful owned, John Dolan, who passed away 19 years ago.

As of this past weekend this is what it looks like, along with some along the way photos....

I'll fill a few more posts with interesting photos too.

P8080001.jpg

P8080013.jpg

P6160011.jpg

P6130008.jpg

P5200016.jpg

P1310012.jpg

PB010012.jpg

PA010001.jpg

Here are some of the problems encountered along the way...

The drivers door striker had been ripped clear from the vehicle many years ago and welded, brazed, etc to keep it stationary. Only one way to do it right. Cut it all out and start over What you cannot see is the thick steel reinforced plate behind it.
The supports for the truck torsion bars were ripped clear by the torque of the bars and the rust in the thin sheet metal. I was fortunate enough to find someone parting a 69 dart convertible that only had odd sheet metal left.

The car had rust in the floors (which was previously replaced with glalvinized corrugated metal (good idea - poor execution) firewall, inner fenders, and quarters. The car was under coated so most of the bottom including the frame was solid.

Fenders were from a different trim level car so those holes were welded. I scored an A body 8 3/4 axle along the way and shortened some truck axle shafts to fit (thanks Moser). Late A k member is reinforced, blasted and awaiting re-install along with front disc. Car will have a split high back bench seat with OD-833 poking through the floor. Convertible top and interior color are yet to be decided, but likely will be a very light tan or cream color, not factory colors.

Hope to be able to keep to my schedule and get the car done. Most of my free time is spent in the garage and not on the 'puter so If you do ask a question or comment may be several days till I see it.

P6230001.jpg

P6230004.jpg

03-30-2008 (14).jpg

P1050003.jpg

P1050012.jpg

P1100007.jpg

P1040035.jpg

P3220011.jpg

Last for now, the fun and usefulness of an auto rotisserie. Made with plans from the internet. Cost about $550 and a weekend to cut and build. Best thing I ever did.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtBCVQJ0phY"]YouTube- ‪2010-08-07_11-39-42_973.avi‬‎[/ame]

You're making great progress Rick! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cool. I restored my 68 convertible and put a 440 in it. It wasn't to the extent you did though. Nice work.

Had a bit of visual progress lately so here are some pics.

Shot epoxy at 7am, paint by 10am. By 12:30 it was too hot to do much more spraying (100+ with 40% humidity).
Good thing is the paint cures nice!!

Got the backs of the fenders and doors painted. Ready to bolt back on.

Might be able to spray the hood and trunk lid tomorrow, but not pushing it.

The main body portion will need a bit more sanding, then off the rotisserie, and body panel can go back on. Whooooo Hoooooooooo!!

Great progress Rick! I need to stop by and check it out in person soon.

I can appreciate your perspiration, inspiration, and dedication. I went through some what the same process, but not in quite that detail. It will be a real thrill when you fire it off for the first time. I like the detail work on your project.

Some more progress to update with. Most time has been set wet sanding and perfecting the body panels. Not too fun to take pictures of and post. But in preparation for final paint, some of those panels are going back on the car. In the past 24 hours got some inner fender splash shields on, the fender tag, the temporary K-member and lcas to get the car rolling, both sets of door hinges and the drivers door hung and adjusted.

Well now we have 2 doors AND a set of tires. In all honesty it has all it's fender clips too as well as a temporary front K member and front suspension. It's so close to being on the ground I can almost taste it. Bleh, that was sanding dust. Spent several hours with a glass bead cabinet cleaning all the hardware clips, nuts bolts, latches etc. It all looks like new.

Next step is painting backs of hood and doors, installing fenders, and temporary rear axle. Glad it's a 3 day weekend.

Rick, Great work! =P~ When you're done with yours how's about . . .:-\":glasses7:

Subscribed and drool cup strapped on securely

Rick, Great work! =P~ When you're done with yours how's about . . .:-\":glasses7:

Subscribed and drool cup strapped on securely

I could never make this my job. It is so labor intensive, and unless you've been through one it's hard to understand. Not many people want to pay for a "really" good job, unless it is a high dollar car when done. For me it's like therapy. There is a certain appeal to cutting, welding, fixing, and making something that looks like shi+ look better than new. Thanks for the comments. More pics later as I got the hood and trunk lid painted as well as all the hardware. It's 106 out now, so I'm going to go clean the pool and grab a cold beverage.

Hood and deck lid painted on the underside, along with (I hope) all the fender hood and deck lid hardware. Also the trunk torsion bars and fender to bumper braces. The last one is the dart along side my Challenger. Yes I painted the Challenger too. Although that was 15+ years ago.

I could never make this my job.

I hear ya Rick. From 90 - 01 I went into business with a buddy of mine that does restorations. It didn't work out business wise for me, we're still best of friends. It was bad timing in 90 - 91 people were not looking to spend the kind of bucks for restorations, everyone wanted steak for hot dog prices = economy was real bad. Tough work but very rewarding at the end of the day.

Keep it up, nice Challenger too! What's under the hood?

Keep it up, nice Challenger too! What's under the hood?

The Challenger has a 69 vintage 340 that is mostly stock. It was originally a 340 car. Once the dart is together, the motor is coming out of the Challenger, and going into the Dart. Then I get to build a motor for the Challenger. A big cube 340 block with efi.

Fantastic work. I can truly appreciate all you have done. Every nut, bolt and nearly every square inch of my car got stripped to bare metal and epoxied. Except I didn't mess with the under side side since it was 100% rust free car to being with. Love the color and look forward to your future progress.

What's your trick to the bolts not chipping once you bolt everything back up?

-
Back