1969 dodge dart custom

-

shafer

Reaction score
I bought this car from its original owner in sept of 2008
it was a friend of my wifes grandparents and the car was not for sale for many years, i had a slant 6 68 but i wanted a v8 car. sherrys grand dad talked to his friend and i bought the car for $3000, it was not running but the body is in great shape.a month after he went to get it with me he was in the hospital , he passed in jan 09.Ole yeller is in bigdaddy's memory. I havent taken many pics of it during restoration, but since it is far from finished here this thread will grow
This is what it looked like when i took it to its first show which is a show i put together so i had to trailer it there, the only change i made was the wire wheel hubcaps b/c the car came with plymouth wheel covers, the seats are not in it
View attachment Copy%20(2)%20of%20Picture%20007.jpg

engine- all i have done is added an eletric fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the timing chain altenator, battery, and painted, still have smooth running issues so intke manifold gasket is next got the gaskets today.
View attachment DSCF0141.jpg

dog dish - rear wheels are wider than fronts dont like yellow wheels with white wall tires

69 style wheel cover hard to find

someone repops the 69 red line dog dishes. i think it would look awesome with yellow wheels. something about the black wheels just doesn't look right.

can always go with the 69 hub cap too...
P6200042.JPG

vinyl top-
have always hated the problems vinyl tops present , rust, puckers, bublles, shrinkage, but i think the car is to plain with out it, solution
i redid the top using textured bedliner spray, masked in three sections to simulate seams and mixed up a satin finished antique green to brush over, you cannot tell it is not vinyl.btw found 69 style hubcaps

Attachments

• DSCF0219.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,756
  • DSCF2021.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,756
can always go with the 69 hub cap too...
P6200042.JPG

last night i restored a set of 69 hubcaps , heres how i did it
after making and painting the black , i found a close gray mettalic rustolium color and carefully masked and painted and polished , i think they turned out real nice ,but i still want ralleys

Attachments

• DSCF2072.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,731
  • DSCF2073.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,734
  • DSCF2074.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,742
  • DSCF2076.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,711
  • DSCF2075.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,762
  • DSCF2077.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,719
  • DSCF2078.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,721
  • DSCF2079.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,722
  • DSCF2080.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,706
  • DSCF2081.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,713
so whats next

intake manifold gaskets, replace the winshield, redo headliner, find chrome bumpers( mine are painted chrome) and some paint work on the inside all the f8 green
i was fortionate that this car had no major rust in trunk or floors so i didnt have to do much body work , this is a low buck project so it will never be perfect and i im doing much own my own - my future restos on this car will be well documented

i see the engine in the above pix of the green 69 is red while mine is blue, my car is #s matching except the engine was replaced several years ago which color is my engine suposed to be , i thought all post 69 318s were blue until 1985 when they became black

Nice Dart! I dig the sleeper hubcap look and the dog dishes always look great. I would try to make the car look as grannyish as possible. Be a real shock for ricers when ya blow thier tinny little honda crap off the road!

65dartcharger
FABO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafer
thx so much will be posting more resto pics soon

Let me know if you need any NOS stuff. I think I might have some mouldings for your car.
rt front fender molding needed
View attachment DSCF2059.jpg

this is the molding i need - it was bent like a horse shoe when i got the car but i straightend it out - it still has a slight bents in it

-
Back