1969 Dodge Dart GTS

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
Well I am gathering parts to do up my 1969 Dodge Dart GTS that I got from a friend who has owned the car for 20 plus years. I have been friends with this guy for awhile and was trying to get this car from him for 7 years. He finally called me with law problems and offered it to me for some cash and trade. It has been parked in his dry garage for around 20 years and is a matching numbers rust free 340 4 speed car. It has the original radiator, manifolds, motor, etc. It is originally a white stripe delete car with black interior. The body work has been started but i will have it redone and repainted with a black stripe.

My plans are to take out the 340 and set it to the side. I bought MadDarts 402 stroker short block and some RHS heads from Brain. So it will be that stroker with a demon carb, dougs headers, air gap intake, PRW roller rockers, black wrinkle valve covers and black coys 17" rims. It should be about 500 HP 520 torque. I will be slowly redoing this car once my money frees up. This is my dream car. I have owned 20 plus darts and never a GTS.

View attachment IMG_1961.jpg

View attachment IMG_1962.jpg

View attachment IMG_1963.jpg

View attachment IMG_1964.jpg

View attachment IMG_1966.jpg

View attachment IMG_1967.jpg

View attachment IMG_1968.jpg

View attachment IMG_1969.jpg

View attachment IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice score , you dont need that crummy stroker stuff just send it to me , it looks like you could use the xtra space , im just trying to help :)

fire that sucker up and drive it to Sacramento for Brown's inauguration !

nice find there . One of my friends had a '69 GTS 340 that was converted by its original owner to a 496' stroker / Art Carr 727 combo back in the mid-80's .

fire that sucker up and drive it to Sacramento for Brown's inauguration !

nice find there . One of my friends had a '69 GTS 340 that was converted by its original owner to a 496' stroker / Art Carr 727 combo back in the mid-80's .

Ha! It is going to be awhile until I am driving it.

Thanks. I have all the parts except for a few like am/fm radio and antenea.

Nice find. 4 speed car with power brakes and steering, and was a stripe delete, pretty interesting combo

I know its not my car,but if it was I would build it right back to original.
Its a rare car.

I know its not my car,but if it was I would build it right back to original.
Its a rare car.

I am keeping everything to go back to original. They 402 will be made to look like a 340. The matching motor will be put to the side in my garage. I am going to put the stripe on too but I like the stripe.

factory-installed am-fm ??
not many of those around , especially for "A" bodies of the "Thumb-Wheel" era !

should be an "R21" on the 'tag , unless it was a dealer-installed radio ( seen that before ) .

btw , Los Angeles or Hamtramck built car ?

Yeah factory Am/Fm I have to find one. Here is the fender tag decoded.

LS23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Special
2 Door Hardtop

P9B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

355936: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
W1: White Exterior Color
P6X: Trim - Premium, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
X9: Black Int. Door Frames
422: Build Date: April 22
354108: Order number

C55: Bucket Seats
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black

V88: Tranverse Stripes, Deleted
END: End of Sales Codes

You are a lucky guy

Someday I hope to have a white 69 GTS, real or clone is OK since it has to be a big block clone would be better.

Should really look good, White with Black top, interior & stripe

Contact these people for an original radio:

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/

By the sway very nice car and setting the orignal engine asside and dropping in the stroker is the way to go. My original standard bore numbers matching 340 is in storage where it won't get hurt. You just can't beat the torque of a mopar small block stroker. Once you get that Dart together you won't be able to get that smile off your face when your shifting that 4 speed behind a stroker smoking them tires.

Contact these people for an original radio:

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/

By the sway very nice car and setting the orignal engine asside and dropping in the stroker is the way to go. My original standard bore numbers matching 340 is in storage where it won't get hurt. You just can't beat the torque of a mopar small block stroker. Once you get that Dart together you won't be able to get that smile off your face when your shifting that 4 speed behind a stroker smoking them tires.

Great thanks. Yeah i don't want to blow up the matching # motor. MadDart did the same thing too. Thanks for all the nice comments...

VERY NICE!!!

Man I love your car. Had no idea you had a 68 GTS!! I got comp now buddy!! haha. keep up the great work. :)

You`re doing the right thing by removing the original 340 and setting it aside. The real value of the car will only be maintained by keeping all of the original matching numbers drivetrain together. You may never sell the car but it`s always better to prepare for the day you might. The only thing I see is that you may have some issues with body twist with that kind of torque, but installing frame rail connectors is one of those things that you`ll have to do in such a way that it can be undone, in the event the car is restored to its factory specs. Congrats on your acquisition! :thumbup:

Thanks. Yes i might put frame connectors. Thanks for the cam card pic. I am running 1.5 rockers. What do you guys think about the power brakes.

You`re doing the right thing by removing the original 340 and setting it aside. The real value of the car will only be maintained by keeping all of the original matching numbers drivetrain together. You may never sell the car but it`s always better to prepare for the day you might. The only thing I see is that you may have some issues with body twist with that kind of torque, but installing frame rail connectors is one of those things that you`ll have to do in such a way that it can be undone, in the event the car is restored to its factory specs. Congrats on your acquisition! :thumbup:

Yeah the 340 is already overbored 40 I think? So I really just want to save it to the side. Maybe one day I find a good dart for the stroker I will rebuild the 340 and put the GTS back to stock. Right now I am pretty broke so I am taking one day at a time. Ha! I did quit drinking New Years day so maybe I will have some more money...

-
Back