1969 Dodge Dart Pro-Street 440

-
What are you spraying with? I'm not sure what causes that wrinkling. Maybe it needs a good primer? I sprayed mine with VHT roll bar and chassis paint with good results. What a headache. I sprayed my hood twice last week and ended up taking it back to paint shop to have them do it lol. So much for my grand idea to save a buck.

What are you spraying with? I'm not sure what causes that wrinkling. Maybe it needs a good primer? I sprayed mine with VHT roll bar and chassis paint with good results. What a headache. I sprayed my hood twice last week and ended up taking it back to paint shop to have them do it lol. So much for my grand idea to save a buck.

Good ole rustolium. I had a job painting motorcycles and industrial parts.

It's all about getting it preped right. What I think is happening is it's just too cold out and the layer underneath is trying to dry through the wet layer.

Guess I'll wait till summer

Stripe time. Same gas strip me more put on but bigger!!!

Wanted a more Daytona look. Plus it will make it more noticeable that it's not just a run of the day 318 gts

IMG_0801.JPG

It's too hard to line up when there is so much extra backing on the sides. So it's all trimmed off

IMG_0802.JPG

If no one else told u. Putting on stripes is super easy with this stuff!! It makes them stickeyer and allows you to move the stripe to get bubbles out.

Don't b stingy with it either

IMG_0804.JPG

Just fitting the stripe to see how far down I want the logo

IMG_0805.JPG

Sat too far down. So about 2" will work. Forgot there is a reflector under there and have to cut a hole for it as well

IMG_0806.JPG

Ok now the hard part. Got some 1/8 tape to try and make a straight line from fender to fender.

Used a plumb bob and Ruler to make it as straight as I could. Wish I had a laser lever it would have made it go so much faster

IMG_0807.JPG

With the stripe all lined up. It's just time to 2x check that it's straight and remove my guide tape

IMG_0808.JPG

I have done this a few times on other cars. One thing that helps when doing it the wet way and not dry is to mark points in the car where the stripe goes when you take it back off the car to remove the backing.

So I just make the marks in the tape that's in the car.

IMG_0809.JPG

Driver side on. There's a small rip on the right half just below the reflector. Hahaha bet ya can't see it tho.

IMG_0815.JPG

Moment of truth. If I put these on at the same distance the dented stripe should go on and connect them just fine!

IMG_0816.JPG

Phewwwew it's straight....

But the dam backing tape just gets harder n harder after I opens the box they came in. I hope this one comes off

IMG_0817.JPG

Well it took me like 2 hours to get that backing tape off. But I didn't rip it... well I did once but it's under the trunk.

It's just slightly off. Not laser straight, I think the trunk moved a little when I opens and closed it 3 times.

But I don't think they come from the factory this close. So I'll chalk it up as a win

IMG_0819.JPG

The paint shop painted over the reflectors... bummer. And I can't pull them off because the clear coat is like a cocoon locking them in and I don't want to chip the rest of the paint around it.

So I got 3m super reflective tape to put in their place

IMG_0820.JPG

Got the exhaust 3.5 in stainless. Going to make my own lake pipes for the headers.

See the weird angle the headers dump.... that's y they need to be custom made

IMG_0823.JPG

The turn down for the exhaust was like 160$ each!

This u bend is going to be cut in half and going to make both turndowns aaaannnnddddd only $20

IMG_0824.JPG

be careful, that is a little harder to do than it sounds. course u can always grind them for perfection. been there done that .
That's why it's awesome a car has two sides. I'll probably mess the first one up. Figure out that there is a better way half way through and make the other side perfict hahaha

That's why it's awesome a car has two sides. I'll probably mess the first one up. Figure out that there is a better way half way through and make the other side perfict hahaha
------------YOUUUU CANN DOOOOO ITT!

-
Back