1970 Duster - 383

-

CamSmittt

Reaction score
My name is Cameron. About three years ago my grandfather and I started a plymouth duster restoration. My grandfather was a mopar man to the gills, he restored probably 25 mopar cars and trucks that I can think of. My grandfather passed away two weeks ago and now I am completely up to my head in s***, trying to finish something we started together. I am completely unqualified for this task, but I have to finish this car for sentimental reasons. I have looked on this thread for a few years but after my grandfather died I realized I would need help and advice from some people who know much more than me. So, I probably will start asking questions that people will wonder how I don't know the answer already. Please guys, take it easy on me haha, thanks in advance for the help.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

Welcome to FABO Cam. Sorry to hear of your Grandpa's passing. He must have been a great guy to take you under his wing with a car project like this. There are lots of good people here that can help you along with your project. Just take one step at a time. toolmanmike.

Sorry for your loss, but looks like a great project. Lots of helpful people and information here.

Welcome!
My condolences on the passing or your Grandpa. It is great that you have decided to continue and finish the restoration.

Tell us more about you. How old are you? What type of job do you have? Are you in school? What is your experience/background with auto repair?

Looks like your Grandpa left you in good shape on the car. Go slow. Ask lots of questions. We can get you thru this easy task!

I'm 25. I got out of the Marine Corps in 2016 and I am currently in a Fire Academy for a department of metropolitan Atlanta. I'm married with two little girls (2 and 5 months), so limited funds on this project is a component. I have an above average amount of knowledge compared to most guys my age but it hasn't seemed to help me to this point. Honest;y, I have experience around cars, I have experience watching my grandfather do restorations. But now that he is gone and I do not have someone coaching me through I feel very under qualified for this project. Good news is we finished the motor a few months ago and the majority of the visible body work was done too.

Welcome to the Madness !!! Sorry to hear about your Grandfather.... So just go get it done... Plenty of help here..:thumbsup:

So guys I have a couple of quick questions before I dive into this weekend. I would like to get the suspension work out of the way. Last week I took out the leaf springs, shocks, and 7 3/4 rear end. I have a 8 3/4 with 2.73 running gears and the small bolt pattern.

My questions are:
1) I have a 73 parts car with better looking springs, can I use those on the duster or would you recommend buying new springs?

2) My car was not a sway bar car. The slant six K member does not have the bracket/holes to mount a sway bar. The 73 duster that I am using for parts has a sway bar. Can I drill holes into K member on my car and mount sway bar? Or would you recommend buying sway bar that mounts to the shock like some of the aftermarket kits?

3) Finally would you guys recommend getting new axels and the rear end re-geared before I put it in?

I’m sorry for the questions, just need some advice. Thank you.

If the lower control arms off the 6 car have the sway bar tabs, I would use those. I would also upgrade the 8 3/4 to big bolt pattern.

Make sure you can get the title to the car in your name first before you go any farther.

I would put new leaf springs on or have them re-arched. I put new ones on my Barracuda. I got them from springs and things. I did 1" over, but I wish I would have done factory height.

I would have to look through my paperwork. They also go by the name ESPO. They are pretty reasonable. Good service and fast shipping.

Have a question guys. Is changing the duster from an auto to manual a horrible idea at this point. I mean i would rather have a manual trans for a few reasons. But do the reasons for a manual trans (pretty much just shifting gears) outweigh the cons of a swap? I've read some forums and can't get a good idea if I should do it or not. Don't wanna spend 5k, have no clue how complex it is, and it sounds like a huge pain in the a**. Anybody have a rough idea what cheapest, efficient transmission swap could cost. With everything considered?

Do you remember how much you spent on the set?
I just bought a set of ESPO standard height springs. They were $250. plus $63 shipping. If you want anything other than stock, they get another $40.

If the lower control arms off the 6 car have the sway bar tabs, I would use those. I would also upgrade the 8 3/4 to big bolt pattern.
+1 on this. A good rear axle leaves lots of room for improvement in other places, you don't want your 383 to be putting power down through a grenade.

Welcome Camm! If your 73 parts car has a sway bar, it more than likely has front disc brakes also. If that's the case, I would use the entire k frame and front suspension from that car. As far as swapping to a manual transmission, if you want to do it, now would be the time to get the floor hump installed. That way, it will be in place whenever you're ready to paint the floor pan. Since you're installing a big block, it may be easier to use a hydraulic throwout bearing instead of monkeying around with a dozen pieces of linkage. If you decide on new leaf springs, ESPO is the place to go. If you buy new axles for the 8 3/4, get them from Dr. Diff. You can Google him, or he may even be a FABO sponsor vendor. We're glad you're here, so ask any question you may have. Most of us are old farts that have been fooling with these cars since we were your age, and we all had to learn our lessons. I'm still learning to, and hopefully won't stop trying to. In the last few days, I have learned that changing a starter on ANY old Mopar with headers is a pie job compared to replacing a starter on a Honda Element.....lol. Hang in there, you will get it done eventually. I say eventually because it's obvious that you have your priorities straight....family first! :)

Cam; I would can the 4 spd idea. You're taking a big bite here. Nothing wrong with a strong shifting 727 or 904. If you miss the 4spd too much, just drop in a reverse pattern valve body and then u can shift the Auto trans manually.

Cam; I would can the 4 spd idea. You're taking a big bite here. Nothing wrong with a strong shifting 727 or 904. If you miss the 4spd too much, just drop in a reverse pattern valve body and then u can shift the Auto trans manually.
Yeah, I feel like this is beyond my level by about three football fields.

-
Back