1970 Duster project in Sweden

-
Post 218..picture 3... See the rough edged situation, underneath the valve job? Take some 80-120 grit sand paper, sand it smooth, & concentric, to the eye..... Just my opine...
Yeah. Everything is still rough and I will have to go over it again and finish with sandpaper rolls. My hands get fatigued after a while so I do a little each time I'm in the garage.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_474f.jpg

Made some more progress today.

Today a friend who works at a paint shop came by. We decided to go for a full respray on the Duster. So I got some more bodywork to address now :) The 360 project will have to take the backseat for a while I suppose. We are going for the same color, but it will look a bit darker and a bit more green, since mine is sun faded today.

Removed the stripes today. It looks so different without them. I got some major sanding to do now. Also been working on the grill.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_475a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_475e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_475f.jpg

It was tricky getting it out. Looking forward to refurbishing it :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4765.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4768.jpg

If you loosen the steering column bolts and let it hang down, it is a lot easier to take the gauges out.

If you loosen the steering column bolts and let it hang down, it is a lot easier to take the gauges out.
I did that, I still thought it was quite tight to get my hands up there and loosen the cable for the speedometer :)

Yes the speedometer is tight, maybe stick your arm thru the radio hole, its been a while since I done mine.

Did some work on my Volvo V70. Changed wheel bearing and ABS-ring.
17973550_1290566094360149_2149315474711953635_o.jpg

Sprayed the satin black. Masked and gonna spray the "chrome" and then the new woodgrain sticker. This is probably not gonna turn out great, but hopefully better than before :)
nCcOI4KHTb+w74gIktqX5A_thumb_4783.jpg

Been doing body work in the garage every day this week. I always forget to take pictures, sorry bout that. I will try to do it tomorrow. I have also painted the frame for the dash and the floor. Hoping I can have the instrument cluster installed by the end of the week. Also hope I have been able to finish most of the sanding.

This work is totally humbling. It's the fist time I do this and it's so difficult. I hope it will come out looking good enough for me to appreciate it. A friend who is a painter will do the respray, but I do all the prep work.

Have your painter friend look it over real good when you think you are finished sanding. He will be able to tell you if it needs more work, a good painter will know is the surface is prepped correctly.

Have your painter friend look it over real good when you think you are finished sanding. He will be able to tell you if it needs more work, a good painter will know is the surface is prepped correctly.
I will. He will come and look it over when I think I am near completion and probably put me to more work :)

Slowly making progress. I spent 46 hours working on it since Monday. Still lots of things to complete.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47ac.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47b2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47b3.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47b4.jpg

And people wonder why it cost so much to paint a car.

My body work was accepted. Tomorrow it's off to the paint shop! I'm nervous and excited!

-
Back