1970 Duster project in Sweden

-
Wow that guy was quick on the paint work.

It's still the old 273 in the car. I will be getting back to working on the 360 asap.

New paint and woodgrain sticker for the cluster
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47b1.jpg

New paint for the grille too
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47cd.jpg

Cleaned and painted the floor
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47ce.jpg

Installed sound/resonance deadening material. Not too pretty, but no one is gonna see it :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47ca.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47cb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47d0.jpg

I started installing the new carpet yesterday. I laid it out in the car and then let it rest with a little electric radiator on low heat. It was a lot easier to get it to fit after that. I have not yet trimmed any parts. I think I might need to trim the sides a little. How much goes under the door sill?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47d3.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47d4.jpg

I have continued to work on the interior. The carpet is now finished.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47e3.jpg

I used paint from Herb's Parts for my front seats. I have to say it worked out really well. These are not the original seats, someone before me took out the bench seat and installed these, I think they are from a Oldsmobile. Now they have the same color as the back seat!

Before:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47e0.jpg

And after
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47dd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_47e5.jpg

It feels great to finally put stuff back together again. I have taken the time to polish all the trim and stuff. It's in pretty bad condition, but with a lot of elbow grease it's turning out decent. A friend hooked me up with a nice set of 3 point seat belts that I also installed.

Installed my new gauges, wood grain and a fake chrome list today. The interior is starting to really look good :)
5AN25eWGR8CBo5hpH4JTnw_thumb_47f9.jpg

I got my Nighthawks today and installed them right away. I do like the look of the originals better, but man what a difference with brand new headlights!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4803.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4801.jpg

It's starting to come together again. Been doing an hour there and an hour there. Whenever I can I guess. Polishing trim eats up a lot of time but it sure makes a big difference. I also ordered a new stripe kit that I'm waiting on.

With help from slantsixdan I'm working on upgrading the lights on the Duster. I now have flashing front sidemarkers. The old sockets where totaly shot so I drilled them out and replaced them.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4808.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_480a.jpg

My friend snapped this picture while I was out for a little test drive. I will take some better pics in the sun when it's ready for the road. It's my friends Dart besides the Duster. He's got a hot 440 in it. It runs strong!
KCL7V+GnRKmKVZZMxAvUCQ_thumb_481d.jpg

I woke up from a nap, decided to check out the site since it's been a while, and look at here! A great thread. Good job man.

LOL! Yea man! A little Rip Van Winkle and stuff happens! He is doing ahellva job! Sweet it is!

Now that I have been driving the car some I discovered a vibration in the front and steering wheel when braking. Turned out I had a bad slop in the idler arm. It's almost new and seems to be in good condition, but I could shim it so that it could not travel on the bolt between the jaws of the k-member. I also discovered that my brake shoes up front need replacing and that I might have to machine the drums. A friend will look at them, if they are good I will get new shoes, if they are done I will go disc brakes.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_484b.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4852.jpg

And some photos of the lights :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_485b.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_485d.jpg

Whoah, looks brand new! Interior and exterior. Great job-
And nice find on that 360, I remember you told me about getting one.
Did you buy the bitumen from Biltema? I put that in my Camaro and it was unexpectedly easy to get in and around things.

Whoah, looks brand new! Interior and exterior. Great job-
And nice find on that 360, I remember you told me about getting one.
Did you buy the bitumen from Biltema? I put that in my Camaro and it was unexpectedly easy to get in and around things.
Thanks :) The 360 is still on a stand in my garage, but I hope to build it and install it in the coming winter. Yes I bought the Bitumen from Biltema. Do you still have that Camaro, would be cool to see a picture? How is your 360 build coming along?

Yeah I saw that, take your time :)
No I sold it to be able to pay the machine shop for the work on my 360, little did I know it would take them like 9 months to finish it...
It's been a struggle since day one but right now I will have to smoothen the chinese roller rockers I bought so they will fit over the springs and then basically put it together and put it in the car, so completion date next year :-D

IMG_20150209_132835.jpg

IMG_20150708_132334.jpg

IMG_20150708_132242.jpg

-
Back