1970 Swinger Build Thread (PURISTS BEWARE)

-
Right on Joe! I am a purest at heart but the LS/4L combo's do have a lot going for them.

if the assholes at chrysler weren't so anti enthusiast for so long you might see less of this type of swaps. but fact of the matter is that there is far more aftermarket support for a LS then a modern hemi.. just the way it is, can't argue the fact ... looks to me like a smart swap.. i believe the LS is a little more narrow then the hemi and fits an a-body well..

It fits in there nice or so it seems to me also...... Probably the most important part of his build is that he is actually using his own hands to build it and not paying someone. That's the deal. It's too bad that everytime something really takes off in the aftermarket world for domestic it doesn't have a Penestar attacked to it. But there is always hope....

If I were to personally take the plunge into something like this I would really go against the grain and use a Drivetrain out of a 86/87 Turbo Regal. I know how to make them run and get thrown out of a track for lack of safety equipment. 25mpg, extremely driver friendly with a nice overdrive, and easy to maintain once you do the simple things necessary to make it live for 11:40's in a 3300lb street car...

JW

I love people that have that hotrodding ability. I never got into it other than swapping out engines, changing over to 4 speeds, rear ends, bodywork... not real hotrodding.... I had a guy that did hotrods do most of my bodywork back in 90's when i was doing a lot.. He could chop, french, shave, do it all. Cool! But he could down a case of Bud every day too! ha..... I needed my cars done and sold.
I guess I am just too old and old school, have that touch of purist in me , just a touch though!
Like just said, I respect anyone that at least attempts to do his won work, as much as possible. No doubt Gm and Ford repop parts are cheaper, all parts in general, way more support from the companies... ALL so true... Maybe why all these last 30 years I have found mopar guys to be more of a family. We had to be!!

i hear the guys buying alter-k's with the ls mounts drop them in, get a set of 300 dollar headers and go..
If I were to personally take the plunge into something like this I would really go against the grain and use a Drivetrain out of a 86/87 Turbo Regal. I know how to make them run and get thrown out of a track for lack of safety equipment. 25mpg, extremely driver friendly with a nice overdrive, and easy to maintain once you do the simple things necessary to make it live for 11:40's in a 3300lb street car...

theres one that has been for sale locally on craigslist that i have had my eye on.. i don't know what to even look for though and if its a decent price.. love the car though...

A great classic 1986 REGAL LIMITED with 90,126 miles all original Paint very Solid car.
Too many new Parts to list, ready to go anywhere turn Key and go enjoy your new Ride.
Asking $4,500 If you looking at ad YES CAR IS STILL AVAILABLE.

00707_lEl0KwvfPpk_1200x900.jpg

00505_5PuLXvJBSTv_600x450.jpg

i hear the guys buying alter-k's with the ls mounts drop them in, get a set of 300 dollar headers and go..

theres one that has been for sale locally on craigslist that i have had my eye on.. i don't know what to even look for though and if its a decent price.. love the car though...

Not gonna sidetrack this thread but there is a reason there is no underhood pic. It's not a turbo car.... Just a regal limited with a this and that to make someone think it's a LC2 car....

JW

Hey OP, great thread. Don’t let the head in the sand, purple shaft loving, stuck in the 80’s mopar dinosaurs discourage you. Great build! I probably would have gone with a giant turbo on a 2JZ but to each their own!!

Just in case anyone was wondering about how I came to be with the Nissan transmission, here's some of the research I did with different transmission combinations I was interested in. I even included some of the Mopar transmissions if I had stuck with a newer 5.9 Dodge engine (which had actually crossed my mind even though I had forgot to include that in the first post). Each option has an (M) for manual or (A) for automatic as well as the gear ratios and the top speed in each gear with 3.91 gears, 26" tires and a 6,500 rpm rev limiter just as a way to visualize the spacing between gears.

(M) Nissan CD009- 2006+ 350Z and G35

Ratios:
1st - 3.784. 33mph
2nd - 2.324. 55mph
3rd - 1.624. 79mph
4th - 1.271. 100mph
5th - 1.000. 127mph
6th - 0.794. 162mph

(M) Nissan FS5R30- 1990+ 300ZX + R32/R33

Ratios:

1st - 3.214. 39mph
2nd - 1.925. 67mph
3rd - 1.302. 98mph
4th - 1.000. 127mph
5th - .752. 170mph

(M) Tremec T-56- 1999-2002 Camaro/Firebird

Ratios:

1st - 2.66. 48mph
2nd - 1.78. 71mph
3rd - 1.30. 99mph
4th - 1.00. 127mph
5th - .74. 172mph
6th - .50. 255mph

(M) Tremec TR-6060- 2010+ Camaro SS

Ratios:

1st - 3.01. 42mph
2nd - 2.07. 62mph
3rd - 1.43. 89mph
4th - 1.00. 127mph
5th - .84. 152mph
6th - .57. 226mph

(A) GM 4L60E/4L65E- 1999+ Silverado/Camaro

Ratios:

1st - 3.06. 42mph
2nd - 1.62. 79mph
3rd - 1.00. 127mph
4th - .70. 184mph

(A) GM 4L80e- 1999+ Silverado HD w/ 6.0

Ratios:

1st - 2.48. 51mph
2nd - 1.48. 88mph
3rd - 1.00. 127mph
4th - .75. 170mph

(A) Chrysler Torqueflight 904- Mopar A Body

Ratios:

1st - 2.70. 47mph
2nd - 1.54. 83mph
3rd - 1.00. 127mph

(A) Chrysler Torqueflight 727- Big Block Mopars/Trucks

Ratios:

1st - 2.45. 52mph
2nd - 1.45. 91mph
3rd - 1.00. 127mph

Got some more progress done today. I got the 6 liter puller out of its hole and got my 5th Gen Camaro/ Pontiac G8 oil pan installed. Here's some pics comparing the standard deep truck oil pan next to the new pan. It's just over an inch shorter, half an inch thinner at the front near where the steering rack may go and holds 8 quarts of oil! Between the baffle in the pan and the windage tray, I should have any oil starvation issues. Still need to get the sump for the Camaro and make a small windage tray modification but I will get that done when the engine gets tore down. I won this thing on eBay for $56 shipped and came with a gasket that's in nearly brand new condition!
thumbnail (33).jpg

thumbnail (34).jpg

thumbnail (35).jpg

thumbnail (36).jpg

I also fit the transmission in place by myself in the stone which sucked... I raised the car up with the engine hoist got everything bolted up (which went very nicely thanks to the G Force Crossmembers kit!) and lowered the car down to see where I had to trim the tunnel. I knew going in that it was going to be tight but I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out except the shifter location which I knew going in would be an issue. I pushed the engine back an inch farther towards the rear. There's almost FEET of room to the rad support! Also, what angle do you guys recommend to tilt the engine back? I'ts currently sitting at 3.5 degrees and it looks pretty good, but don't want too much.
thumbnail (37).jpg

thumbnail (38).jpg

Finally, I tossed the suspension back in there as a mock up to see where I sit offset wise. These are the 235/60R15 rear tires that measure 26.1" tall which is half an inch taller than I plan, plus the bolt pattern is wrong so I may knock the studs out of the Vette wheel bearings. I was short on time and the knuckle is sitting too high, but its will be somewhere in there which puts the lower arm only about 4 inches from the oil pan. I also need to see if I have the option of getting upper control arm bushings that don't have the bar pin in them and mount more like the factory A Body upper arms. I could have my buddy turn some Delrin ones up if needed.
thumbnail (40).jpg

thumbnail (39).jpg

Last edited:
Am I happy about the LS/Nissan trans swap into a Mopar? Not really, though I am interested in seeing the results.

Is it his car? Damn right. Who gives a damn what he does.

Is he keeping another Dart out of the scrap pile? Yep, and isn’t that really the ultimate point?

Haven't made much progress. I've been building another LS project for a buddy. Check out this sweet little 1998 C1500 Single cab, short box 2wd that's dropped a ways. Just did a 5.3/4L80E and a turbo in this. Alsmost finished up.

20180119_150138.jpg

20180329_152400.jpg

20180410_192151.jpg

Also, Classic Industries just received $2500 of my money. I bought the complete quarters, outer wheel houses, trunk extensions, upper deck lid filler and a complete floor. I had bought the rockers from Year One about a month ago. Still going to need the Good Mark inner fenders for the front and the AMD upper cowl, but it's a big start

I see a lot of good hot hottin' going on here. Probably going to take some custom upper and lower control arms if you are going to use a factory K w / factory geometry.

Last edited:
Your wagoneer was really cool. After I sold my '78 I kept looking at yours on jeeptruck. I love the waggys but after dealing with my own rust bucket I'm not sure I'll ever get another.

I see a lot of good hot hottin' going on here. Probably going to take some custom upper and lower control arms if you are going to use a factory K w / factory geometry.
HemiDenny, I really appreciate your response. My plan was to build a custom K member, that way I have a solid place to mount the Mustang II steering rack without having to mangle some mounts onto the factory K member.

HemiDenny, I really appreciate your response. My plan was to build a custom K member, that way I have a solid place to mount the Mustang II steering rack without having to mangle some mounts onto the factory K member.
I already built a K with a C6 front end mated to it, It's called the XV VTR suspension...

22046099_1700762719975470_5452844805316989304_n.jpg

22049946_1700762716642137_5344625626432620872_n.jpg

22089651_1700762736642135_1113310630622421160_n.jpg

22195702_1700762819975460_2000883308100917487_n.jpg

Thank you for the pics. That will be very helpful when it comes time to fabricate mine.

This project was pushed aside all summer. Finally got concrete poured in the garage and while everything was emptied out, the car sat outside all summer while I was busy boating and motocross racing. Now I've actually got 2 Suzuki RM 250 2 strokes for sale if anyone is interested!

I just got back to working in this a couple days ago. I've dusted off the Vette suspension and re-inventoried all my parts. I also had a real heart to heart with myself and realized that the car will never recirrethr appreciation it deserves unless it had a Gen 3 Hemi. I started another thread in the New Hemi Swap section about choosing the correct engine to use, and I am heading to the pick n pull on Saturday to get a truck 5.7 and 545RFE transmission. My girlfriend can't drive a manual and I know she would have fun with the car as well, plus I don't really like the manual options for a Gen 3 Hemi. It's rather $3,000 on a Viper T56, or a non overdrive 833 and I want overdrive.

Last week at the same pick n pull, I had to help my brother get a transmission and K frame for his Honda Accord and while we were there, I snagged the rear differential from a 2006 Ford Explorer. The axle code is 46, so it's an open carrier with 3.73 gears. I will eventually have to swap out the carrier for a limited slip, but I found the 2006+ diff that I wanted with the much beefier mounts.

Thank you for the pics. That will be very helpful when it comes time to fabricate mine.

This project was pushed aside all summer. Finally got concrete poured in the garage and while everything was emptied out, the car sat outside all summer while I was busy boating and motocross racing. Now I've actually got 2 Suzuki RM 250 2 strokes for sale if anyone is interested!

I just got back to working in this a couple days ago. I've dusted off the Vette suspension and re-inventoried all my parts. I also had a real heart to heart with myself and realized that the car will never recirrethr appreciation it deserves unless it had a Gen 3 Hemi. I started another thread in the New Hemi Swap section about choosing the correct engine to use, and I am heading to the pick n pull on Saturday to get a truck 5.7 and 545RFE transmission. My girlfriend can't drive a manual and I know she would have fun with the car as well, plus I don't really like the manual options for a Gen 3 Hemi. It's rather $3,000 on a Viper T56, or a non overdrive 833 and I want overdrive.

Last week at the same pick n pull, I had to help my brother get a transmission and K frame for his Honda Accord and while we were there, I snagged the rear differential from a 2006 Ford Explorer. The axle code is 46, so it's an open carrier with 3.73 gears. I will eventually have to swap out the carrier for a limited slip, but I found the 2006+ diff that I wanted with the much beefier mounts.
you're gonna let her drive your car!??!?! :poke::realcrazy:

Pictures won't help, there's about $500,000 worth of design and R&D sitting there, the geometry and shocks are the key.

Best of luck...

CR

Pictures won't help, there's about $500,000 worth of design and R&D sitting there, the geometry and shocks are the key.

Best of luck...
CR

Are you guys back in business? I really like the Hemi intake that you guys used to produce but they seem to be impossible to find anymore, even on the used market. Just wondering if something like that could be expected to return.

So yesterday I went and got the Hemi. I found a 2004 Ram 1500 2wd at a local pick n pull with the 5.7. I got the engine, transmission, and harness from the Ram, then, in the same row was a 2009 Chrysler Aspen with the Eagle 5.7. We snagged the heads, valve covers and coil packs from it. When I pulled the heads, I found that the #2 cylinder intake valve suffered from the typical valve seat failure of the early 03-08 Hemi's so it looks like it will take a trip to the machine shop and a new set of pistons. Not really sure yet which way to go with what pistons to put in it.

As far as the transmission goes, I plan on using the 545RFE but may end up with a Transgo shift kit but I also need to find a 2007-2008 Ram PCM so I can access the transmission tune with HP Tuners. I also grabbed the rear driveshaft for the truck so I can use the truck slip yoke.

MVIMG_20181124_121141.jpg

MVIMG_20181124_201255.jpg

MVIMG_20181124_121150.jpg

So yesterday I went and got the Hemi. I found a 2004 Ram 1500 2wd at a local pick n pull with the 5.7. I got the engine, transmission, and harness from the Ram, then, in the same row was a 2009 Chrysler Aspen with the Eagle 5.7. We snagged the heads, valve covers and coil packs from it. When I pulled the heads, I found that the #2 cylinder intake valve suffered from the typical valve seat failure of the early 03-08 Hemi's so it looks like it will take a trip to the machine shop and a new set of pistons. Not really sure yet which way to go with what pistons to put in it.

As far as the transmission goes, I plan on using the 545RFE but may end up with a Transgo shift kit but I also need to find a 2007-2008 Ram PCM so I can access the transmission tune with HP Tuners. I also grabbed the rear driveshaft for the truck so I can use the truck slip yoke.

Enjoy the pics! So far this is just some of the damage and the engine cleaned up with some Gunk Engine Degreaser and my pressure washer. I plan on tearing it down later in the week.

View attachment 1715253582

View attachment 1715253583
I take it you are aware of the compression ratio being increased above 11.5:1 with the Eagle heads on the 04 block right?

Yes I am. And I've read where the remedy is typically thicker head gaskets. But it looks like since I'm going to have to buy new pistons anyways, maybe I have some options for compression ratio. Does anyone know the max static compression ratio for a 5.7 Hemi on 91 octane fuel? Obviously camshaft selection and timing have a huge affect on octane tolerance but I'm sure someone has a generally safe number they stick by

Yes I am. And I've read where the remedy is typically thicker head gaskets. But it looks like since I'm going to have to buy new pistons anyways, maybe I have some options for compression ratio. Does anyone know the max static compression ratio for a 5.7 Hemi on 91 octane fuel? Obviously camshaft selection and timing have a huge affect on octane tolerance but I'm sure someone has a generally safe number they stick by
from what I researched on the LX swap forum, 10.5:1. Ethanol is also an option it appears. The head gaskets appear to be the simplest solution. One thing too, it appears that longer push rods will be needed if one does the Head gasket fix.

Are you guys back in business? I really like the Hemi intake that you guys used to produce but they seem to be impossible to find anymore, even on the used market. Just wondering if something like that could be expected to return.

We never went out, XVM went belly up when the owner ran out of Peters to pay Pauls... I started my business shortly after..

As far as ma Chrysler not being hot rod friendly, they have always been the red headed step child, a little different, more difficult, but that's what we enjoy. If I wanted a 5.0 fox body mustang cookie cutter, that I can buy go fast bolt on parts from ebay, I'd build one...

LS is great platform if that's what you're into, Gen III Hemi, Hellcrate, that's all that needs to be said!!! :)

Non Eagle, with Eagle heads is a good, cheap platform, no VVT to worry about, you can run a MSD 6 box on it, solid 400 to 450hp all day long in the size of a small block... That's what I'm building for my 67 GT, XV intake, either 4150 4brl, or 4brl EFI self tune...

I'm building a TR3650 Mustang (no haters) S95 5 speed, with a conversion end plate, and an Aluminum bell... I may upgrade to 26 spline, not sure yet, still cutting the rust out of it, bought house, yadda, yadda, yadda....

I'm pretty busy at the moment, but if the OP is interested, I could build you a K that will take your lowers and spindles without motor mounts, they'll get you started....

I already posted this in my other thread, but since this has more information in it about the LS, k figured it would be fitting here as well. I made my first of hopefully many YouTube videos sitting the LS and G3 Hemi side by side and comparing parts and dimensions. Let me know what you think! Hopefully someone will find the information in it useful for their project!

-
Back