1972 318 LA Timing Tab (Austalian Chrysler)

-

Desoto Dave

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a '56 Desoto Diplomat that has been repowered with an Australian origin 1972 318 V8 (LA motor) from an Aussie VH Valiant.

This particular engine has a bolt on timing tab on the left side of the motor (looking at the front of the engine). The tab is missing.

The water pump hose points to the right side of the engine. The balancer and timing mark is on the left. There are no marks on the timing cover, hence my assumption it is one of the bolt on tab engines.

I am hoping someone can tell me where to source one please.

Example below from an older 273 engine.

273-Timing-Mark-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have a '56 Desoto Diplomat that has been repowered with an Australian origin 1972 318 V8 (LA motor) from an Aussie VH Valiant.

This particular engine has a bolt on timing tab on the left side of the motor (looking at the front of the engine). The tab is missing.

The water pump hose points to the right side of the engine. The balancer and timing mark is on the left. There are no marks on the timing cover, hence my assumption it is one of the bolt on tab engines.

I am hoping someone can tell me where to source one please.

Example below from an older 273 engine.

View attachment 1715041318

Please excuse my mis-spelling of 'Australian' in the subject line! Couldn't figure out how to edit it.

That would be our pre 70 small blocks and maybe even the wide block 318 that used that timing tab. Are you using an aluminum water pump or cast iron?

All the early timing cover I have, have the timing marks cat into the cover.

I only remember those bolt on ones one the 318 poly, but I could be incorrect.

Strange as i think only the vf valiant 318 engines and earlier models had the timing tab on the left hand side and cast iron water pump.
I would be checking where the balancer mark ends up when number one is at tdc. Could be a water pump,timing cover and balancer off an earlier engine or there might be a mismatch in parts.

All the early timing cover I have, have the timing marks cat into the cover.

I only remember those bolt on ones one the 318 poly, but I could be incorrect.

273 and early 318 engines in Australia had the bolt on timing tab on the LHS but i have seen and used the timing covers with cast marks on the LHS.

Finally found a solution. Couldn't get a timing tab, but found something better here in NZ - a factory timing cover with marks on the side I need!
Will be installing soon.

sb_chrysler_timing_cover_01b.jpg

Finally found a solution. Couldn't get a timing tab, but found something better here in NZ - a factory timing cover with marks on the side I need!
Will be installing soon.

View attachment 1715070549

They made the covers with the marks cast in and with the bolt on tab, depending on what vintage you had...

-
Back