1972 Canadian H-Code 340 Dart Swinger Special Resto - Finally started!

-
I appreciate the kind comment 65dartcharger, hope you enjoy future posts. Since it's a back to factory restoration it's not the sexiest or maybe the most interesting but these particular cars need to go back to original since there are so few of them, at least in my opinion. Now I just need to get something accomplished.
I know what you are going through! I did the same job with my 65 Dart Charger. The trip is well orth the time and efforts and it takes the hobby to a new level.

Hi Danny. your bumpers look great......especially the rear. It was pretty wavy before you started working on it. I'm hopeful that my car will be returning home this month. Restorick has an assembly guide on his site that I plan to use. Do you have a particular game plan that you follow?

Yeh they turned out better then expected, I was relieved. This is the first car I've taken apart to this extent Kevin so my plan was to go in reverse to they way I took it apart using all the pictures that I took. Might not be the best plan, I'm interested in this assembly guide of Restorick, I couldn't find it on his web site, is it something in the store? If I get in a jam I may have to call in my expert scatpacker who's done several of these A-bodies to bail me out, lol.

Bumpers turned out nice! Keep up the good work and cant want to see the finished product. Cool to see the Hurst 4 speed shifter handle. I'm sure you can wait to start rowing through the gears again:)

Bumpers turned out nice! Keep up the good work and cant want to see the finished product. Cool to see the Hurst 4 speed shifter handle. I'm sure you can wait to start rowing through the gears again:)

Thanks Three40, it's been thirty plus years since I rowed thru these gears, hope I haven't lost my touch but your right I wish it was tomorrow.

Decided to build some axle holding arms that would make working on my diff a bit more convenient, seen this version on the net that would take advantage of my spare engine stand. unfortunately the arms on my old stand worked fine for an engine block but don't reach out wide enough for an 8 3/4 due to the tapered housing so I had to make some longer ones. They seem to work nicely.

IMG_3903_zpsitl8xyvy.jpg

IMG_3904_zpsjfuroabt.jpg

IMG_3905_zpsbzz7jj2n.jpg

Little paint and some foam,

IMG_3906_zpsrjbr6dsk.jpg

IMG_3907_zpsoguenvfi.jpg

IMG_3908_zpsxrvgmy1k.jpg

Sounds like your moving right along. Sounds like those cars didn't get the hood insulation pad by default....
Hi Dave. Got another question at you about you awesome '72 340 example... Does the fuel filter actually happen before the fuel pump? Here's a couple pics that I pulled off of Jeff Skunkard's pics of your car, and looks like it but...? I you could check, that would be greatly appreciated.

72_340-engine-canister&alternator.jpg

72_340-engine-p.s.over-veiw-shot.jpg

Oh, and if you confirm the filter position, how was it attached? I know the fuel line ends close under there, but would there be a longer piece of hose to reach the fuel pump and if so, which side - body or engine? Thanks in advance. Cg

Oh, and if you confirm the filter position, how was it attached? I know the fuel line ends close under there, but would there be a longer piece of hose to reach the fuel pump and if so, which side - body or engine? Thanks in advance. Cg

Starting in 72 the fuel filter was relocated down low just off the frame rail for safety reasons due to the top mounted filters in 70-71 being a fire hazzard if the connections would leak. Yes, before the fuel pump and suspended by the two short "KV" hoses. The one you see pictured is a correct replacement sourced from Dante's.

Nice looking bumpers & shifter handle! Your in the fun stage for sure!

042.JPG
Starting in 72 the fuel filter was relocated down low just off the frame rail for safety reasons due to the top mounted filters in 70-71 being a fire hazzard if the connections would leak. Yes, before the fuel pump and suspended by the two short "KV" hoses. The one you see pictured is a correct replacement sourced from Dante's.

Nice looking bumpers & shifter handle! Your in the fun stage for sure!

Good question Cliff and thanks for great picture Dave, another small item I forgot about and need to put on my to buy list.
Thanks so much Dave. Timely, as the 'Kevinator' is smoken' along with the engine install on mine. And yes Danny (and other '72 340 owners) - glad we found this out before we all got too far along, even tho it would be a somewhat easy change but better to make right first - so again thanks Dave for your survivor and info.

B5_Assembly-Eng-Install-5.jpg

Thanks so much Dave. Timely, as the 'Kevinator' is smoken' along with the engine install on mine. And yes Danny (and other '72 340 owners) - glad we found this out before we all got too far along, even tho it would be a somewhat easy change but better to make right first - so again thanks Dave for your survivor and info.

View attachment 1715045272

Close up of that battery tray please! Ha!

Engine oil dipstick should be black....dipstick tube is correct. Typically the dipstick black paint is missing even on low mile originals. Below is a 21,000 mile super original 1972 Duster340 4 speed car of which a small amount of black paint still remains. Trans stick is of course natural.

DSC_5231_zps730xyzbq.jpg

Engine oil dipstick should be black....dipstick tube is correct. Typically the dipstick black paint is missing even on low mile originals. Below is a 21,000 mile super original 1972 Duster340 4 speed car of which a small amount of black paint still remains. Trans stick is of course natural.

Haha, you like the happy face my resto guy put on the battery tray, eh. Here's what he sent... thanks Kevin.
And Dave, thanks for the call on the dipstick, I'll let Todd, my engine guy know that - were they all black or just the blue engines starting April '71?
Oh, and what would the numerals '67' written on the valve cover of the EV car mean, and did they all have it? Also, none of these Canadian cars got the 'undercoat' type spray around the heater motor and heater core in/outlets.
Danny, this should be exactly what your's will look like, eh? Nice reference Dave. Thanks so much. Cliff

HappyFace-rag.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the Swingers were made at the Windsor Plant in '72 (as were a lot of Swingers in the '70's), and some were made at Hamtramck, so I'm thinking the Windsor cars didn't get the undercoat on the firewall. I know all Demons and Dusters got. As for the 676, that'd be the first I've seen. Interesting tho. Thx

-
Back