1972 Canadian H-Code 340 Dart Swinger Special Resto - Finally started!

-
Haven't seemed to accomplish much lately but did some work on sub assemblies parts,

Attempted to remove the bearings off my axles by first splitting the retainer rings. Started by drilling a small hole on the outside by the bearing the used my cutting disc to take it most of the way then cold chisel split the rest of the way. Unfortunately our press at work wasn't up to the job of pressing the bearings off so took them over to the mechanic shop to get that done. In the mean time I found out on Dr.Diff's blog site that the Mopar green bearings I purchased a number of years ago that have the flange ring pressed on to the bearing can cause problems that I don't want so I had to order some green bearing that have the loose flange and snap ring, should show up this week, so the axles are on hold.

IMG_3926_zps8qzr7lrk.jpg

IMG_3927_zpsrgd1g7lf.jpg

IMG_3928_zpsdpp49ego.jpg

IMG_4002_zpshzeqxvno.jpg

In the mean time I got to work on all the metal pieces that I want to retain the bare metal look and got most of them coated,

IMG_3950_zpsjy5v5kkp.jpg

IMG_3951_zpswy5wzwpy.jpg

Cleaned up a number of pieces that are going black and got them sprayed,

IMG_3968_zpsswnyivoq.jpg

IMG_3996_zpsbqhalvxk.jpg

and tackled replacing the bushing in the sway bar, used a bit different method then some by cutting the welds then blasting and painting the pieces,

IMG_3962_zpsbw29mcxw.jpg

Then slide the bushing on and clamp the parts together and with small welds and some air to cool them with weld them back together,

IMG_3989_zpswgm1mkq6.jpg

IMG_3992_zpsqpywatox.jpg

Then clean up the welds and touch up bare metal,

IMG_3995_zpsm8jibtze.jpg

Slow going, need to pick up the pace.

I want to put out a huge thanks to Booster Dewey from Power Brake Booster Exchange for the sweet job they did on rebuilding and re-plating my booster and the brackets and linkage. I turned out really nice and the price was very reasonable. We can't get a lot of this kind of work done up here so it's great that our American cousins have some talented craftsman that can. My carb that Harm's did and my booster are like automotive jewelry, I'm not sure I'll be able to put them on some how it seems like they should be on my coffee table, lol!

The way it was,

DSC00482_zpsz29rpidt.jpg

DSC00481_zps3im9sppo.jpg

IMG_3914_zpsq8phxmah.jpg

The way it came home today,

IMG_4004_zpsvm80pvqb.jpg

IMG_4006_zps25i8znee.jpg

IMG_4008_zpsc8xn1iob.jpg

More precious,

DSC00162_zpsxha52sew.jpg

Danny, you'll be running into this, as I am now... Does anyone know the original part number placed on the Electronic Ignition Module (ECU) just under the wire harness 5 pin plug. Dave, did you have the original ECU in your Duster? This is a pic of what might be an original that I had and hoped would work, but Kevin quickly found out it was toast. Would be great to have the number so we could re-stamp a new unit. Thanks in advance. Cg
72_Electronic.Ign.Unit-correct.JPG

Danny, you'll be running into this, as I am now... Does anyone know the original part number placed on the Electronic Ignition Module (ECU) just under the wire harness 5 pin plug. Dave, did you have the original ECU in your Duster? This is a pic of what might be an original that I had and hoped would work, but Kevin quickly found out it was toast. Would be great to have the number so we could re-stamp a new unit. Thanks in advance. CgView attachment 1715051496

Hmmmm, 346th day of 72...I believe mine is an NOS piece with an un- stamped date code. I will check tonight...

That would be great Dave.
So, what you're saying is that this one would have been made in December of '72 (3462), for a '73 car? If that's the case, would be great to know the original # made for my May 11, 1972 built Swinger 340 Special. Danny's was built on June 16th. Maybe yours will be stamped - fingers crossed. Thanx man.

This is the one that was on mine guys, I'm not sure if it's original or not, I don't remember ever changing it but memory is no screaming hell that far back but might have been changed by previous owner. The numbers look a bit fussy but looks like it was double stamped, I should go look for my 3D glasses from the 80's then they'll jump out! My voltage regulator as well.

IMG_4030_zpsjqyqcd4p.jpg

IMG_4031_zpstnd9927z.jpg

This is the one that was on mine guys, I'm not sure if it's original or not, I don't remember ever changing it but memory is no screaming hell that far back but might have been changed by previous owner. The numbers look a bit fussy but looks like it was double stamped, I should go look for my 3D glasses from the 80's then they'll jump out! My voltage regulator as well.

View attachment 1715051556

View attachment 1715051557

That ECU was built 305th week of 78.....The voltage reg however looks to be spot on at 28th week of 72. If it still regulates voltage consider yourself lucky!

That would be great Dave.
So, what you're saying is that this one would have been made in December of '72 (3462), for a '73 car? If that's the case, would be great to know the original # made for my May 11, 1972 built Swinger 340 Special. Danny's was built on June 16th. Maybe yours will be stamped - fingers crossed. Thanx man.
:thumbsup:

Here ya go.....My black car ECU.....Going back to this subject again has jogged my memory somewhat. Upon taking delivery back in August 2012 I had noticed the ECU installed at that time was a "newer" unit than what the car should have. It took me quite some time but I found the current NOS on the web. While it's date code is about 1 year prior to my car's SPD of 419 it was the closest I have been able to find. Some would say very acceptable being it was produced prior to the car. And yes 5 pin.

1972%20Black%20car%20ECU%20SPD_zps1r0b6mcf.jpg

Here ya go.....My black car ECU.....Going back to this subject again has jogged my memory somewhat. Upon taking delivery back in August 2012 I had noticed the ECU installed at that time was a "newer" unit than what the car should have. It took me quite some time but I found the current NOS on the web. While it's date code is about 1 year prior to my car's SPD of 419 it was the closest I have been able to find. Some would say very acceptable being it was produced prior to the car. And yes 5 pin.

View attachment 1715051621

1972%20Black%20car%20ECU_zpsz1c9fb4x.jpg

Dave. You Rock. Thanks for that information. Sounds like it will be a real tough time to find an NOS version, but will keep an eye out. With your car built a month or so before these Crosstown Motor City cars, we know what we will keep our eyes out for. Danny and Joel's cars were built a month later, so is the #3438850 code right for all '72's, with only the build date changing?

Dave. You Rock. Thanks for that information. Sounds like it will be a real tough time to find an NOS version, but will keep an eye out. With your car built a month or so before these Crosstown Motor City cars, we know what we will keep our eyes out for. Danny and Joel's cars were built a month later, so is the #3438850 code right for all '72's, with only the build date changing?

You have to remember the parts books were written in the previous year so the #3438850 number was superceded a few times during 1972. However that number would be correct for any 72 model with electronic ignition. Notice they list an ECU for a V code which was supposedly never built. Also they list ECU's for auto cars but not 4 speeds. Ever seen different color ECU's like red, & blue? I am talking about the gold portion on mine pictured. This signifies the type of RPM limiter used. I use to know which was which but with all the info swirling around in my head it gets lost sometime! See if I can find that info and post it here. I believe the old Direct Connection books had info about this.

Last edited:
Hey thanks Dave. Will keep my eyes open... interesting on the V code listing, and that these supposed never built Roadrunner(s) and Charger(s) got these coloured ECU's. 1972 had some interesting anomalies, eh?

Hey thanks Dave. Will keep my eyes open... interesting on the V code listing, and that these supposed never built Roadrunner(s) and Charger(s) got these coloured ECU's. 1972 had some interesting anomalies, eh?

1972 brought about a LOT of changes...Here is an original ECU attached to a 21,000 mile 72 4-speed...note the blue anodizing?

DSC_5240_zpssbcyswnt.jpg

Great information Dave, like Cliff said it will likely be really tough to find a good blue version but some diligence might score one.

Haven't got much to show for the last couple days, Ive been cleaning up lots of fasteners and blackening with CASWELL's black oxide and their sealer and cleaning up the fasteners that stay natural and coating them with EXO Armour. Tedious work but that's what makes a difference and hopefully they won't corrode for a long time.

IMG_4032_zpsegkgllsi.jpg

IMG_4033_zps6exezae0.jpg

Great information Dave, like Cliff said it will likely be really tough to find a good blue version but some diligence might score one.

Haven't got much to show for the last couple days, Ive been cleaning up lots of fasteners and blackening with CASWELL's black oxide and their sealer and cleaning up the fasteners that stay natural and coating them with EXO Armour. Tedious work but that's what makes a difference and hopefully they won't corrode for a long time.

Looks like your giving it your best. I need a project!

View attachment 1715052281

View attachment 1715052282

View attachment 1715052281

View attachment 1715052282

-
Back