1972 Demon Build

-
One step up and one back. Paint was flawed and needed help. I am not sure which is cheaper, attempting to make panels straight or AMD new metal.

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

My buddy thinks after the red stripes are on the hood will be too stark and it will need red hood scoops. I'm not so sure on that.

Last edited:
Got some work done. Parts table back out and items to install back in order. Need a rear bumper as mine is a little less nice than I would like. Seat belts going in. Lights going in. A few small touch ups and the stripe goes on. Decided I am going to put hood scoops on the car to break up white. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with last pic? Lol

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

I'll dig it up. Only thing I am going back to him for is to address door panels. They need to come off and have the trim strips placed. Was the only thing the wife forgot to take to him. The stripe goes over the gas cap on the driver side and I am struggling to find a cap to fit and seat flush to the side of the car. I think the previous owner may have had a 71 filler tube so I ordered a 71 cap tonight.

Got some work done. Parts table back out and items to install back in order. Need a rear bumper as mine is a little less nice than I would like. Seat belts going in. Lights going in. A few small touch ups and the stripe goes on. Decided I am going to put hood scoops on the car to break up white. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with last pic? Lol

View attachment 1715053416

Yep, taillight is reversed.

Progress on car is looking great.

Scoops will look nice.

Thanks brother. It's not a 100pt show car, but considering it came to me as a rusty shell with a need for just about everything it has come a long way. Stripes will be in this week if I can get the damn gas cap situation figured out.

Question. Picked these up for the front fenders. Buddy thinks I should paint red instead of blue. Thoughts? Next question. Ordered scoops that will be red....put them there instead? The Demon fender emblem is a sticker style.

IMG_0137.JPG

Last edited:
Great thread and great work. Car is awesome! Love the color combo. I vote red in the 383 emblems. Unless you have any other blue accents going on the outside.

No other blue accents on the outside. I thought about thin blue pinstripe at top of body line, but wifey put the smack on that. She just couldn't buy in to my patriotic red, white, and blue thing...lol

Ok. A bit of work today. Search for a gas cap continues! Blasted the jack, wrench, jack base plate. Bench tested the horn, cleaned and painted it. Ordered a bumper, but of course they are on back order so I cleaned and put some polish down on the one I had. Dents, scratches, rust and all. Had already restored the brackets awhile back. New hardware. Placed the DMT baskets into front and rear lights and installed correctly. Trunk weather strip set in place to dry. Can not find the damn license plate light assembly anywhere.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

I'll get better pics of underside when I get the car up on the lift to detail it there. Went cheap on the manual exhaust cutouts. I have a complete set of nice steel wheels. The car will eventually have chrome slots or something to that effect, but right now I am just going to get the car rolling. B body rear is going to make rear wheel back spacing a pain in the ***, and the funny thing is after I built it, at least a half dozen popped up. I should have just parted down the 72 Duster I had myself. I sold it and the guy said he was going to restore and didn't. Anyway.....lots of room back there. Left the B body hardware on to remind myself to be patient and find the part I am looking for.....

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

Ok. Blasted a pile of stuff today. Restoring jack, jack base, breaker bar. Car will have chrome rims, but for now I need it out and moving so body color steel wheels it is with caps for now. Pulled 71 filler tube and replaced with a 72. Going to have to work on the stance a bit.

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

Well most of the work this last week was geared towards sorting out some sort of security code issue with my wife's Camaro that kept shutting the car down. Now that that's out of the way it will get the dual exhaust installed. Got a bit of stuff done on the Demonas it heads for the finish line. Took the stripe to the paint store and got a pretty good match for the scoops and rims. Need to cut some air relief holes for scoops yet. Yes I know, wrong scoop for 72...lol

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

Well I just realized I painted the rims the wrong color. I was planning white...lol it may end up accidental awesomeness. Hood is ready to mount the scoops. Drilled out a few vent holes.

IMG_1679.JPG

Last edited:
Spent some time cleaning, blasting, and painting stuff to sell. Spent time on this intake getting it right for a customer with no resources to clean it and make it bolt on ready. Ran a tap in all the holes, blocked of power brake vacuum fitting hole. Turned out nice.

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

Ok. Spent some hours at the shop today. Part of the time was freeing the crank from a 71 400 to put it in the parts washer tank. Hopefully that will help me free the pistons. 76 block on the stand to finish disassembly. Thing looks new inside. Well and then some work on Demon. Scoops on, wheels on, stripe mocked up. Detailed inner fenderwells. I will save my pennies for chrome rims.

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

I continue to empty my storage and completed my tear down of motors. I am on to the small block motors. Still have more in storage to clear and working long days to clean up and restore items as I move along. 76 400 block I had on here sold out of the shop the minute I got the pistons out. It was pristine and someone had just put new bearings and rings in it. Off to Sweden to become a 471.

-
Back