1972 Duster Build

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Hey FABO family! I've posted a few times in other forums and I figured it was about time I started a build thread. Especially since I've actually started doing some work instead of just hunting for parts.

I got the Duster a few months back, bought it pretty much as a shell, 2 owners back had bought it because it had a rear coil over ladder bar suspension he wanted for another project and started parting out. Wish I had grabbed it before most of the parts were gone! The passenger door, interior, grille, gauges, tail lights, bumpers, hood, rear end, etc were sold so its been a bit of fun trying to find parts to put her back together.

It's been Back Halfed with an Alston chassis kit and tubbed. The cage has been started and the chassis has been tacked into place and the tub and sheet metal work is about 70% fabricated. It came with a Slant Six still in it and a 3 speed manual trans which I just pulled this weekend.

So far I've bought some parts from members here on the forum, sourced parts from local collectors, and crawled through the pick n pulls... I've purchased the following parts.

Hood, rear bumper, gauge cluster, passenger door, parking brake lever, pedal assembly, grille and bezels, door sill plates, kick panels, misc interior trim, interior door handles, engine bay wiring harness, rear light harness and a dome light assembly.

I've also picked up an 8.8 rear end with disc brakes and 4:10 gears which will be shortened soon. I've also grabbed the steering knuckles and caliper brackets off of a 77 Aspen Wagon for the front disc brake conversion. All new ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings as well as the tapered adapters for the upper ball joints so the stock UCA will work with the 77 knuckles.

I'm sure I forgot something in there somewhere... Anyway, my plan is to get her stripped down, cleaned up and slowly start putting her back together as a good rolling chassis and the start working on the body and paint. I'm not going for show but I'm looking to have a nice fun ride to cruise around town in. I've got a 318 and a904 that I'm going to stuff in her for now.

Paint will more than likely be Sassy Grass with Satin Black hood.... Maybe a dual snorkel scoop?
Haven't really even thought about wheels and tires just yet.

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you all as this will be my first A-body build (always been a 69-72 chevy truck guy) and I'm hoping to keep it on a tight budget.

Bringing her home- yes the rear end is sitting high. We used a donor rearend and bolted it into place using the ladder bar mounts and angle iron just to make it a roller to get her home

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,836
Was able to get all the UCA bushings pressed out yesterday as well as the lower pivot shaft and rubber. Will be chiseling the inner and outer bushing shells off the shaft and LCA today.

Also made a homemade dust collector for the sand blaster box. Hopefully I can get the blaster fired up soon so I can start getting everything cleaned and ready for the LCA box plates and paint.

Ordered a ball joint socket set from Amazon last night (2 piece larger and small Mopar ball joints) it should arrive tomorrow... All new Moog bushings and bump stops are on their way as well. I have the new hub and rotors, ball joints, taper adapters and caliper brackets sitting in the man cave ready for reassembly...

It looks like you have a good solid shell compared to what we can come up with around the PA area. Good luck with the build. Keep the pics coming.

:burnout:
Shawn

It looks like you have a good solid shell compared to what we can come up with around the PA area. Good luck with the build. Keep the pics coming.

:burnout:
Shawn

Thanks. Yes I was pretty fortunate to find one as clean and solid as it is. Especially since its a low budget garage build, don't know if I'd have the time, patience, skills, and cash to handle something any worse. I know there's some cancer in the right rear lower quarter but I will leave that for a bit later... Don't have the courage to dig into it just yet to see how bad it is..

This sure came in handy today - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGT8Q/?tag=joeychgo-20

Got my UCA's completely disassembled and Ball joints removed today. Also broke apart the hub assemblies from the donor 1977 Aspen wagon for the spindles and caliper brackets. Taking all of this stuff, the K member, LCA's, strut rods, and a few other pieces to the sand blaster this week to get cleaned up. I should get everything back early next week and then it's time to start painting and reassembling the front suspension.

Sweet find, welcome from Pismo Beach. Love ,the budget based builds.

Leave the Leaning Tower of Power in there...I think that would be funny as heck to see you roll in somewhere with those big fat tires out back...then pop the hood!

Paul

There'd be a whole lotta laughing going on alright! LOL! Not sure if I want it at my expense though... Now, if I turbo'd it and Made it a sprayer.... Hmmmm.. Nah, I think I'll stick with the 318 for now.

-
Back