1973 Duster Build

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
Yes, I did. Ok so I got a sad state of a car from a guy selling a 1973 Duster here in NC, no title. So a parts car. He planned to drag race it, but there was this circumstance known as life and responsibility so there I was. The car came with two 1974 440s as well and assorted randomness like slant six Torsion bars, giant rear rallye wheels, a V8 K member, and a good fender, a small block trans. I am sure I am forgetting something. The car surprisingly had a pile of stuff I could use elsewhere. So here is what I did. Sent one of the 440s to the machine shop to get in line with some .030 KB pistons that came in the hoard. I picked out a nice 440 steel crank drilled for a 4 speed on that motor as well. That will help me empty my storage unit of 440 build items I have stashing and when I sell it it will fund this 73.....well not this one, but another one that will come along shortly. The other 440 is supposedly fresh, but I truly don't believe that at all so I will just tear it down another day....

I still think it's funny that primer black remains the cover up choice of paint. One insane thing about this car is that the interior plastic was mint. So I spent the day disassembling the car, pulling the motor, and a pile of other stuff.

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

Hope you didn't pay a lot?

For the parts car I paid $500. I would venture to say someone would charge me that much for the black interior. The doors are solid...lol

For the car that will be built I put down a deposit. Not going to post any pics of it until I am paid in full. Trust me, it is in waaaay nicer shape. Crazy enough, everything it needs is on the parts car.

So now the better half....got my ducks in a row and paid in full to JDMopar for a great base with a clean title. Things I am certain of....this car will be blue with a black interior. The rest is a matter of uncertainty. Parts car gave up a complete black interior and various knick knacks. Car is solid except for pans and a spot in the trunk. Little stuff here and there. Like all these damn machines, wiper pivot seals are shot and I will reset window glass when I get to that point.

Driveline....I have 440 motors coming out my butt, the. There is a 400 left, then a 360 that can be beefed up, a 360 I can put that nasty tunnel ram on and poke it through the hood, and a local Dart Sport hiding in a crusty state with a 340, auto, 8 3/4 rear....

Me thinks something new, something different

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

Yeah. It poured for sure. A little grinder work to get the old paint off is in order. Maybe a soda blast on this one?

Well I got the entire interior plastic cleaned. Blasted and painted the headliner trim in satin black. What's funny is I told the guy doing the interior that I had another car to do if he did good work and was timely. He is officially 6 weeks behind, I don't call that timely so I will find someone else for this one.

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

I forgot to tell you.....unfold the back seat, and there are some interior trim pieces hidden with the folded down seat. I did that at the Mopar Nationals to keep the stuff that was loose from growing legs and walking away....lol.

Lol...treasures inside....spent the day sand blasting and painting. 2 sets of pulleys, a k frame, bunch of brackets. Some days are just that way..

Ok finally finished the interior plastic for the car. Couple hours cleaning. Paint prep then a bit of satin black to brighten it up. Got my parts grill apart. Spent a few hours cleaning it up. 1000 grit wet sand on the bezels, banged out a few dings. Pulled the trim panel and gave it the same treatment. Got my parts grill from the storage to repair the one broken slat. Had time to put a couple coats of chrome on the pieces. A wet sand and another few coats and good to go. Then on to the grill....

IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

Well what the hell, while we are patching metal in the trunk, why don't we just minitub this beast while we're at it.

IMG_2099.JPG

Start one more project and we're going to need to have an intervention my friend....

It’s funny you should say that. My new job has me working a lot. Traveling a bunch too. I have spent at least two weeks away for the last 4 months and I get up at 445 and get home around 530 every day. It means that I am using all my free time to build the cars. I’m going to have to find a new balance. That is either going to come in the form of me paying for more to be done or doing it slower. I literally spent an entire day at the shop before I left on this trip cleaning engine parts, sand blasting, and diddling with that column. I really am not worried on this car because it is dead last in line, however, I am on the clock to have to move in under 2 years and that is about as fast as I could get a car done on my budget.

Well been out of town a few weeks. Nothing done to speak of. Machine shop that had another one of my blocks had it a .030 over with the crank and mains at standard. Ordered a set of KB 107 pistons to get something with a pump gas friendly compression. May put that motor in this car or sell it outright when it is done. I have the 360 for the Dart together and it will get fired soon and installed. I have another 360 block that I could stroke and a pile of B and RB motors for this. Will turn attention to the 72 for a bit first.

The interior plastic parts look great. What did you paint them with? I've got some windlace and also headliner trim to clean up and paint.

Thanks,

Riddler

Rustoleum Satin. They used to have a paint for plastic but I couldn’t find it. I used that on my 74. This stuff says you can use it on any surface. Just got the pistons, rings, and everything else but the carb for the motor.....nothing like a quick grand spent just like that.

Ok. KB107 pistons on the way for a 360 at the machine shop. Motor ended up .030 over standard crank and main. Had this lunati cam on the shelf with matching lifters. Have a set of 1.5 roller rockers and dropped a pile on all new components for motor. I may end up just building the 318 in the car, but in the meantime, this motor is a contender or for sale. 2 intakes to choose from. Edelbrock RPM Air Gap and an offenhauser 360 Power port dual 4bbl set up.....hmmmm

View attachment 1715102901

View attachment 1715102903

View attachment 1715102935

4ADA9F20-7B09-4F2B-940D-0F34DC2B9E88.png

Last edited:
Dropped off everything including the Air Gap intake to the machine shop. Heads are underway and block as close to done.

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

is that casting flash I see around those lifter galleys?......lets get that removed riki-tiki!

details....all about the details.

busting balls is fun too :)

Lol....we will see how things go with selling the 74 and possibly the 72 Duster. Might like to throw a small block HDK set up under this car.

keep me posted....you would qualify for the "return customer discount"

-
Back