1973 Duster Front End Help

-

73moparman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. How are we doing?
This last summer i ordered a bunch of parts from Firm Feel INC for my 1973 Plymouth Duster. I ordered a stage 3 power steering box, a reinforced k frame, tubular upper control arms, heavy duty strut bars, new lower ball joints.
I guess my question is if there is anything else that would improve the handling and cornering of my car tremendously? Or am i pretty set up the way it is? New tie rods? Sway bar kits? I dont know just want peoples opinions. Thanks!

There is probably a lot that can be done. First to figure out is if your car has handling ills due to poor/worn suspension parts or if it just needs handling improvements.

Do you have sloppy steering when going down a straight road or does it wander? (Sounds like an old radio commercial!) Have you done anything with the lower control arm bushings, idler arm, and tie rods?

Can you tell what the car is or is not doing that you don't like, or think is not right? Are the handling ills in regular driving or where/when?

What do you want to do with the car? If road course like handling is the objective, then the things to be looking at are:
- Gas shocks like Bilsteins
- Front AND rear sway bars
- TIRES and lighter wheels
- Stiffer springs/torsion bars IF all the spirited driving that you is on smooth pavement
- Lower ride height; jacked up in the rear is not good for cornering; it puts the center of gravity up and allows the car to roll over a lot and get the weights on the corners way off, particularly under any amount of braking. Jacked up is good for rear weight transfer for drag racing, but not for cornering.

Hey everyone. How are we doing?
This last summer i ordered a bunch of parts from Firm Feel INC for my 1973 Plymouth Duster. I ordered a stage 3 power steering box, a reinforced k frame, tubular upper control arms, heavy duty strut bars, new lower ball joints.
I guess my question is if there is anything else that would improve the handling and cornering of my car tremendously? Or am i pretty set up the way it is? New tie rods? Sway bar kits? I dont know just want peoples opinions. Thanks!

Have you installed frame connectors?

Nothing you have there is really to improve handling. Some of it will improve feel (gear box) and some with improve rigidity (the heavier duty parts). About the only thing you bought that will help in handling, if used properly, are the upper arms.

Heavier springs (torsion bars front, heavier leaf springs rear), better shocks, front sway bar (and possibly a rear bar) with good tires are what you need to improve the handling. Subframe connectors will also help the car be more stable.

-
Back