Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
DD, read your entire build, LOVE the attention to detail but, most of all love the fact that you've stayed with the build. Far too often we see people move on from a build. Currently laid up for a few months, so seeing your build and the fact you took your time with it doesn't get me all depressed seeing my parts showing up to the house knowing they are going to collect dust for awhile. Keep it coming DD
Thanks for the kind words OC. I just kept planning and plotting even when life's zigs and zags kept me from working on the car. Get back at it soon dude!

My gorgeous wife is now back home and has been updated on my garage pyrotechnic highjinks...:rolleyes:
IMG_6694.PNG

Most of my mechanic tools fit in a 8x8x14 plastic tool box!
I am a disgrace to FABO

LOL I borrowed mine from my dad.

Just forgot to return it, but I did have to steal it back one time, he was messing with the timing and I found it on the dash of his power wagon a few years ago.

I have it now, I might loan it to him.

So I am wondering, do I want to install my own windshield after I purchase a brand-new AMD gasket?

Not sure about where you live, but around here, windshield guys work cheap, and they come to your garage to do it!

Cley

Not sure about where you live, but around here, windshield guys work cheap, and they come to your garage to do it!

Cley

I called a few and you would think I was asking them to reinvent the wheel or split the atom....

Really? For 300 bucks, I had a guy come to my garage, Install both front and back window and he supplied the new front glass! I had purchased the rubbers though.

Cley

So I am wondering, do I want to install my own windshield after I purchase a brand-new AMD gasket?
While not a job for the faint of heart, it's not rocket science either. Just need to follow some steps...and yes there is the risk of breaking it. AMD gasket or glass? Do you have both new? Is this just front?

Really? For 300 bucks, I had a guy come to my garage, Install both front and back window and he supplied the new front glass! I had purchased the rubbers though.

Cley
That ain't happening around here. LOL

While not a job for the faint of heart, it's not rocket science either. Just need to follow some steps...and yes there is the risk of breaking it. AMD gasket or glass? Do you have both new? Is this just front?

It's an original piece of glass from a 74 Dart Sport, I don't have the gasket yet.

I know that a lot of guys install them themselves. It sounded easy to me so I tried to do the one in my '72 Duster. I figured that if I was careful I could surely do it.

Now if you discount the possibility that I'm a failure prone imbecile you'd think I'd have a reasonable chance of success. I used the original rubber seal that I thoroughly cleaned inside and out - making sure there weren't any tiny glass shards inside the rubber channel. I set the seal out on the driveway on a hot sunny day to make it as pliable as possible. Everything seemed good so far.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone to give me a hand so wrestling the windshield in by myself was probably my first mistake (and hint that I may really be an imbecile). I really struggled with getting the glass to slide into the channel despite liberal lubrication with dish washing detergent. It took a long time but eventually I got it. - It looked almost perfect except for the lower left corner. It wasn't laying flat like the rest of it. I kept slapping it with a pulling motion and kept gaining ground. When I was just about ready to consider it good enough, - it cracked! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Good luck on the install DD, but I'm gonna farm that job out next time myself.

I put a bunch of windshields in, the best hope for success is have a helper, handling one by yourself is a recipe for disaster.
FYI my local shop just quoted me $160 for new glass in my duster, they do the install.
Guess what they will have the job when I am ready.

I put a bunch of windshields in, the best hope for success is have a helper, handling one by yourself is a recipe for disaster.
FYI my local shop just quoted me $160 for new glass in my duster, they do the install.
Guess what they will have the job when I am ready.
It would be great if you could ask your glass guy if he has a contact here in NJ

This guy helped me install my front and rear window glass... maybe you could hire him :p
Tools:
  • Flat plastic Pry bar
  • 1/4" rope about 6' long
  • Soapy water

That rope makes all of the difference!! You can see my helper sitting in the driver seat ready for burnouts! lol

13177576_998821686866872_8875782758440923819_n-jpg.jpg

Back to the windshield. I have new trim clips to install. What side do the taller one go on?

I called Dante's Mopar Parts (where the clips came from) and he told me the tall clips go in the middle on the bottom as I suspected. One in the center and 2 on each side of that...

Last edited:
Looks like we're at the same spot. I need to put my glass in. Wondered about the clips also. I didnt take glass out so I had no clue. Ordered a new windshield, came the other day.

Looks like we're at the same spot. I need to put my glass in. Wondered about the clips also. I didnt take glass out so I had no clue. Ordered a new windshield, came the other day.

Mine is an OEM piece I bought for $40 from a fellow member. It's not perfect but neither is the rest of the car. I hope it goes in OK.

Your car looks great. It looks so much more together than mine. I jump around too much.

-
Back