Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
So I'm wondering what is supposed to be the finish material for the package tray?
Please don't tell me shag carpet, been there, done that!
I think mine was just painted, but it was damaged. I repaired it and covered it with vinyl. That faded pretty quick, so I painted with SEM same color as my dash.

D/D it's painted particle board material. They are pretty cheap to buy, or at least they were last time I bought one.

So I'm looking at all these responses, and I'm thinking Ill pass on the hardboard. I'm not gonna put shag carpet up there but I'm going to put some kind of commercial soft good up there that will look good with the 6 x 9 speakers mounted through it and will also absorb some of the sound that rattles around in the car

Last edited:
D/D you can put carpet padding down and cut a piece of real thin plywood. They came insulation under the particle board for the speakers. You can put a nice set of 6x9's in there

I would just get the aftermarket replacement from classic industries unless you can get some thick (1/4) plastic or plywood and shape it. Problem with wood or plastic in that area is the heat warps it. Cardboard seems to be a bit more forgiving. It warps too, but can get back into its old shape. Once the others warp from heat, they keep the form. I bought one and covered it.

I have my 6 x 9's mounted to the underside of the package tray.
Using the classic industries replacement with speaker cut outs.
It hides the speakers for a factory look.

I think I'll make mine @Alex5280 sent me a pattern a while back. I'm going to mount the speakers in from the top since the grill work on the store bought pieces really looks inadequate to let all the sound pass thru. Plus I'm tacky:thumbsup:

Have the old girl loaded up to take her in for her exhaust tomorrow. Got the uhaul auto transport for next to nothing because they wanted me to drop it off at a different location than where I picked it up. They are happy I can help move their inventory around to where they need it
IMG_6872.JPG

Last edited:
Be careful with those surge brakes on those u-haul trailers.

Exhaust is on and holy moley the car sounds amazing! Love, love, the Thrush welded mufflers!!
IMG_6877.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! I met a guy here local that claims he is from the Thrush family. He is in my car club, but never comes to the meetings. He offered to show me piles of cars hidden in NC....Bet it sounds good

What do you have left to do?
:mob:
The list is endless....
Suspension, what I have ain't gunna fall out but it needs work.
Interior
Weather strip
Tires
And a billion tweeks.

And I need to finish my home renovation...

Last edited:
Is that tire on the leaf spring? Car sounds great!
No it clears by 1/2 when properly inflated. It's as old as the hills too

The new Cooper Cobra won't bulge as much either. I know 2 guys running cops wheels on the back and they use a 1/2 spacer with the 255/60/15 but I think I'm good with with it

I run cop wheels on all my cars. I have a ton of room on the Demon but am putting the steelies on to get it going. I have them, they are mint, they can bolt right on. Now to just adjust ride height.

Since this car was not designed to have a 2-1/2" exhaust pipe pass down the drivers side and under the gear shift linkage, I need to modify the linkage a bit.
There is an adjuster knuckle that hits the exhaust down pipe as it is currently. That adjuster is a pretty clever design with a block with a stud coming out of it and then a u shaped bracket that slides over it. The arm up to the column lever passes thru this little assembly. All I'll need to do is rotate the u shaped bracket 90* and the knuckle will still pinch down on the shaft and the bolt head will no longer hit the exhaust pipe. Film at 11

I have the car up in the air enough to do whatever I need to do now.
IMG_6970.JPG

I cleaned and retapped The rear wiring harness, put it in the car and tested the new fuel gauge sender. All good just need to make a ground strap to the fuel sender plate. Used an alligator clip for test. Also tested tail lights. The brake light switch is not together at the moment.
Also bolted up the parking brake handle and tested. Works well.
When moving the car off the trailer last weekend at AlV's house it seamed as if the right rear brake was hanging up. Not so now with the rear wheels off the ground. Both spin freely. Tomorrow I'll see if it's still free white the engine on and making vacuum. The thought crossed my mind the booster may be slightly applying the brakes.
For the like of me I can't figure this out.
IMG_6966.JPG

Like Duh!! How the hell does the fuse box get mounted and to where? Another member sent me this picture, but I gut don't comprehend what I'm
Looking at. Do the fuse openings face the floor? If so what does the fuse box attach to?:BangHead:
Next on the list is to install the Lokar kick down cable and revisit the shift linkage so it does not hit the driver side exhaust down pipe.

You are looking at the bottom of the dash(top) and to the left is the driver's kick panel area. I do believe you can fit it behind the dash in the exact opposite orientation. Face the firewall.

There's a tab on the bottom backside of the dash that sticks up, it fits into the slot on the fuse box.

-
Back