$20,000 '64 Barracuda

-
Cheesy positive battery cable, cheap red heater hose, spent $30k restoring it?

It has the flux capacitor in it. With James Bond gun turrets and ejection seat. And the batmobile phone.

I don't care why he paid it for that, but it makes me happy about the increasing value of mine and that the sweat equity added will pay off down the road someday!

It was painted? Area around fender tag looks awfull rough. Interior dash weathered, steering wheel cracked. Hope this guy loves the car.

oof, the original plated plastic dash is still......very original....Im richer than I thought!

I wouldn't use this sale as an example of a value increase in our early A-bodies.
Use this example.
My former 64 273, 4speed cuda just sold on Ebag Friday for $12,900

IMG_0495.JPG

I looked at those pictures. I can't imagine that was a Mopar enthusiast with any real experience. It's very "not done" to get anywhere near that price from anyone that knows what they're looking at. Cool car - but wow.

Anybody want to buy my 66 Dart for $15,000? One of 1237!

If you can do your own mechanical and engine work you may scoff - but by the time I got (almost) done with tranny rebuild, engine rebuild, starter, alternator, complete brake rebuild including double-pot master cylinder and steel lines, floor pans, wheels, tires, windshield, seals, all new AutoMeter gauges, speedo, tach, customs duties and shipping I'd be way underwater at $20K US - build it and love it - and thanks to all on For A-bodies Only who helped keep the cost down!

I hope when I die that my wife doesn't sell my Fish for what I told her I had in it! ;)

A person looking to buy a gold, 273, 4 speed 1965 Barracuda is unlikely to find another one in this condition for the money paid. Twenty thousand dollars ($20,000) doesn't buy as much restoration as it once did. Believe me, after restoring the running gear, paint and interior in a 65 and 66 Barracuda, I know. I did 100% of the disassembly and assembly of the body for painting (still $4500 in paint cost on rust free cars) including the engine.
The only outsourcing was engine machine work, application of the paint and installation of the seat covers.
In this Barracuda case, the seller didn't get his cost covered from the sale price (common knowledge) but did relatively good. The new buyer couldn't reproduce the work done for the money spent.

I think both buyer and seller are happy.

"pbiggs" states it very well....Back in 2005 when I did a semi-resto (about 75% of the car) on my '66 Barracuda Formula S I spent around 10K. I shopped around and knew people in the paint and mechanical specialties and got the best deals I could at he time.
Chrome alone was a 6K estimate from a very reputable re-chroming shop. I had to leave out certain parts and renegotiate the price and got down to the 3.5K. Chrome still looks new!
Another 3K in the motor & 3.5K in paint on a rust free car that only had a 6"x4" dent in the lower quarter. If your good with your hands and can do the work to a high level, great! If not, your only option is to "pay up" and "stimulate the economy".
The value of these cars will be slow in rising value and will not keep up with the rising "shop" costs when its time to restore one. Its like getting a 1% raise at work but the cost of living / inflation rate is 3%.

-
Back