$20,000 '64 Barracuda

-
I'm sure most of you are not aware of this, but a pink Plymouth Duster just sold at auction for 46,000.00. Probably the highest ever for a s/b. Others are selling higher too. Saw another s/b recently sell at auction for much higher than normal. It was a 1972 340 and the average selling price is 19,800 and it sold for 26,400. #2- condition.

What many posting here fail to recognize is that it doesn't matter how much you invested in your vehicle when considering value; it is irrelevant.

What many posting here fail to recognize is that it doesn't matter how much you invested in your vehicle when considering value; it is irrelevant.
Yes, it's only worth what a buyer will pay. If the guy wants to get $20,000 out of it go for it. It may be on the market for months or longer before that unsuspecting buyer with deep pockets will pull the trigger..

I think the point here is that people are willing to pay quite a bit more for an A Body now than 4-5 years ago. Low budget deals are becoming hard to come by.

I remember this brazilian Charger R/T with 318 c.i.
It topped 75.000.- I believe...

s-l1600-1-640x480.jpg

Considering paint costs, interior costs, etc., if you don't have the skills and time to do all the work, buying a done car is the way to go. I just bought/stole a car that the seller spent 6 years and close to 20k on, and it still needs little finishing touches. He was happy to see it go, but his wife was crying in the driveway as I drove off.

I was wondering what you guys would think about this.
My thoughts:
• The seller is still way way underwater even at $20,000. The receipts show 10 grand more just in paint and body work.
The lesson is that you will NEVER get your money out of an A-body; do it because you love it and enjoy it the whole time. Also you are better off buying the best one you can afford. The buyer basically paid for all the work & got the car for free.
• for a nice looking driving vintage car with a four speed $20 thousand isn't much when compared to the alternatives. When compared to other similar cars from the same period the early As are typically much less than a Falcon, Chevy II and even Studebakers. Would you rather drive a used minivan or the Barracuda we are commenting on?

My issue with the whole transaction is $20,000.00 and they did a "down to steel" paint job?
Plus rust work and restoration (yea right!) they claim $30k into it, but as a business model you dont stay in business long if you loose $10g's on one car.
Gloss black valve covers, dash worn, under hood looks like a 17 year old got ahold of a few cans of rustoleum.
OKAY! sorry. I cannot use that car as an evaluation "A-bodies are increasing in value", they are, but not because people have to have them,
these early A's are increasing because this is whats left for inexpensive cars to get into the hobby. I've yet to see anyone pick an early Barracuda over a 340 4 speed Duster or a HEMI Cuda.

I've had my 66' Barracuda since Sept 1989. I've only put 3 k on the clock since then. Now its getting a full restoration on the rotisserie but not because it will be worth more when it is done,
but because the wife likes it and told me not to sell it. "its too cool to sell her, she's family." okay now, I'm into the car for over $20k and still climbing all because
my "woman" likes it and i like my "woman." Funny how a beautiful female can make you move mountains. (substitute "female" with your preferred gender or animal.... what ever applies.)
THAT'S where the value is! The kids love it, the wife loves it and I've slowly grown to love it. She's right... its family.
You take care of family. Okay off soap box. :)

Last edited:
Couldn't build one that nice for 20k....

Jeff
No offense intended, but did you mean, "Couldn't build it for that", which many of us could, or "Couldn't pay to have it built for that price"?

No offense intended, but did you mean, "Couldn't build it for that", which many of us could, or "Couldn't pay to have it built for that price"?
I think just the cost of parts would exceed 20K....just the interior is probably over 3 - 4K....

Jeff

I think just the cost of parts would exceed 20K....just the interior is probably over 3 - 4K....

Jeff
If many of you out here are paying retail for parts, no wonder so many think this is a good deal. I guess I'm the one out of touch.

O.K. , I'll bite... where do you get your parts from?
The internet is a wonderful thing; I don't limit myself just to vendors that sell only at retail prices. Searchtempest, Craigslist, eBay, FABO and other Mopar related sites classified sections often have people selling new parts they bought for an unfinished project, for about half of retail price.

On top of all those, I cruise swap meets as well. I personally don't care who provides me the part, as long as the price and quality meets my needs. I do sacrifice time on numerous occasions for savings though.

The internet is a wonderful thing; I don't limit myself just to vendors that sell only at retail prices. Searchtempest, Craigslist, eBay, FABO and other Mopar related sites classified sections often have people selling new parts they bought for an unfinished project, for about half of retail price.

On top of all those, I cruise swap meets as well. I personally don't care who provides me the part, as long as the price and quality meets my needs. I do sacrifice time on numerous occasions for savings though.

Agree. The internet is a wonderful thing.
Allows a poor little 64 cuda to sell for 20 large and give folks a yea man that is an awesome deal or a serious panty wedgy.

Agree. The internet is a wonderful thing.
Allows a poor little 64 cuda to sell for 20 large and give folks a yea man that is an awesome deal or a serious panty wedgy.
Ha, I guess I'm supposed to be offended at your jab; I'm not, but good try.

If people want to continue to pay too much for something, I say great. I just hope they are around when my stuff is up for sale. My widow may need the money.

Last edited:
Ha, I guess I'm supposed to be offended at your jab; I'm not, but good try.

If people want to continue to pay too much for something, I say great. I just hope they are around when my stuff is up for sale. My widow may need the money.

So I'm guessing panty wedgy for you.

well no plains on selling mine 64 4spd barracuda , still sitting in its factory black n red interior . in need of a resto or just a power train redo . and i did by it from the original owner here in mountain view , california .
Scan0013_0013.jpg
Scan0019_0019.jpg

Guys cry it aint worth anything when they buy but tell a different tale when they sell. I dont see anyone here offering the same car up for 8 grand but would sure as hell jump to buy for that.

- i know how to bid when i am stoned. just got to let the hands go

Wow, I kind of like it. if this was real estate it would rise the comp prices

And the 185/80/13 tires are awesome. The fronts pretty much match my 215/45/17 - well in height.

-
Back