273 adj rocker stud and lock nut?? Where?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
i have a set of 273 that I want to upgrade the lock stud. Many years ago I bought the upgrade that uses the lock nuts after one kept backing off. I just don't recall where I bought them. It was ore internet day. I googled and didn't find anybody. Thanks.

Sweet. That maybe them. I guess I ordered them from Mopar Performance but this was in the 90's. Imagine that. Ordering from a paper catalog. Thanks for the link.

I had to do this with some 273 rockers - be sure that when you tighten that lock nut on the surface of the rocker that it has been machined true and level. You'll have to take the rockers to a machinist and have them machine down the casting surface into a level surface perpendicular to the adjuster. Some of those 273 rockers with the interference fit adjusters do not have this area machined and it's just bare casting.

Good idea. I'll check mine. The ones I did in the 90's were machined already.

I had to do this with some 273 rockers - be sure that when you tighten that lock nut on the surface of the rocker that it has been machined true and level. You'll have to take the rockers to a machinist and have them machine down the casting surface into a level surface perpendicular to the adjuster. Some of those 273 rockers with the interference fit adjusters do not have this area machined and it's just bare casting.

If you are careful you can make them flat enough with a file.

If you are careful you can make them flat enough with a file.

You can and with enough patience you will likely succeed. Whether this is worth it to you is the question. 273 rockers are great.

You can and with enough patience you will likely succeed. Whether this is worth it to you is the question. 273 rockers are great.

You can do it with a small belt sander if you want to go faster. But the speed you gain to finish the job, you can lose in screwing it up! It works both ways.

Belt sander is a good idea, especially if you use it like a surfacer. I did the file thing and it worked but man, it was a ***** to get perfectly perpendicular. I ended up with some good ones and some had a little bit of light showing through the bottom edge of that nut. I thought about it and I don't think I'd trust it at 6000rpm. I had a buddy machine them for a 12 pack of monster lol took em less than an hour.

I'm waiting to get engine back from the machine shop any day now. I'm curious as to what pushrod I will need for Johnson Hydraulic lifters and my 360... stay tuned I guess.

I'm waiting to get engine back from the machine shop any day now. I'm curious as to what pushrod I will need for Johnson Hydraulic lifters and my 360... stay tuned I guess.

If the Johnson lifters are the same as the stock ones, then it's also determined on what adjustment screws/studs-nuts are used. I like the crane adjustable studs and nuts...

Anyone make a jig for using a belt or disc sander to flatten the adjuster surface? Thought about rigging something up with my drill press vise.

-
Back