275's on a dart sport

-

Sweet416

Reaction score
15x8 with 4.5 back spacing. Current tire size is 255/60. Anyone running 275/60/15 nitto 555
Super stock springs with an inch between current tires and spring. Looking for similar combos.

Tire may get awful close. You may need some sort of spacer or go with 4.125 backspace custom 15x8 rallyes. Summit can order these for like $20 bucks more a wheel from wheel vintiques. This backspace will give needed clearance to springs.

8 3/4" rear axle? BBP with drums?

You shouldn't have any spring clearance issues at all with 275/60/15's and 15x8's with a 4.5" backspace. You will get a little close on the quarter lip, but that will depend on how low your car is. If that's the car in your avatar, it shouldn't be a problem. If you lowered it you might need to do a little work on the quarter lip, but 275's fit pretty easily on Dart Sports/Dusters/Demons.

And 2nd gen Barracudas

What's your quarter lip to inner wheel tub measurement AJ? I seem to recall it being pretty much the same as my Duster. I had 13" from quarter lip to the inner wheel tub before I trimmed the quarter lip back, I'm at just under 13.5" now. With a 1/2" spring offset my 295's clear, but I can't go any wider at my current ride height because of that "bump" on the outer wheel tub that protrudes inward. One of these days I'll reshape the outer wheel tub and solve that issue so I can lower some more.

I made 325s on 10s fit by pounding the living daylights out of the inner tubs where-ever they rubbed, during cornering.When they finally rubbed equally everywhere, I spaced them out an extra 1/8th and called it done. Then I lowered the car till it rubbed on those aforementioned bumps on the outer skins. Then I started pounding those. But I quickly learned, that you can't really pound those without it telegraphing it to the painted qtr skin. So I jacked it back up an inch, and installed some HD shocks. Shazzam !,it was done. I can drive pretty hard now, cuz when they rub it is always on the inner, and I have pounded that smooth. But I can't put big power on in the turns.It's ok for the street.Well after making those 325s fit, 295s on 10s, just fell in there.
To answer your question, IDK the measurement.
Wait, I found some old notes, from Dec 98; it looks like 13.25, from the inner to the backside of the painted quarter,Not the lip, but below the offending bulge. I folded the lip up as tight as I could to the back of the qtr.

Last edited:
Interesting! So 13.25" is with the lip folded over? I can probably pick up another 3/8" when I roll the quarter lips. I cut about a 1/2" off them, basically I cut them back to the spot welds between the quarter lip and the wheel tub. When I section out the "bump" I'll roll them flat, which should put me near or maybe even past 13.75" to the inner tub.

With my 295's I initially had some rubbing on the inner wheel tub going over large speed bumps or dips, basically if I cross-axle'd the rear suspension the top inside corner of the tire would rub the inside of the well. Once I added the big old E-body Hellwig sway bar that stopped. I have a small spot on the edge of the "bump" on the outer wheel tub that's missing it's undercoating, same deal, basically it just touches if I've got the trunk loaded up and encounter a speed bump. Empty I can do whatever I want they don't touch. But once I install the tubular QA1 LCA's up front I want to lower it another 1/4" in the front and another 1/2" in the back, so I'll have to get rid of that bump.

No 13.25 is inner to outer. I edited the post to clarify this.
The folded lip would technically be subtracted from the gross, but my 50 series sidewall bulges don't get up that high. And while the 325 treads are inside the wells, actually, the sidewall bulges are not.IIRC the 325s are 13.25wide on the largest part of the bulge, and the tubs are also 13.25. So, having clearanced the inside to 3/8 inch,the sidewalls are that same 3/8 inch outside the body. But those bulges were initially 5 inches below the lips so it was not an issue. Since the sidewall is 6.4 inches high, the tread was up inside the tub by 1.4 inches. It has since been lowered quite a bit, cuz I don't run those anymore. On the street those 325s had no more take-off power than the 295s, and the 295BFGs cost a fraction of 325DRs, so I am "saving them" for if I ever want to track it again.
At one time I was running the K at 5.5inches off the deck, and a 1/2 inch rake on the rockers. But that did not sit well with city driving, even with 1.03s and the 1.125 bar and HD shocks. So I jacked it up incrementally until I stopped whacking the skid plate I fabricated to protect my oilpan. IIRC it ended up at a tic under 6, and the rockers are now level.And I can now get air over speed bumps.heehee. Yeah, I'm a Dukes of Hazzard kindof guy.

Last edited:
I thought that's what you meant but I wanted to be sure, thanks for all the info it definitely helps me get a better picture of the rear wheelhouses on the Barracuda's. I have a pretty good idea what will fit on the Dart and Duster bodies obviously, but not having a Barracuda that's the one 67+ A-body I don't really have any measurements for.

Right now the bottom of the skid plate on my K member is 5.5" off the ground on the Duster, which puts my Doug's header flanges at 4". I ran my Challenger as low as 3.5" to the header flanges for awhile, although I've raised it back up to about 4" just because speed bumps were kind of a pain. I'd like to get the Duster down to 5.25" to the K and 3.75 to the flanges in the front, I may change over to the TTI shorty headers to pick up some more clearance to the flanges and run the Doug's on my GT. But I'll have to roll the fender lips in the front and the quarters in the back, plus removing the bump from the wheel tub before I can go any lower.

8 3/4" rear axle? BBP with drums?

You shouldn't have any spring clearance issues at all with 275/60/15's and 15x8's with a 4.5" backspace. You will get a little close on the quarter lip, but that will depend on how low your car is. If that's the car in your avatar, it shouldn't be a problem. If you lowered it you might need to do a little work on the quarter lip, but 275's fit pretty easily on Dart Sports/Dusters/Demons.

Thanks!! I have not a clue what I'm doing on this forum. I'm learning. Haha. Lovin it so far.

The summer I ran some sticky 245/50-15s on the front is the summer I ran at 5.5. Man that was a fun summer! But expensive too.I put new 295s on the back at the same time. Those sticky fronts needed a new alignment, and I had a hard time finding a sweetspot that wouldn't burn them up or that they wouldn't follow every little irregularity on the road. I would tell you I had it on the rack 29 times but you might think me crazy.I did eventually find it, but not long after that, the tires were done. I don't think they made 2 months. The concrete roads were very hard on them,lol,but they sure were fun.
I was working at a tire shop doing alignments, so had free access to the rack, and got my tires at cost. That was a busy summer as to working on the S. And expensive;3 sets of new tires.The new 295s, and the sticky 245s and then regular 235s.Plus the custom 8"rims for the 245s.......Good thing the kids were all grow'd up and gone.lol.
Yeah, that was a fun summer

Thanks!! I have not a clue what I'm doing on this forum. I'm learning. Haha. Lovin it so far.

Hey everyone has to start somewhere. 8 years ago I knew very little specifically about Mopar musclecars (although I have a background in automotive restoration). At this point 8 years ago I didn't even own an A-body, just my Challenger. Now I have my Challenger, my Duster/Demon tribute, two '71 Dart GT's and a '71 Satellite Sebring Plus. My Duster has changed from a /6 auto 7.25" rear end car to a 318-auto car to it's current 340 4 speed 8 3/4 with a total body work swap to look like a '71 Demon, and with any luck I'll get the T56 in my garage installed in the near future. Nothing in the driveline or suspension that was originally on the car is on it now, and actually most of the mechanicals have been swapped at least twice searching for the proper handling set up. It will be round three for the suspension when I go to the SPC UCA's and QA1 LCA's, and the T56 will be the 4th transmission (904, 833, 833 #2, T56). And I have over 70k miles logged between my Challenger and my Duster, although the lion's share of that is on the Challenger (~60k).

The summer I ran some sticky 245/50-15s on the front is the summer I ran at 5.5. Man that was a fun summer! But expensive too.I put new 295s on the back at the same time. Those sticky fronts needed a new alignment, and I had a hard time finding a sweetspot that wouldn't burn them up or that they wouldn't follow every little irregularity on the road. I would tell you I had it on the rack 29 times but you might think me crazy.I did eventually find it, but not long after that, the tires were done. I don't think they made 2 months. The concrete roads were very hard on them,lol,but they sure were fun.
I was working at a tire shop doing alignments, so had free access to the rack, and got my tires at cost. That was a busy summer as to working on the S. And expensive;3 sets of new tires.The new 295s, and the sticky 245s and then regular 235s.Plus the custom 8"rims for the 245s.......Good thing the kids were all grow'd up and gone.lol.
Yeah, that was a fun summer

Haha, sounds like fun. I finally have everything I need to do my own alignments, turn tables and slip plates, caster/camber gauge, toe plates, etc. Should let me keep things nice and dialed in. Eventually I'd like to have two different settings detailed, one for street and one for autoX that I can switch back and forth from by just counting turns on all of the adjusters (UCA's, torsion bars, tie rods etc).

Yep. They fit like a glove. The ol 416 still spins them. But it don't redline out of the hole like it did. I went out and found some fresh new pavement after work. So They do hook better than the old cooper radials. Lol. And I didn't break anything.

image.jpeg

:thumbsup:That is some good looking rubber!
Can anyone guess what next weak link will be? Now that i have traction. I'm not worried about trans. Possibly the 741 case or u-joints? Going to the drag strip next month. Thoughts?

Can anyone guess what next weak link will be? Now that i have traction. I'm not worried about trans. Possibly the 741 case or u-joints? Going to the drag strip next month. Thoughts?
741 case Just had a friend twist one on the strip.

-
Back