340 Lost in Roanoke, VA

-

Paintguy

Dodge GTS
Reaction score
Looking to find the engine/ trans out of my 69 Hemi Orange GTS convertible. Here is what I haved pieced together from the previous owners. The car was bought new in Roanoke and had a few owners through the 70's. Sometime in the late 70's or mid 80's, someone pulled out the very low mileage 340 and trans and put in a tired 1971 340 and trans. The car was then taken to the Carlisle, PA Mopar show and sold. The vin # is LS27P9B##5911. Guess all I can do is see what happens.

good luck with your needle in a haystack search.i sure hope you find it.my guess is someone wrecked the motor and found a replacement.gts vert,sweet

Can you check your VIN? There should not be any #s in it.

got a 340 march 69 build date haven't realy found vin on it can you see it with engine in car from Floyd co adjoins roanoke

got a 340 march 69 build date haven't realy found vin on it can you see it with engine in car from Floyd co adjoins roanoke
Hi its on the passenger side about mid block where the block joins the oil pan.

image.jpeg

OK, but........

If someone finds the block & Googles the full VIN to see if the car is mentioned on the web anywhere, they will not ever find you with the ## part.

-
I would never give anyone a full vin there is always the possibility the car was stolen in the past.

Well if the car WAS stolen, the legal owner does deserve to have his car back.

If your car was stolen, would you want it back?

Well if the car WAS stolen, the legal owner does deserve to have his car back.

If your car was stolen, would you want it back?
yes I'm sure everyone on here would be happy to return a car stolen 40 years ago to its rightful owner

Lol I know the car isn't stolen but I still don't feel comfortable about putting it out there. I have most of the documentation even the build sheet. Even have a letter in there from Galen Govier stating how rare this particular GTS convertible is but thats another story. I think I will keep the vin number as posted. If a 340 block shows up with a vin stamped LS27P9B ending with 911, I think we would be onto something due to the number of GTS convertibles produced.

Lol I know the car isn't stolen but I still don't feel comfortable about putting it out there. I have most of the documentation even the build sheet. Even have a letter in there from Galen Govier stating how rare this particular GTS convertible is but thats another story. I think I will keep the vin number as posted. If a 340 block shows up with a vin stamped LS27P9B ending with 911, I think we would be onto something due to the number of GTS convertibles produced.
how many similar cars in gts registry

In the GTS registry there are about 600 cars over the three year period but that includes hardtops also. There are only 3 hemi orange GTS cars listed in the registry. Could be because it was a 1969 spring color or not a popular choice. There were only 214 convertibles built with the 340/auto. Mine is unique due to the fact it was classified as a "special handling" which meant it was a Dodge Corporation spec car so it got most of the newest options and color.This is supposed to be very rare for an A body car. It was then followed down the assembly line to ensure it had the best of the best such as fit and alignment, paint, options etc. Galen Govier lists it as either being the very first GTS to be painted in Hemi Orange or within the first 5 for sure. Be nice to have the engine back in it.

Search engines are powerful tools.

But once again, if anyone has the block & searches for the full VIN - they will not find you with this;

Google.JPG

-
Back