340 Six Pack In Fla

-

ramhemi

Reaction score
I just move my 1970 Dart 340 Six Pack to South Florida. I had some issues with cooling when it was in Ohio now in traffic it is running about 220. I would like it cooler. I am using a stuff radiator and Mopar Performance fan drive. What is the best, affordable after market radiator/cooling module?

Do you have a good fan shroud??? Fan should be half in and half out of the shroud in the fore/aft direction...

I tried a shroud in Ohio. It wold randomly warp and contact the fan. It had little affect of cooling.

Shrouds are important to direct the air THROUGH the radiator and not AROUND it...

You should find one that won't warp and hit the fan, otherwise you are not using the full capability of your radiator...

OEM have shrouds and seals to keep the air going through the radiator and condenser and not around it, it is important for proper engine cooling...

You could move to a cooler climate. Lol:poke:
Shrouds are important to direct the air THROUGH the radiator and not AROUND it...

You should find one that won't warp and hit the fan, otherwise you are not using the full capability of your radiator...

OEM have shrouds and seals to keep the air going through the radiator and condenser and not around it, it is important for proper engine cooling...

I am having my shroud mailed down here. I'll make it fit correctly. Then see how it works.

I am having my shroud mailed down here. I'll make it fit correctly. Then see how it works.

Ok, while fitting it remember there is a thing they call FOOS (Fan Out Of Shroud), it is how much of the depth of the blades are inside the shroud, and how much are out the back of the shroud... You want to start at half and half so the fan can pull the air out of the shroud (and through the radiator)... Half the fan depth inside the shroud, and half outside...

Is your engine getting hot just idling... stop and go traffic or getting that hot going down the interstate(air flowing in)?

With stock type rad my 30 over 360 temp would steadily climb going down the interstate. It would get around 215 and I would pull off the interstate and let the engine cool down. I'm sure it would have gotten hotter if I would have let it. I bought a aftermarket shroud, installed it, no difference. The stock rad wasn't working.

Talking about the shroud for a minute... aftermarket shrouds will warp every time. Mine warped so I found a NOS shroud in which is made out of better polymers and will not warp.

I went with a Griffin aluminum two core radiator. The cores are like 1.25" wide. This made a world of difference and answered all the cooling problems. It will stay at 185-190 all the time... idling all day, or traveling down the interstate. I've haven't seen it over 200 even after giving the engine the beans. lol
I have not even mounted the shroud yet... don't even think I will worry about it. I will more than likely get around to doing it but it's really not needed.
To me the shroud had no effect on cooling anyways.

Just recently installed a clutch type fan in order to save some horsepower. Had a mechanical fan up to this point. The fan has some bosses that will have to be trimmed down in order to fit onto the clutch... no problem really.

FAN
CLUTCH

This FlowKooler Hi flow pump might help... don't know. I've got this pump saved in my wish list on Summit Racing. If my water pump goes south might try this one.
Here's some good reading. HOW IT WORKS

I forgot to ask. What is "stuff radiator" and "MP fan drive"?
GRIFFIN

Last edited:
I just move my 1970 Dart 340 Six Pack to South Florida. I had some issues with cooling when it was in Ohio now in traffic it is running about 220. I would like it cooler. I am using a stuff radiator and Mopar Performance fan drive. What is the best, affordable after market radiator/cooling module?
I'm in Miami. I barely take my car out in the summer. Too damn hot without AC. Mine would climb up to 220 often also. Recently I upgraded to a high volume water pump. That combined with my 3core Champion rad and an electric fan from a Chevy HHR and now I can keep it around 190 ocassionally hitting 200.

-
Back