383/438 Build

-
Finally got the bulk of the parts in. Had a hard time getting a hold of Modern Cylinder head when it was finally time to secure order. So went ahead an ordered from 440 Source. They went ahead and did the spring and retainer work in house so that the heads showed up ready for the cam. Gave everything a test fit so we could see it what it will look like!! I am so pumped.

One issue though, the intake manifold gaskets that came with the heads, and also the gaskets available at the local parts house have smaller ports that the heads do. They are slightly narrower, and noticeably shorter. Cam is installed. Was going to use roller bearing thrust bushing, but decided to wait for a nylon bushing.

Does anyone know what intake gaskets I need?

20171117_190917.jpg

20171117_200652.jpg

20171119_121655.jpg

20171119_121917.jpg

20171119_122127.jpg

20171119_122358.jpg

20171119_124245.jpg

20171119_153553.jpg

Are you going to use the one piece metal gasket and valley pan as the factory used, or are you going to a solid valley cover and separate intake paper or composite gaskets? Those don't look like they were enlarged to max wedge size, so I say you just need to trim the gaskets open to fit. I have no experience with the actual stealth heads, but it's common to adjust gasket openings after heads have been opened up.

Are you going to use the one piece metal gasket and valley pan as the factory used, or are you going to a solid valley cover and separate intake paper or composite gaskets? Those don't look like they were enlarged to max wedge size, so I say you just need to trim the gaskets open to fit. I have no experience with the actual stealth heads, but it's common to adjust gasket openings after heads have been opened up.

I did not end up getting the max wedge ports. I have a separate valley pan that I got from 440 Source. I measured the ports and they are all 1.27"x2.32". There are no gaskets with those dimensions specifically so I was starting to wonder if I was just going to have to break down and cut on a set of gaskets. Not a real big deal to me, but was making sure I wasn't wasting time if a direct set was available.

I think you will find you can gasket match the intake port with the felpro paper gasket.
I gasket matched the port on my stealths on my 383.

I think you will find you can gasket match the intake port with the felpro paper gasket.
I gasket matched the port on my stealths on my 383.

I was actually thinking of this. It does not bother me that the gasket it slightly smaller than the port on the head. I was considering even, leaving the gasket along, and making the port on the intake manifold match the gasket exactly. I would rather the intake manifold port be smaller than the cylinder head port than vice versa.

what head do you have. why is the gasket smaller than the port if no port work was done.

Coming up woth 8" for pushrod length. Anyone else here with a low deck motor, using hyd rollers and comp rocker arms to verify?

Went ahead and installed the valley pan tonight so that I could torque the other head down. Still need to seal the seam between pan and head. Getting very anxious for the pushrods to arrive so I can do final install of rocker arms. I set camshaft end play to .009" with nylon bushing. Gave the timing cover and water pump a test fit. Also installed Carter fuel pump.

20171125_231321.jpg

20171125_231331.jpg

20171125_231520.jpg

20171126_000841.jpg

20171126_002405.jpg

Got some parts today. Not much time to play with them though. Between working 16hrs+ and family time, it is hard to find time to wrench.

WOW, XP Ultra Holley carbs are so light!!! I really had no idea how much lighter it would be. My piece is 850CFM. I am super excited, first time I have ever bought a new carb.

Edelbrock Torker is so much nicer than the Weiand Xcellerator that I was going to use. The Edelbrock casting is so much cleaner, and ports are nearly a perfect match to gaskets.

Pushrods are in, will set lash soon. Waiting on ignition and headers. Should be able to fire up soon I hope.

Quicktime bellhousing for T5 tremec also showed up. I hope you guys like my build. This is a dream come true for me, I hope to have some time off in the near future to enjoy it.

Have you bolted up the bell housing to the motor yet? Ive heard they have fitment issues from a couple people.

I've read a few threads on here saying the engine end didn't line up. Those we're also guys using 833's so it could be different.
I had no issue with mine. I put 10,000 miles on it pretty quick because it was so nice to drive with that trans setup.

I had no issue with mine. I put 10,000 miles on it pretty quick because it was so nice to drive with that trans setup.
Don't mean to hijack the thread here but how's the t56 fit in the tunnel of an A-body? And how do you go about finding one?

It doesn't fit in the stock tunnel. I don't want to kill his thread you can Pm me if you want.

I was actually thinking of this. It does not bother me that the gasket it slightly smaller than the port on the head. I was considering even, leaving the gasket along, and making the port on the intake manifold match the gasket exactly. I would rather the intake manifold port be smaller than the cylinder head port than vice versa.
Nice project! Like the "Southern Sun" rooftop, I know it helps down there! If You cannot find a gasket that is slightly larger I would definitely trim what You have, You do not
want that gasket, esp. paper protruding into the port opening. Looking forward to how She runs, keep pluggin'!!

I found the perfect intake gasket for these heads.

Hughes Engines

I already installed the intake with the smaller port opening gaskets though. No worries as I only intend to run the engine on a stand to leak check/shake down run it. After I know that all is well, I am going to have it painted with the intake off. I got Chrysler Corporate Blue from Eastwood Company.

I also got too ahead of myself and installed the pan before the windage tray arrived. I plan to install that before I run it as well.

I received my ignition system from FBO. Man, the customer service there is great. I needed a full system, so I got a coil, ignition module, and distributor. If you are in the same boat as me, needing a distributor, they will set the ignition curve for you once you give them all the specs of your build.

I also primed the oil pump with a drill. Very glad I spent the $10 to get a pump drive shaft. It is amazing how well the Comp Rockers oil. I made a huge mess in a small amount of time!

I am going to get some new ends for the spark plug wire connectors so that I am shorten up the ones that I have now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DRIHwu0fdlWvIcpn1

20171205_214823.jpg

20171209_171819.jpg

20171210_120501.jpg

I use Superformance intake gaskets with ported heads. I had the same problem that you're having so I designed a set of gasket carriers "batwings" to seal to the valley plate. You can now buy the valley plate and gasket carriers from Hughes Engines or Mancini Racing.
DSC_9774 (Large).JPG

-
Back