400 Engine

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I went and looked at a 1973 400 engine a while back and wondering what you guys think it's worth.
It came out of a Chrysler C body and it's a 1973 400 2 bbl with the heads and a 2bbl intake. No exhaust manifolds or alternator or any of its brackets. No pulleys either. It doesn't look like it has ever been apart and it turns over easily.
He said he would include the 727 too.
He asking $200 for both and I don't know what I would do with it but I do have free storage so I could just sit on it.
He also had a 69 383 2bbl there too that he wants to get rid of. But I didn't make an offer for it.
Is it a good price or should I pass?

Sounds reasonable, especially if you have the storage. Assume that both need complete rebuilds and you won't be disappointed ;)

400 blocks are great for making 451's!

Sounds like a reasonable guy. If it were me and you have the room, get both. Future projects or because the purchase price is good, flippers.

The block alone is worth the price! I went thru 3 to find a nice thicker wall. I paid between $250-300 for core short blocks

I agree, buy 'em.
But the RR 383 would be a 4bbl...... somebody could have thrown in a 383 2bbl at some point, just say'n

Big block 727 cores are also getting harder to find. Offer 300 for the 400/727 or 400 for all three? The 383 should have a steel crank which will fit the 400.

Jump on it . Just a 400 alone in my neck of the woods is going for $400 and hes throwing in the tranny also ? its a no brainer.

I'm not at all unhappy with my 360, and I cannot imagine 450plus ftlbs in a 400, or 500ftlbs in a 451. Hoowee!! I suppose as flippers, it could be attractive. But; where are you gonna flip them at, now that we know what you paid for them?This community is worse than a convention of Mennonites at the self-help store...:(

I'm not at all unhappy with my 360, and I cannot imagine 450plus ftlbs in a 400, or 500ftlbs in a 451. Hoowee!! I suppose as flippers, it could be attractive. But; where are you gonna flip them at, now that we know what you paid for them?This community is worse than a convention of Mennonites at the self-help store...:(

Like most things in the auto market if you want it bad enough you'll buy it. My 400 is a 471 600 HP @ about 675 PD tq

-
Back