408 Build- Guess the HP/TQ (Dyno Results in 3 weeks)

-

68Dart500

Reaction score
I'm about 2 1/2 or 3 weeks away from picking up my new 408. Thought it might be fun to have people guess the HP and Torque to see how close some of you get.

Build Specs:
Seasoned 360 LA Block
Scat Forged Crank 4.000"
Scat Forged Rods 6.123"
Icon Forged Dished Pistons .03 over
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads (2.02/1.60) Upgraded valve springs but that's it (for this year)
10.1:1 Compression ratio
Howards Hydraulic Flat Tappet. 244/248 @050. .566/.578 Lift. 108 LSA
Comp Cams aluminum roller tipped rocker arms (1.5 Ratio)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap Intake
1 inch carb spacer
Quick Fuel 750 Mechanical Secondaries
MSD Distributor, Wires, and Coil

What are peoples estimates for horsepower and torque? I have a pretty good idea based off another build this company did but I am curious what the community members think it will make. I know the biggest bottleneck is likely going to be the heads but I just ran out of money so I'll have to wait until next year to have Hughes port and polish the heads.

I'd say 475 hp and 510 ft/lbs. Peak torque 4200rpm, peak hp at 5400. Will be a lot of fun. My .02, use single plane Victor over dual plane. No loss of torque on these strokers, traction is biggest issue. I have a Victor on my 408, torque down low is unreal.

My guess is going to be around 440 hp and 510 torque but we'll see. I went with a bit more of an aggressive cam then the last one they built.

I don’t want to hijack this thread so will delete this if the op feels that way. But how much would be gained with this setup with gasket matching and moderate head work?

I don’t want to hijack this thread so will delete this if the op feels that way. But how much would be gained with this setup with gasket matching and moderate head work?

Engine Masters took a 408 with these heads and a similar cam. Swapped on a Victor intake that had some work done and Steve Dulchich ported the eddy heads. It bumped it up 92 hp I believe.

Engine Masters took a 408 with these heads and a similar cam. Swapped on a Victor intake that had some work done and Steve Dulchich ported the eddy heads. It bumped it up 92 hp I believe.

Calling the porting Steve did “moderate” is a bit of a stretch in my book but everyone has different definitions I recon.

My guess is going to be around 440 hp and 510 torque but we'll see. I went with a bit more of an aggressive cam then the last one they built.
Unported Edelbrock heads flow around 245cfm, should easily support 480hp. That cam has decent lift, I think your estimate might be a little low. Either way it will put a smile on your face when you stand on it, I know mine sure does.

Calling the porting Steve did “moderate” is a bit of a stretch in my book but everyone has different definitions I recon.

Yeah I didn't mean to say what Steve did was moderate just that was the freshest example I had of port work with eddy heads and a 408 to reference. I'd love to have Steve do my heads and while he's at it throw me a couple of the cars he's got sitting around his property :D

Unported Edelbrock heads flow around 245cfm, should easily support 480hp. That cam has decent lift, I think your estimate might be a little low. Either way it will put a smile on your face when you stand on it, I know mine sure does.

I can't wait!

This will be closest because of the heads if I had to guess. Maybe 450hp 480 ft lbs

close to my estimate.

i couldnt guess any higher, because thats almost what my 408 makes and we cant have his make more then mine

stir.gif

If it only makes 425, put a stick of dynamite in it, blow it up and start over!

It should make in the 470-480hp and 500tq

The air gap intake WILL not be the choke point.

Last edited:
467HP 495TQ 5500/4400 RPM

Correction: that's a lot of cam, probably too much for the heads.

Last edited:
-
Back