408 Build- Guess the HP/TQ (Dyno Results in 3 weeks)

-
If it only makes 425, put a stick of dynamite in it, blow it up and start over!

It should make in the 470-480hp and 500tq

The air gap intake WILL not be the choke point.

Funny how for a while there, people thought a dual plane wouldn't allow a 408 to power through 6,000 rpm.

Isnt about 450 hp the limit to eddy heads without porting ?

And torque for this level of build probably 1.15-1.25 per cid = 470-510 lbs-ft.

I’d say no but the amount of cam required would be rather large for actual street driving duties IMO. Which is also dependent on what your willing to live with on the street. How much power can/could be made regardless of compression and cam size and etc... is also another story.

I suppose you could really well for a dedicated track car.

I’d say no but the amount of cam required would be rather large for actual street driving duties IMO. Which is also dependent on what your willing to live with on the street. How much power can/could be made regardless of compression and cam size and etc... is also another story.

I suppose you could really well for a dedicated track car.

True I guess limit is the wrong word.

In my mind something like comp xe285hl or roller version with 10 - 10.5 : 1 is the upper side of street engine.

I kind of use a guesstimation of hp per cfm

Cam @ 0.050" Cr hp per cfm
215° 9:1 & under 1.6
225° 9:1 1.7
235° 9.5:1 1.8
245° 10:1+ 1.9

Don't see too many engines hit the 2hp per cid.

I haven’t seen any engines designed to make that kind of power with those heads.

Funny though if those couple of magazine articles are right and my 380hp create engine makes 400 + hp. My engine actually makes the 2 hp per cfm and just by intake cam and headers lol

The heads will hold it back. I've seen a couple voodoo 268 cammed SB strokers with 9.5ish comp and ede heads make anywhere from 455 to 480hp (ported to 270 range). This thing has a LOT more camshaft than a voodoo 268 226/234 .495/.513. Basically 20* more at .050 and ..060-.070 more lift. The heads will be showing 240ish cfm for a long time. It should make more than 450 without issue.

My guess is based on a very sililar 408 build. 475 hp+ at 5800, 490 tq at 4600.

I finalize at;
490ft.lbs. @ 4000 / 440hp @ 5500

Talked to the shop and they said it was going on the dyno next week so I'll have results soon. I'm getting pretty anxious!

I finalize at;
490ft.lbs. @ 4000 / 440hp @ 5500

Isn't that like your third guess????? Ok, we WILL hold you to THIS guess.

My guess is...IDK yet. Still mulling it over.
so........I'm going to say...521 on HP and 555 on torque. IMHO...a solid cam would add probably 20-25 HP and pull it past 6200 better. But that's my guess.

My guess is...IDK yet. Still mulling it over....
Ummmm, yea, kind of, sort of, first official guess not following someone else’s guess, so, yea, no, kinda sorta...
Lmao

I’m not sure. Your making me nervous. (Lol)

I also want to do something similar, solid lifter cam wise.

so........I'm going to say...521 on HP and 555 on torque. IMHO...a solid cam would add probably 20-25 HP and pull it past 6200 better. But that's my guess.
430 HP and 470 Tq is my guess, I like to be conservative on such a mild build.

I agree on the solid. So many people are afraid to use them because of the misconception that you have to adjust them all the time. In my 408 I have a small solid but it has pretty aggressive ramps and and stiff springs and I check it once a year (3000-3500 miles) just as a spring tune up and it rarely needs any adjustment

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but how about a timeslip and weigh at the local truckstop? With the proper. amount of the same weight oil you will be running. Also, will you be getting your air:fuel ratio dialed in?

Good luck, I'm looking forwards to the numbers and graphs.

I'm looking forward to it as well lol. I called last Friday and was told an engine ahead of this one was taking a bit longer so mine would probably not be finished and dyno'd until next week at the earliest. I told them if it's not done by next Friday I won't get to pick it up for 4 weeks because I'll be out of the country on vacation (which they knew about when I originally ordered it). As long as they do a good job that's all I care about. I wasn't going to put the motor in until I got the car back from my body guy. I'm dropping the car off at the body guy the day before I leave and when I get back it'll be mini tubed and the roof will be painted.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but how about a timeslip and weigh at the local truckstop? With the proper. amount of the same weight oil you will be running. Also, will you be getting your air:fuel ratio dialed in?

Good luck, I'm looking forwards to the numbers and graphs.

I'm planning on taking it to rock falls or Brainard once I get it finished so I'll have a timeslip hopefully. I'm guessing its not going to be super light. I've got a full interior, QT Bellhousing, Driveshaft loop, and steel rims.

I'm planning on taking it to rock falls or Brainard once I get it finished so I'll have a timeslip hopefully. I'm guessing its not going to be super light. I've got a full interior, QT Bellhousing, Driveshaft loop, and steel rims.
I hope you have frame connectors, you're gonna need them.

I hope you have frame connectors, you're gonna need them.

I don't yet but I was considering them. It's mainly going to be a street vehicle but I suppose it only takes one time to tweak something on a hard launch. Especially with a fairly sticky and large 28x12.5 MT ET Street SS's.

-
Back