408 results

-
Where did you end up for timing?

That's a solid deal and good enough to run mid 11's or better at 117+ in your car if it hooks well

Couldn't read any numbers. What did it make?

It needs more initial timing is my guess, closer to 18. That will clean up the idle and any rpm drop issues when put in gear.

If it smells like raw fuel out the pipes, not enough timing at idle.

Simple test... set rpm where you want it. Give Dist a small twist CCW, if RPM increases, the engine wants the timing at idle. REset idle speed and mix screws, do it again.

Sniff the tailpipe? Sounds high tech... lol
Agreed, I expect there'll be a little fine tuning to do with tip-in and it's low speed manners.
Looking forward to it! :thumbsup:

If it smells like raw fuel out the pipes, not enough timing at idle.

Simple test... set rpm where you want it. Give Dist a small twist CCW, if RPM increases, the engine wants the timing at idle. REset idle speed and mix screws, do it again.

No sniffer required other than your nose. Ever stand behind a car that smells like a fuel truck dumping fuel. That's what cars with low initial timing tend to smell like at idle.

What heads, cam and compression? Any porting work done? For sure, 469 hp will put a smile on your face!

Yes indeed. I have that issue with my 57. It has a ramjet with a gen 3 module in it... basically not tuneable. It sucks! Thinking about changing over to one of the Accel units with an O2 sensor... then I can put a better cam in it too.
So many projects...

No sniffer required other than your nose. Ever stand behind a car that smells like a fuel truck dumping fuel. That's what cars with low initial timing tend to smell like at idle.

What heads, cam and compression? Any porting work done? For sure, 469 hp will put a smile on your face!

He has a thread titled help me beat my Chevy buddies where he gives a quick run down of the build.

Eddie heads with porting and 10.8 I believe in compression. Cam specs I can not recall.

I don't remember the gasket thickness... and the engine / spec sheet is still at the machine shop. Ask me in 2 weeks and I'll share all the info.

20171016_123447.jpg

20171016_123737.jpg

carb n intake.jpg

The 408 build is getting popular. They make a lot of torque in the right place. :thumbsup:

I broke the 3:55's and have had 3:23's in it for the last couple yrs. Since me and the mrs. do a lot of cruising I think I'll stay with the 3:23's. The 408 is so torquey it didn't really lose very much going to the 3:23's. BTW: I now have MT 275/60/15 drag radials on it and even with 3:23's have major traction issues on the street. 1/4 pedal will break them loose. It hooks fine at the track though

Yeah... pretty sure traction is going to be a problem. Good news is nobody will see me lose through all the smoke! haha Who doesn't love a good heater?!
I don't want to cut anything so I have a feeling a 245 ish tire is all that's gonna fit under there. I've never run those drag radials; (on the street) do they get sticky if you heat them up or not really?
Cheers

I broke the 3:55's and have had 3:23's in it for the last couple yrs. Since me and the mrs. do a lot of cruising I think I'll stay with the 3:23's. The 408 is so torquey it didn't really lose very much going to the 3:23's. BTW: I now have MT 275/60/15 drag radials on it and even with 3:23's have major traction issues on the street. 1/4 pedal will break them loose. It hooks fine at the track though

Yeah... pretty sure traction is going to be a problem. Good news is nobody will see me lose through all the smoke! haha Who doesn't love a good heater?!
I don't want to cut anything so I have a feeling a 245 ish tire is all that's gonna fit under there. I've never run those drag radials; (on the street) do they get sticky if you heat them up or not really?
Cheers

Keep us posted when you get that build sheet!!

-
Back