440 engine decoding help please

-

mayhem

Reaction score
There are 2 440 engines which I am considering. Before I go check them out, I'd like to know what I'm looking at. The info on the first pad is:

T 440 E
6 19

The second pad is reported as:

8 440 EHP
1 51

What are these engines? Assuming everything else is equal between the two, is one more desirable for rebuilding than the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1969 engines are E Code.
HP denotes Hotter cam and
Windage tray mainly.
No basic differences in engine in HP
version.

Just late model 440 engines with cast cranks. Nothing special about them. You want the one that is in the nicest shape but that can be a little hard to tell sometimes.

I think those are both 69 engines that would/should have steel cranks.
Ask the owners for the partial Vin on the pad above the oilpan, and the casting date on the side of the block, to confirm 1969.
But as John said, the difference between an HP version and the non-hp completely disappear with a rebuild. I would pay NO premium for an hp stamp on a block, it's meaningless.

Edit: the partial vin should be 8 characters. First Is year, second is assy plant, next six are sequence numbers . Example 9Axxxxxx would be 1969, A for lynch road, 123456. OBxxxxxx would be 1970, Hamtramck build. ( if an early 69 block, it might have the full vin on the pad., if a replacement block, nothing on the pad at all). @mayhem

Last edited:
No they are late model engines with cast cranks. E means cast crank when it is after the 440. The numbers aren't complete. There should be a number before the T showing the year. Late model engines are stamped something like 8T440 for 1978 Trenton 440.

If OP wants to know for sure before he goes looks at them then ask for the VIN from the side of the block or ask for the casting date which is also from the side of the block.

Thank you Andy, et al. I'll try & get the casting numbers and VINs before traveling. I've also asked for pics of the ID bosses to verify the info he provided earlier.

Casting date on the block will be the best answer, but Andy knows a LOT more about this stuff than I do.
(Vin can be a restamp on a blank replacement block, so possibly less reliable than a casting date).

-
Back