45rfe over nag1

-

outboardguy

Reaction score
Hello...I am in the planning process of putting a 2006 5.7 hemi in my 67 charger (I also have a 69 barracuda and don't feel like joining the bbodies only group). Anyway, my donor car has the nag1 trans, and as much as I'd like to use it, it seems like a ridiculous amount of work to get to work(expensive also). So, my question is, will the PCM from the original car(2006 charger) be able to be changed(by my hptuners) to handle a 45rfe, or 5rfe? There is the spot to disable my nag1 and enable either a 4 or 5 speed? Would I just need the harness to plug from my PCM to the trans?

You'll have to do floor pan and torsion bar crossmember surgery to use either transmission, but I know that wasn't your question. I would choose the 545RFE over the Nag1. Now that the8HP70 is in play, I would pick that over either of the others. Back when I was planning to do a 5.7 in my 70 Duster, I bought a 545RFE that had been in a 2007 Chrysler Aspen that was crashed with 37K miles. I made it fit the car with the Hemi. Hotwire Auto could make a harness to operate the hemi and also the 545 by using a PCM from a 2005 Dodge 1500. I chose the 545 because it is a very durable transmission (electronics aside) AND, it has a slip yoke tailshaft. With a Nag1, you gotta do all that driveshaft cobbling to get it to work with an add on controller. I lost interest in the Gen 3 swap and sold all the stuff to another guy who put it all in a 70 Dart and got it going. I don't think the PCM from the Charger will run the 545, so talk to Chris at Hotwire Auto if you want the simple fix. Good luck with it!

-
Back