5.9 stock Mopar Performance Magnum with EQ Hughs heads HP?

-

67dartgtgo

Reaction score
I have a stock 5.9 Magnum Mopar Performance 300HP crate engine with about 30k on it.
If I change out the heads for EQ Hughs massaged with 2.02 intakes, associated exhaust valves and stronger behive springs but left the original cam, pistons and M1 dual plane intake manifold on it what kind of HP increase would I be looking at? I have a Magnum Edelbrock air gap I could use as well. Thought process would be to make these changes without removing the engine and no substantial teardown.
Thoughts and comments please.

Horsepower increase with this head swap without a camshaft change would not live up to the expectations that come with the expense of the new heads. The stock Magnum heads are not bad. Do a camshaft and valve spring swap to maximise the heads you have and you'll be much happier. Camshaft and valve spring upgrade would really wake up that crate engine. If you are set on the head swap, wait until you can the change the camshaft at the same time.

Horsepower increase with this head swap without a camshaft change would not live up to the expectations that come with the expense of the new heads. The stock Magnum heads are not bad. Do a camshaft swap to maximise the heads you have and you'll be much happier. Camshaft and valve spring upgrade would really wake up that crate engine. Of your set on the head swap, wait until you can the change the camshaft at the same time.
I was actually thinking of a camshaft upgrade at a later time but was also wondering if a piston change would be needed.
I'd like to be able to do whatever can be done with the block in the engine bay.
I'm not really set on the head swap but was just wondering what the performance increase might be. Jeez, I bet a camchaft and stiffer springs with no other changes could be done pretty cheaply but I'm curious how much gain could be had. Would be sooo much easier and be able to keep the street drivability.

The main difference between the 300hp create and the 380hp was the cam.

You got the factory 5.9 cam very very mild.
Even a step up to something like 265 with .500 lift will wake your engine and still ne mild. You can get your cam regrind.

Just a head swap with out a cam probably give you 20hp.

and intake manifold....300 hp motor got m1 dual plane...380 hp motor got the m1 single plane

The main difference between the 300hp create and the 380hp was the cam.

You got the factory 5.9 cam very very mild.
Even a step up to something like 265 with .500 lift will wake your engine and still ne mild. You can get your cam regrind.

Just a head swap with out a cam probably give you 20hp.
Thanks Bobzilla and 273....def leaning towards just a cam change and possible spring upgrade. Would love to keep all else as is....lifters, pushrods, rockers, no valve/head changes would make my financial day.
Research ongoing for best best cam selection.

Thanks Bobzilla and 273....def leaning towards just a cam change and possible spring upgrade. Would love to keep all else as is....lifters, pushrods, rockers, no valve/head changes would make my financial day.
Research ongoing for best best cam selection.

If your leaving head stock you dont want to go to far over .500" lift., I think my cam is .513" on the lift which is basically the max.

If your leaving head stock you dont want to go to far over .500" lift., I think my cam is .513" on the lift which is basically the max.

I spoke to Richard at HipoTek and he recommended this cam using stock heads and better "drop in" springs. The engine is in a 5.9 powered Dodge Ram with stock torque converter. The grind is the old KRC 210X in which is very popular because it works so well without head change.

HiPoTek HPT210XP Performance Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Dodge 5.2/5.9 (318/360) Magnum

I was this close on getting this cam but decided to let Brian at IMM Engines build me a 408 stroker instead so I will using his cam recommendation.

67dartgtago... sounds like you was looking at IMM Engines EQ heads...lol

Horsepower increase with this head swap without a camshaft change would not live up to the expectations that come with the expense of the new heads. The stock Magnum heads are not bad. Do a camshaft and valve spring swap to maximise the heads you have and you'll be much happier. Camshaft and valve spring upgrade would really wake up that crate engine. If you are set on the head swap, wait until you can the change the camshaft at the same time.
I totally agree. Bite the finacial bullet, check the EQ heads for spring type and max to coil bind, pick out a good cam, and enjoy a nice, 350 to 400 hp package that runs on pump swill.
Search for dyno sessions on the magnum crate motors for an idea of what your cam choice is likely to produce for torque and hp. The dyno sheets i have seen show the crates actually made more than advertised power, and those were magnum stock heads.

Last edited:
I spoke to Richard at HipoTek and he recommended this cam using stock heads and better "drop in" springs. The engine is in a 5.9 powered Dodge Ram with stock torque converter. The grind is the old KRC 210X in which is very popular because it works so well without head change.

HiPoTek HPT210XP Performance Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Dodge 5.2/5.9 (318/360) Magnum

I was this close on getting this cam but decided to let Brian at IMM Engines build me a 408 stroker instead so I will using his cam recommendation.

67dartgtago... sounds like you was looking at IMM Engines EQ heads...lol
Yessir.....IMM is what sparked my interest. Thanks.

I had Lunati grind this custom cam for my 300hp crate motor for $300. This is a drop in that is very streetable.
Demon 650DP, Pro Products Airgap, Summit 1 5/8 headers, 3.91 gear, low gear set 904, Turbo Action tight converter, car ran a best of 11.86 good air and 12.0 in hot humid Florida.
108LSA ICL106
CAM, CHR 273-360 SP HR
62070/62071 HR108+2
234/236 480/456 W/1.6 RR
Use long nose core

I had Lunati grind this custom cam for my 300hp crate motor for $300. This is a drop in that is very streetable.
Demon 650DP, Pro Products Airgap, Summit 1 5/8 headers, 3.91 gear, low gear set 904, Turbo Action tight converter, car ran a best of 11.86 good air and 12.0 in hot humid Florida.
108LSA ICL106
CAM, CHR 273-360 SP HR
62070/62071 HR108+2
234/236 480/456 W/1.6 RR
Use long nose core

Wow. That’s awesome.

108LSA ICL106
CAM, CHR 273-360 SP HR
62070/62071 HR108+2
234/236 480/456 W/1.6 RR
Use long nose core

I' m liking your combo man.i wanted to build one like lxguy build but yours sounds easier to follow.i don' wanna have to buy after market heads.and his cam is alote bigger but you run same times his did but milder.great job.

I' m liking your combo man.i wanted to build one like lxguy build but yours sounds easier to follow.i don' wanna have to buy after market heads.and his cam is alote bigger but you run same times his did but milder.great job.
Thanks. Unfortunately I broke an exhaust valve and this motor blew after approx 400 passes. I should of installed new valve springs sooner. I run a 340 now with IMM Indy LAX heads and 11.77@1000 ft DA so far. It will run 11.5 this fall. HP is important but doesn't do much good if the chassis doesn't hook up.

i had a 300 hp crate as well.air gap intake,and a cam from hughes(1828,part #) and thier springs,did wonders for that motor.it really came to life.

you can always use a sim program, pipemax, controlled induction's software and do what ifs
for off the shelf cams
Lunati Voodoo good choice
also Howard but specify .904 lifter cams
Comp XE-HL series (only)

I’m doing a stock bottom end 360 with eq heads, block is at the machine shop as we speak... I would guess it should be on the Dyno later in the year as I don’t need it till next summer. I will take suggestions on the cam and post the dyno results....most likely with both a carb and efi.

you can always use a sim program, pipemax, controlled induction's software and do what ifs
for off the shelf cams
Lunati Voodoo good choice
also Howard but specify .904 lifter cams
Comp XE-HL series (only)
Went with Howard's retro fit la grind:
229/233 @ .050 / 110 lobe center ,installed on a 106 intake center line , 1110 spring from Hughes .Did install E.Q heads , hench the higher like with 1.5 Chevy rockers . (Wanted adjustments on valve train ,available. .) O.P...
Mderoy's sounds really close ,for you.

I have a stock 5.9 Magnum Mopar Performance 300HP crate engine with about 30k on it.
If I change out the heads for EQ Hughs massaged with 2.02 intakes, associated exhaust valves and stronger behive springs but left the original cam, pistons and M1 dual plane intake manifold on it what kind of HP increase would I be looking at? I have a Magnum Edelbrock air gap I could use as well. Thought process would be to make these changes without removing the engine and no substantial teardown.
Thoughts and comments please.
You never brought up gear , transmission, and torque converter in a automatic.

I'd compare/ highly consider Mike Jones for Roller and HR cams, and FT solids
IDK about lunati rollers for MOPAR
Lunati Voodoo is the go to source for Hyd as far as off the shelf cams- more choices than anyone else

I'd compare/ highly consider Mike Jones for Roller and HR cams, and FT solids
IDK about lunati rollers for MOPAR
Lunati Voodoo is the go to source for Hyd as far as off the shelf cams- more choices than anyone else

Who is Mike Jones?

Jones Cams
has done some high buck factory projects like the turbo buick indy engines been doing it for 40 years
When you go from a flat tappet to a roller the flank goes inverse unless you increase the duration
They have been able to make inverse radius flank roller profiles work allowing them to use a significant less seat duration for the same or better upper profile
not just that simple as roller wheel and base circle are involved as well as side thrust- not simple tradeoffs
I knew his dad who dynoed our Indy twin turbo Rambler 210 inches 50 Pounds of boost 1000 hp for 30 minuets on the So Cal Champion Spark plug dyno
- we had more torque coming off the corners than any car that year
Indy put in a "fuel rule" that made us noncompetitive
His Brother Rick markets the "Controlled Induction" software take a look at the demo online- google it
Street Performance | Jones Cams

-
Back