5 Speed Gear ratio advice?

-
LMAO, big deal.
Well I think likes are a barometer to gauge the usefulness of my contributions. I check the likes from time to time, to keep track of my usefulness here. It's been running about the same, since the beginning; so if nothing else, it seems I'm at least consistent.

I think it would also be useful to know how many dislikes I have received. Cuz really, it seems I could learn something from that, and learning stuff makes aging more agreeable.

no problem,, my issue with the parts wasn't with install, it was about a noise we heard after it was running. We (the local trans shop) thought after remove and disassembly thought it needed a 1st gear bearing and I needed some specs on clearances. No one would help with some info. Since it is supposed to be a redesign of a T56 we installed a bearing from a Viper trans from Mopar. I'm just pissed that we had to wing it with no support from anyone. My console is an auto with a 4 speed top plate like you want to do. I did have to send the trans back to Tenn from Canada to have the shift mechanism relocated to be directly under the hole in the rubber boot, so you have to watch for that. When I got the "perfect fit trans" the shifter was coming thru the ashtray. Hence the aggression.
Oh wow. I wouldn’t call that a “perfect fit” at all. They would have had that worked out the first time you would think. I can only imagine the cost involved of shipping it back to TN for the adjustment. I wonder if I should mention this when placing my order so hopefully they could correct that on the front end. Thanks for the info.

Oh wow. I wouldn’t call that a “perfect fit” at all. They would have had that worked out the first time you would think. I can only imagine the cost involved of shipping it back to TN for the adjustment. I wonder if I should mention this when placing my order so hopefully they could correct that on the front end. Thanks for the info.
Remember I was dealing with Keisler's "perfect fit",,you'd be talking to Silver Sport. They bought Keisler but did they do more engineering for their "perfect fit"? Having gone thru it I still dont see how anyone can call it a "perfect fit". That pic you posted of the cross member in the tunnel,,I'd ask them "Is the a pic of an A Body, or a B,E,C,F. We A Boys have the smallest real estate to work with I think. Can't see a non A833 based box fitting in there easily and your looking at the TKO which in my eyes is bigger on to top side.

LGT700_Transimission_Large[1].png

TKORS_thumb[1].png

Have you guys heard of ToddRon Restorations? They make a nice cross-member to put a 6 speed in. If I had the cash, I would do this in a heart beat!! Check out their Facebook page. They have a ton of pictures of the projects they're working on. Their cross member isn't cheap though, but that's the same for anything Mopar.

ToddRon Restorations

Have you guys heard of ToddRon Restorations? They make a nice cross-member to put a 6 speed in. If I had the cash, I would do this in a heart beat!! Check out their Facebook page. They have a ton of pictures of the projects they're working on. Their cross member isn't cheap though, but that's the same for anything Mopar.

ToddRon Restorations
that looks like a good piece. Demon and I intended to use the stock console to keep the stock look. With ToddRon that option is defiantly off the table.

I read some of the things y'all know and post and think I should sell my car and by a mini van, because I'm way outta my league......:lol:

Remember I was dealing with Keisler's "perfect fit",,you'd be talking to Silver Sport. They bought Keisler but did they do more engineering for their "perfect fit"? Having gone thru it I still dont see how anyone can call it a "perfect fit". That pic you posted of the cross member in the tunnel,,I'd ask them "Is the a pic of an A Body, or a B,E,C,F. We A Boys have the smallest real estate to work with I think. Can't see a non A833 based box fitting in there easily and your looking at the TKO which in my eyes is bigger on to top side.

View attachment 1715101582

View attachment 1715101583
This is true, I knew they had bought keisler but didn't know the actual transmissions were that much different. Hopefully they did do more engineering than keisler did for the perfect fit kit. The picture I posted comes from their flyer for the A body A41 automatic swap cross member instructions, though the salesman says its the same mod necessary for the 5 speed.

IMO
the perfect-fit is a GVOD behind an A833. And if you start with a 3.09/direct 4th, I can't see 7 or 8 useable gears not being a good thing. With this combo 3.55s are pretty sweet. You can probably find a gear to fit any situation.I know I can.
Toss in a Passon aluminum box and the whole works weighs about the same as the regular A833, actually less IIRC. Yeah I seem to remember 110ish.
The tunnel only required a couple of well-placed whacks.
The shifter could be re-centered into the console, but I got me a short-stick and moved it back between the buckets, made up some stout shift-rods, and tossed the console. BadaBoom no more reaching for Third, and no more missed shifts
The ratios are;
3.09-2.41-1.91-1.50-1.40-1.09-1.00-.78od....GVOD in bold
I run it with 3.55s.
The Cruise-gear is 2.77, and the starter is 10.97,
60 mph is 6380 in 2.41 ratio. 30mph is 4100 in 3.09
Car goes 93(1/8th)@6150 in 1.50 ratio. This translates to 115 in the Qtr
To go 115, I could use
3.23s and 1.40 to get 6460,shifting thru 4 ratios, or
3.55s and 1.09 to get 5530, with 5 ratios.or,
3.73s and 1.09 to get 5810,with 5 ratios, or
3.91s and 1.09 to get 6100, also 5 ratios or,
4.10s and 1.09 to get 6385, still 5 ratios,or
4.10s and 1.00, to get 5860, hyup, 5 ratios
4.30s and 1.00 to get 6150, using 4 or 5 ratios
But I haven't raced Qtr.

Last edited:
Thank you all for that technical class. It was perfectly timed as I was about to post a very similar question. I’m standing in line for a 855 5 speed. Before that I was looking at a 3:55 gear, but with an extra gear I can go lower, so I want to make a very informed decision - this thread will allow for that. That’s not to say my head wasn’t spinning a time or two...

GEO4
The 855,IIRC, has ratios of 2.64-1.92-1.40-1.00-.69od.
The standard A833 has..... 2.66-1.92-1.40-1.00 (and .78od with the GVOD.)
Whadaya wanna gear it for? and how much engine are you running?
I'll tell you a secret, there's about a .8 split between running the 1/8th and running the qtr.That is to say, a car that goes 116 in the qtr optimally geared, will run about .8 x 116 =93 in the qtr. So.................... a trans with a 3-4 split of .8 will hit both bases. None exists with enough capacity for a 3400 pound raceweight, to go this fast.

But the GVOD comes pretty close with its .78 split. So to hit 116 optimally with a 360HO will require about 4.56s to hit it at 6400 with a stick, in direct. But 4.18s (rounds down to 4.10) to do it in 3rd-over.
So what that means is you can hit the 93 in third(1.40ratio) at 6410(with28s), and you can hit 116 at 6230 in third-OD (1.4 x .78). That's a 180 rpm difference, and,on paper, is about as tight as it's ever gonna be.
4.10s will get you 65=2500 in 4th-over, and the starter gear is 4.1 x 2.66=10.91, perfect for a high output SBM in a streeter. And only a small handicap on the start-line when racing.

Now lets work it out for the 855
To hit 116 in 4th,you will need 4.56s to hit it at 6350, (cruises at 65=2450)
To hit 93 in third. you will need 4.10s to hit it at 6410, (cruises at 65=2210)
This is about as insignificant an rpm difference as you can imagine,60rpm, but it did require a chunk change.
The starter gear is adequate for a streeter with either rear.
But suppose you have less or more power and neither rear gear is correct for your application. No problem, the split remains about one rear ratio.

So let's go back to the A833(3.09low)/GVOD.
The ratios are;3.09-2.41-1.91-1.50-1.40-1.09-1.00-.78od....GVOD in bold
Notice that 1.4 and 1.5 are pretty close together. In practice you would run one or the other, never back to back. Ok so what you say? Well if you gear the car to hit 93 in second over 1.40 ratio, you will have four ratios to get you there with very tight splits. The correct ratio to hit it at 6400, in 1.40 ratio is 4.10. So what about the 116. To hit that at 6400 requires an overall ratio of 4.598. So how to get it? Let's try it with 1.09 ratio. I get 4.22s So between the two, 4.10s looks like the winner. Lets do the math.
93 will be 6410 in 3rd (1.40 ratio), and 116 will be 6220 in 3rd-OD(1.09 ratio).
The starter is now 3.09 x 4.1=12.67, a little much for street, but great at the track. and 65 will be 2490.
The nice part about 4.10s is you can hit 65 at 6110, wound out in second, having used 3 ratios to get there!; the 12.67 to launch with, splitting it at about 35/40mph,then hitting second at 50/54mph and then powering thru to 65mph. I did this for quite a few years with 4.30s. But I shifted a lot earlier, and at part-throttle, cuz really it just spins all the way at WOT.
To be fair, the GVOD shifts like lightning...........when it shifts.
But you have to learn to anticipate the shift. It doesn't always shift the second you hit the button. At lower speeds,the lag is noticeable. The unit gets it's operating pressure from the spinning driveshaft. With 3.55s, driving normally,shifting 1-2 at say sub-3000 rpm it takes a while to build pressure. With 4.88s the pressure is right there. So I rarely split the 1-2 unless wound up. Again, with 4.10s this will not be a problem. What will be a problem is the carnage behind it. Using a CFII, I broke a lotta parts.
So what I'm saying is that the combo is dynomite on paper, but in real-life, it comes with a bit of a learning curve.
Oh and you have to wire it in such a way that it can never be engaged in reverse; that spells almost instant death for it. And you're not supposed to downshift with it. You can downshift into a gear that already has the OD selected, that's OK. Say you're slowing down entering town from cruising in 4od, and you forget to disengage od. So you're going from 4od to 3od to 2od; that's fine. Just clutch it before de-selecting od and it will all be fine. You have to disengage the OD when downshifting into it, that is to say;remove the power from the input side, then de-select. . On the upshift not so. You can pump full power into it not using the clutch at all. But is likes to break stuff behind and in front of it when you do this. My engine broke three A833od boxes, well really; just one input gear,and the others where blown up od gears. It also tore the straps off the rear yoke and blew up 3.91s. I upgraded as I went,lol. I then pulled the CFII disc and swapped in a dealer-supplied 340 disc, which it tore two of them up. I finally softened the hit by spacing the PP away from the flywheel about .080, and stopped driving like an animal. This was all street-driving with 295s on the back, I wasn't about to give them up! The 340 discs last quite a while now.
So again, that GVOD has a bit of a learning curve. For me,in the end, it was worth it. When that 367 hit 93 (1/8th)first time out, jamming 5 ratios, I was ecstatic and parked her right then. Yes, sometimes I wonder what she coulda done, not in street tune, but.............................naw, 93 was lots.

Update; I run 3.55s now on the street. With the 3.09 low gear,the
starter gear at 10.97 (base1)is just right. And it
cruises at 65=2236(base2). But the nice part is 3.55s get me
32mph at 2710 in second, and 4360 in first(base 3).And
60mph is 6380 in first-over (base 4)
93 is 6140(base 5) in second over, about perfect for my combo.
I haven't run the qtr but if she could hit 116 it would be 7160 in third and 5590 in 3-od, neither of which is optimum. If she hits 112 it would be 6900 in 3rd,and 5400 in 3-od. Still sux, so I don't go. I figure 5 bases out of 6 is close enough for me.

Last edited:
Thank you for all this info, I’ll chew it over for some time. Very kind of you to hammer it all out.

-
Back