6.1 Carb conversion kit.

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering a 6.1 Hemi for my Valiant. However I would want it to have a carb conversion. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that produces a complete carb conversion kit for the 6.1? Unfortunately I have only come across bits and pieces made by various companies. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not sure anyone does a real complete kit anymore. I think Mopar used to offer something like that in their catalog, but not sure if it's there anymore. Otherwise it's pretty much an MSD Hemi 6 standalone box to run the ignition and a carb intake of your choice (ModMan, Edelbrock, etc.). I carbed my 5.7 initially and went that route.

The chip killer is a replacement front accessory system that incorporates a distributor, with the end result being no electronics (MSD Hemi 6) are needed to run the motor at that point.

If you just want to eliminate the EFI and go carb'd, this expense is not necessary.

I reckon those distributor conversion kits used to cost about 2.5K, probably close to what it would cost to get the factory EFI and electronic ignition up and running and then you still had to get the carb and intake.

Thanks Cichli Dart,
Wouldn't you know it I just bought an Edelbrock manifold and carb set up for the 5.7 with an MSD controller!! I really do like the old school look of the distributor, I might be tempted yet. looking at the photos the one concern that I have is that the distributor seems to sit up fairly high. I am wondering if I would have enough clearance under the hood. The engine will be going into a 68 Plymouth Valiant using Schumacher engine mounts. Has anyone seen this done in an A body as I would be keen to see photos.

Hello,
I am considering a 6.1 Hemi for my Valiant. However I would want it to have a carb conversion. Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that produces a complete carb conversion kit for the 6.1? Unfortunately I have only come across bits and pieces made by various companies. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
I am looking at all options for a carbureted 5.7 for my 69 dart. already have the 5.7. looking for the old school look. you might want to check out the INDY CYLINDER HEADS website. they have the Modman intake which you can mount the coils under intake. the also have the controller and harness made by MSD to fire coils and valve covers to make it look 426 HEMISH, old school look.. that's what I am looking for. looks like about $2500 for everything except carb. I was hoping to find someone out there who has done this. anyone listening? mopar also has a complete kit; runs about $4000. only problem for me is the coil packs still mount to v. covers; not under the intake like Modman intake. anyone out there done this? thanks

Indy's coil relocation kit and valve covers look great! The only issue is that the modman intake does not flow that well. It flows better with 2 four barrels than one, but there are other intakes that flow better in both configurations. The Edelbock flows better in the 2-4 set up and there is a new intake coming out that will be a better 4 barrel intake. See: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=317325

Joe Oconne is coming out with a dual plane intake. It's due out very soon.

just talked with him. the carbureted intake is due soon. injected intake just released. I believe he said about $650 for the intake. ignition coils do not bolt to bottom of his intake like the Modman-Indy intake. his is dual plane. I am looking at options for coil placement as I do want to hide them under the intake if I do this. maybe fab up a mounting plate, etc. anyone have any suggestions?

just talked with him. the carbureted intake is due soon. injected intake just released. I believe he said about $650 for the intake. ignition coils do not bolt to bottom of his intake like the Modman-Indy intake. his is dual plane. I am looking at options for coil placement as I do want to hide them under the intake if I do this. maybe fab up a mounting plate, etc. anyone have any suggestions?

I think HemiJoeJr did something like that with an Edelbrock intake, so I'm sure something is possible. Don't know what the Edelbrock looks like on the bottom though, so not sure sure where you would mount the plate.

This is how I made my own coil relocation. There is a bracket under the intake manifold that holds the coils. I have had it this way for years without issue. These are the early coils with the plug wire that ran the waste spark on the opposing cylinder. Originally I was concerned with the fact that there was only 1 coil wire and now I am running through 2 but I had to think about it. the originals were 1000 ohms per foot. The MSD wires are only 50 ohms per foot if memory serves to even with both plug wires there is less resistance than one of the originals. These are MSD wires for an early truck (Sorry about the red wires, at the time they didn't make black) They have been slightly modified for length and they I installed 90 deg boots on the bottom set of wires. The contact springs must also be cut down and installed inside the wires for the 90deg ends to make contact with the coils. I want to manufacture this setup but do not have the time to do it right now. They are also wired front to back so the wires are all almost the same length. Sorry if the pics are a little blurry, they are from an old flip cell phone camera.

Attachments

• 060108_18543.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 734
  • 060108_18542.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 060108_18591.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 607
  • 053108_14061.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 790
  • 060708_17042.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 659
Indy's coil relocation kit and valve covers look great! The only issue is that the modman intake does not flow that well. It flows better with 2 four barrels than one, but there are other intakes that flow better in both configurations. The Edelbock flows better in the 2-4 set up and there is a new intake coming out that will be a better 4 barrel intake. See: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=317325
after reading the negative comments here and other locations about the MODMAN intake; which I really wanted to run because of the coil mount bosses made to the bottom of their intake; I decided I would call INDY and ask about any possible issues? I told him I had read several negative comments on internet forums about their intake. the gentleman I talked with was very defensive, said they had absolutely no problems with those intakes and told me I needed to stay off the internet! so now I am waiting on JOE'S intake to be released.

Attachments

• Dumbed_down_Hemi_5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 563
  • Dumbed_down_Hemi_4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 796
  • Dumbed_down_Hemi_2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Dumbed_down_Hemi_1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 560
Fifefivem - You're doing the smart thing - I provided Joe OCone with a lot of dyno test data on the Modman so he knew exactly what the issues were - so he could design a better mousetrap.....and he has.

For what its worth...the attached sheet shows the difference between the Modman and the 5.7 Edelbrock dual quad.

Not only was this the best performance I could get from a Modman....but the 5.7 Eddy had a port mismatch on my 6.1 heads!!!

YET STILL....The Eddy out performed the modded Modman.

Eddy is the redline
Eddy with spacers is the purple line

Modman is the blue line :(

Same dyno, same weather, same carbs, same set up, all tuned for optimum peak HP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 398
Well I am please to say that the car is finally on the road . It took a bit longer (don't they always) than anticipated but we got there in the end. I used a distributor conversion kit from Arrow Racing (now called Prefix Corp) and engine mounts from Schumacher Creative Services. The biggest problem we had was getting a distributor to fit. In the end we used one for an Australian 6 cylinder BU Falcon. It drives great and looks like it actually belongs in the car. I know modern efi/electronics is more efficient but I just don't like the look of a modern Hemi in an old car, this looks like the business. Arrow and Schumacher were really helpful with all my stupid questions. LOL although Schumacher has stopped replying to my e-mails, must have worn him down in the end.
P1070871.JPG
P1070873.JPG
P1070870.JPG

Hello,

so after all that , have you done the sums compared to fitting an older hemi ?

so after all that , have you done the sums compared to fitting an older hemi ?
Hi Tasvalowna, Haven't added everything up but for me it was a no brainer. The last time I looked a re-manufactured 5.7 was costing around $2000US. Then you need to add the parts you want. Sure some of my parts were pricey but at the end of the day lot cheaper than a 426. Definitely bang for buck value.

-
Back