65 Barracuda w/500ci RB, Stage VI Max Wedge Port Heads, 6-speed, and 5.38 Dana

-

Brad4406

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's probably a bit early to post this since the only progress I've made in 4 years of owning it is switching it over to big bolt pattern disk brakes and cutting out the rear fender wells for tubbing, but I'm hoping to make some progress this Summer after I retire, move, and start my new job. I've deployed a lot over the last couple years with my current job and before that I spent a couple years overseas without it. Anyway, here it is. I plan to purchase rear frame rails from Autoweldchassis once I make them a template to match my floor. After that I'll install my 4.10 Dana w/ladder bars, diagonal link, and coil overs. After that I'll fab up my subframe connectors and roll cage. Oh, and the one thing I'm not really looking forward to is making my own headers. I may make a couple sets so I have a spare set just laying around. I have pretty much everything for puting this project together except time. Don't expect any progress pics for a few months as I'm still in the process of retiring.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=2174

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

DSCF3477.JPG

DSCF3925.JPG

4-speeds.JPG

Dana.JPG

Last edited:
I should have stayed long enough to retire, but I bailed from Travis AFB in '80...I'd be retired for about 15 years now...
Where are you moving to? You mentioned AutoWeld, they are about 30 minutes from me, its a shame you didn't post sooner I just scrapped a back half two weeks ago.

Dave

NICE! Your and my builds sound very similar.Im building a 70 Dart with 470 stage vi max wedge heads,83/4 etc. I have a 727 bb tranny but may wait for the Mcleod 5 speed reviews before deciding. I am also building headers,but am losing the inner fenders to make room. Also going with a fibreglass tilt nose to make maintenance easier and lose some weight from the front.

What intake rockers are you going to use? The mp ones are no longer in stock. I really want ductile iron ones so I can build a bullet proof vavletrain but the max wedge ports require more offset than a stock rocker has.

With the eddie super victor heads out there may be something I can use there,as they also require an offset intake rocker.

"I've got everything to put this project together except time..." you sound just like me... I'm deploying again soon, definitely feel your pain. That Cuda should be a handfull with the 4 speed, stay focused Brad and you will get her done... good luck with it.

Sounds like you have your handsfull,but will be a beast once completed.Good luck with the build!:clock:

I should have stayed long enough to retire, but I bailed from Travis AFB in '80...I'd be retired for about 15 years now...
Where are you moving to? You mentioned AutoWeld, they are about 30 minutes from me, its a shame you didn't post sooner I just scrapped a back half two weeks ago.

Dave
I'm moving to Dayton, OH. I have a lot of family in OH and some in PA.

That is typical for my luck on the back half scrapping.

Well, no other progress to date, but I have acquired more parts. I picked up another narrowed Dana, but a little wider than the one shown above so I don't have to backhalf the car to run it. I'm still going to run my ladder bars and coil over shocks as the Dana I purchased already has the brackets on it as well. I bought a fiberglass 6-pack scoop a few months ago. I recently picked up a fiberglass front end including fenders, valance, and hood. I also picked up an S&W cage for it at the same time. The fiberglass front end and cage came from a nice fella I met in Pimlico, SC with a 64 Valiant. I didn't look at it real close, but it looked pretty clean from what I saw in a dark garage. It's missing the front seats, engine and tranny, but it appears to be complete other than those items. It was originally a /6, 3-speed car. A new floor pan has been layed in the car, but not welded in yet. He's probably going to be selling it soon if anyone is interested.

Sounds like you got a good plan going and by posting here I'm sure there will be plenty of guys trying to help motivate you to get it done. That in it's self helps a lot, it's like having some accountability everyone is waiting for the next pic. Good luck with your build and thanks for you service, we couldn't do this kind of stuff if it wasn't for you guys being out there so thanks.

yeah....I second that "Thank you"

Ohio ain't so bad...your less than a two hours from the Nats...

and I'm just up the road (I-75) 100 miles!

I've made very little progress, but some is better than none. You can see from comparing the first two photos to the third, fourth, and fifth photos that I opened up the cuts for the tubs a little larger. I originally planned on moving the original cut out tub in to the frame rail and just filling in between. Since then I've decided to create my own tubs.

I bought the rectangle tubing for turning into sub-frame connectors. I've already cut both of them out. I plan to paint them today, except the last 4" on each end and where they go inside the car; I notched the floor already. Getting the connectors in will allow me to tie my ladder bar crossmember into them so I'm hoping to have the rear suspension done within the next month, as long as I can keep myself motivated.

I planned on looking for wheels at the Nationals, but it turns out the second narrowed Dana 60 I purchased is narrowed to exactly the measurements that I needed so the rims and tires I saved from the Duster are exactly the right width and backspacing. I sure got lucky there.

I've attached a few photos. I hope to be welding the connectors in later this week.

DSCF3830.JPG

DSCF3831.JPG

DSCF3911.JPG

DSCF3912.JPG

DSCF3913.JPG

DSCF3915.JPG

DSCF3916.JPG

DSCF3908.JPG

DSCF3910.JPG

Last edited:
Score; check out what I picked up a few hours ago Northeast of Indianapolis. Here's what the ad read:

I have a 6 speed transmission and bellhousing from a 1996 dodge viper GTS.

I can't believe someone didn't get it before I did. The ad had been posted since 4 October.

I was going to hold out for a Passon 5-speed, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Time to start looking for another Lakewood to adapt it to an RB.

DSCF3964.JPG

DSCF3965.JPG

Last edited:
looks like time to ..cut/chop/...well you know the rest

TIM......LIKES.....THIS ......CAR....!(lol!)This is gonna be a killer.

RB / 6 speed
Go for it!!!!!!!

FedEx brought me a package last night. I was out shooting pool, but my neighbor was nice enough to accept it for me. He brought it by tonight when I got home from work.

I bought it from KMJ Performance. After shipping charges, they were about $45 less than Summit. Here is their website:

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=2245&cat=0&page=7

QTIRM8073.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, it's been a long time since I posted anything in this thread. A while ago I put the engine, Lakewood scattershield, and 4-speed into the car. Prior to that I welded in the subframe connectors and ladderbar crossmember. I'll try to get pics of the suspension after I get the coil-over shocks installed.

After I finish the rear suspension, I plan to start on the headers.

DSCF3995.JPG

DSCF3994.JPG

Last edited:
Nice little snug fit. Headers going out the firewall I guess. Looks good man

-
Back