65 Cuda Automatic - HARD engage.

-

PiP Squeak

Reaction score
I’m working on a 65 Barracuda that was garaged for the past 20 years. I had it trailered to and from a transmission shop to replace the fluid and filter before we started it. They said that everything appeared to be okay. After adding fluid the transmission engages REALLY hard. Once your in gear it seems to shift fine, no slipping, noises or hard shifts. When you go from neutral to drive or reverse it SLAMS into gear so hard it either stalls the car or chirps the tires. Is there anything that can be checked/done short of pulling the transmission out and having it re-done?

The owner said it never did it before when he parked it 20 years ago. Could a seal or something have dried out that bad just sitting there in the garage?

What is your idle on the engine set at. If it's idling really high that could cause it.

..................if the rear band is too loose it will slam into reverse....does it hit as hard to drive..........kim.....

I've had the Idle as low as I could go and keep it running (400). It will definitely stall it when I put it into gear if the idle is to low. It's at about 550 to 600 now. I'm pretty sure it slams into both drive and reverse. I'll try it and see just to make sure, but I don't remember much difference.

-
Back